1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can anyone help my generating a layover for my next vegas trip

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by simonay, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonay

simonay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

Only just returned from Vegas but got a good offer and going to be heading back in September. As a keen NFL fan i'd love to combine it with a trip to see the Raiders play so i'd like to do the following:-

Fly from either Chicago airport to arrive in ideally Oakland International (or at a push SFO) at about 11am, then for the second leg have a mighty long layover until 7pm at which point the flight carries on to Vegas.

I don't know how to search for this kind of routing as its not going to be very popular with the very long layover but the plus point doing it this way (As i understand it) is that my bags will automatically be taken over to the next flight leaving me hassle free for the game.

Any ideas on sites as to how i can map this out or how would you guys approach this?

Cheers,
    Simon

2. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Oakland is a southwest hub. Maybe try calling them?

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easiest, but most likely a bit more expensive, would be to call the airlines or contact a travel agent who have access to this type of bookings.

4. simonay

simonay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok good stuff, i'll drop southwest a line then, thanks peeps

5. vegasboundsoon

vegasboundsoon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can probably do it on expedia. Just click on the multiple destination tab. You should be able to search for flights that give you the layover you're looking for.

6. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Virgin America has a few through San Francisco.. Try using matrix.itasoftware.com, from ORD to LAS, and enter X:SFO in the advanced routing options. I didn't see anything through Oakland. Also, watch for Southwest, as they fly from MDW in Chicago, and if you're arriving from the UK, you might be coming into ORD.

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The two suggestions mentioned above are your best options;

1. If you're coming in from the UK and connecting in Chicago to Vegas keep your original UK-Chicago-Vegas itinerary and use Southwest to book a separate trip from Vegas to Oakland.

2. Call whichever airline you use from the UK and tell them the routing you want.

Good luck!

8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try this routing tool. It's the bomb!

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

9. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have to see the Raiders in Oakland? Im just looking at their schedule The're in Chicago to play the Bears on October 4th could you go to Vegas in late September then travel back to the UK via Chicago on your way back to UK?

No resort with LVA coupon
    Everyone's a Winner Contest Freebie
  10. Brick

Brick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to see another Raiders fan on VMB! Dutchvelvet is right about checking with SW. FYI - The only home Raiders games in September are 9/13 vs. Bengals and 9/20 vs. Ravens. I have season tickets so let me know which one you attend and I will invite you to the tailgate.

11. simonay

simonay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the links and suggestions.

I've had a play with the Matrix software and there's a way to do this with San Francisco and United so i'll try Southwest and see if they can do anything as that would be far more convenient and a bit cheaper too. Great tool though!

The dates just work out for me in September perfectly as they are, get into Chicago on Sept 10th, couple of days at Riotfest seeing friends and then the Raiders home opener, followed by a trip to Vegas that gives me exactly the right amount of time to qualify for Platinum and within my offer period too.

Loving the invite to a tailgate, i've never been before so that's very kind. I might struggle with the home opener as its an early morning flight from Chicago which might land a bit close to kick off but i'm staying in San Fran for the weekend of the Ravens one so would love to join you guys on the 20th!

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DANGER DANGER ALERT

Before you get too far into this, keep in mind that any schedule problems can totally ruin the plan.

If you are trying to fly from city A to city B with a stopover in the middle.....and there are flight problems, they can easily just reroute you from A direct to B and eliminate that stopover.

Go online and look at some separate options. AND - Southwest will not show in some tools and most online travel sites.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest does not show up on Expedia.

14. simonay

simonay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the warning there, i like the idea of southwest because they are both direct flights, MDW-OAK and OAK-LAS, the issue is just having somewhere to store my suitcase during the game as there doesn't appear to be any lockers at the airport or the stadium that can easily be used. My thought is if they can combine on one ticket they can check these through from the original flight but i need to actually talk to them directly now... cheers all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.