1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tips for surviving Orlando

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by The Stig, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I have many trips to the U.S under my belt although they are all Vegas, and in exchange for my ability to carry on visiting the oasis in the desert it's a family trip to Disneyland next month. Having never been here before I would appreciate any advice you can offer, we have already sorted park passes out and we are staying on International Drive.

2. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your budget allows, I would try and do a VIP Tour... it's expensive, but SO WORTH IT!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/vip-tour-services/

It's HOT in FL... Very hot and very humid, take breaks... go rest, go swim...

If you don't already have them, book dining reservations (especially the popular restaurants like: Be Our Guest, California Grill, Cinderella's Castle, Character Breakfasts like Chef Mickey's... they fill up FAST and many don't take walk-ins.

All the quick service restaurants (the kind you walk up to order and get your food at) will give you water with ice for free. It's filtered and doesn't taste bad at all... stay hydrated!

Make sure you check our Wishes (fireworks)... and if you want to avoid the in-park crowds, go over to the Polynesian for a late dinner and watch them from the Poly Beach (perfect spot).

If you have time (and the interest), the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral is very cool... and the drive isn't too bad (if you're renting a car).

USE FASTPASS! Especially if you don't go the VIP tour route.

Bring moleskin for your feet.... and make sure you're wearing shoes that are broken in, there's a LOT of walking at Disney.

Hmmmmm what else? :) I am a Disney Pro... if you have any questions or need recommendations, don't hesitate to ask :)

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

-MrsFuri

3. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you haven't already checked out this forum http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php. Its my go to when planning our family trips to Disneyworld. Enjoy! We've just booked our next trip for next Oct!

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are looking for an afternoon away from theme parks and enjoy animals, Gatorland - loved it.

Pick up some cheap rain ponchos before going. We have had to buy them twice at Disney. It rains long, and it rains hard in Florida. Or else we are just jinxed that every time we show up at Epcot, downpours of epic proportions happen :)

5. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as tips....be mindful of your surroundings (just as you would anywhere else) and when you fill up your rental car with gas, avoid the Suncoast Energys and Sun Gas, the last two gas stations on Butler National Drive just before Orlando International Airport which are known for price gouging....currently charging approximately $6 for a gallon of gas when the current average price is 2.62. Only cross at designated areas , and even then, be cautious, there are a lot of nutjobs out there. Lots and lots of hit and runs down here.
    If you want to get away, take a day trip over to either Cocoa Beach if you want "things to do" around you, or go to the Canaveral National Seashore if you prefer unspoiled beauty http://www.nps.gov/cana/index.htm. If you decide on the latter and want to take a nice little drive either before or after your beach trip, and its on the way, is Black Point Wildlife Drive http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Merritt_Island/Black_Point_Wildlife_Drive.html.aspx. Definitely check out to see if there are any rocket launches during your stay then you could incorporate the beach/launch in same trip. Enjoy and have a Great Time :)

6. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only tip I can offer to survive disney is alcohol and lots of it.

Pick one of these up for $3.98 on amazon.
    [​IMG]

Like Karl Malden use to say..."Don't leave home without it".

7. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips so far everyone, I will certainly have a look at the forum as well thanks Sam

8. Jaygee77

Jaygee77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're going to Disney, definitely be sure to download the My Disney Experience app. You can reserve up to three fastpasses per day through the app. You can also go to the kiosks at the parks to reserve an additional fast pass after you've exhausted your first three. If you keep going back to the kiosks, you can get 7-8 passes to skip all the queues.

I live in Orlando, worked at Universal for years, and am a Disney annual pass holder, so if you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to ask!

9. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI: Disneyland is a little closer to Las Vegas haha!
    We have Annual passes to all the Disney Parks as well as Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.
    We like Universal Studios much better. If your family likes Harry Potter then it's a Must See!
    My advise for any of the Parks is to get there early! It will be cooler in the morning and less crowded.

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know how old your kids are but they might enjoy the 2 Universal parks more than Disney (my son did). We took him to Disney when he was 4 and then 3 other trips when he was 6, 8 and 11 we went to Universal.

11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Avoid driving on the I-4 interstate as much as possible and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Stay and visit near the tourist areas. Should you make a return trip, I can provide more things to do and places to go outside the theme parks that show a different side of Florida. I have lived not far from Orlando for many years now.

12. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bring super lightweight rain ponchos or something of the likes. It is quite hot, and very humid! We've experienced thundershowers on every trip- if not every day, lol! We actually don't mind it as many people scatter and it can really free up a park- so long as you are dressed for it!

13. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most everyone has the main points covered so far. Ponchos are a good idea for sure. If you don't bring them, store ponchos will be ~$8 each. If you want to drink everyday, a flask would be a good idea too as the Magic Kingdom is still alcohol free except for dinner at "Be Our Guest", and good luck getting a res for that now (res window starts 180 days in advance)!!! Every other park has alcohol, but you definitely pay for it, basically Vegas strip bar prices without the gambling comp! Craft beer connoisseurs like myself also must study this http://beersandears.net/wdw-beer-list/ But if you are still outside of 45 days, check soon after that window for restaurant reservations because that's a major cancellation date for upcoming trips.

But one thing that wasn't clarified is download the "My Disney App" NOW!!! Fastpasses may be booked as soon 60 days out via the app (or the web). Ideally, you want to complete your initial 3 fastpasses as quickly as possible in the day, so you can gain more throughout the day. You can NOT add fastpasses unless you complete the first three of the day!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  14. zing

zing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay on Disney property if you can. Sure it's expensive but it's part of the experience, similar to how staying at one of the big Strip hotels is part of the Vegas experience.

15. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good point VegasChic, there seems to be a pop up shower almost every day. They rarely last more than a few minutes but having a poncho is a good idea.

16. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks I had been told that they get showers there so a poncho will be a worthy purchase

17. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a quick question, I now have vouchers for the theme park passes, it says that when picking up the passes I need to show Government issued I.D. I use my driving licence when in Vegas for I.D so just checking that would suffice for this. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.