1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

This never works out very well!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Piggylane, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They make signs for a reason: read them.

That silly little red circle with the slash on top of the coathanger symbol actually means something: don't use it to hang your shirts!

I uploaded 22 infrared and visible pictures of an incident this week just down the hall from me on the 15th floor of a nice hotel here in Nashville. You can see them at:

http://piggylane.smugmug.com/Water-Loss-due-to-Coat-Hanger#!/

The images were taken with my FLIR thermal imager. I work for the company and was in the hotel for business. The dude who was in room 1515 used the sprinkler head to hang his shirts on it. I am just about to check out of 1508 and catch a flight home. About 9 rooms on this floor flooded. The water traveled down to the 6th floor. The Engineering Manager extimates $500K damage and some rooms out of service 30 days.

He was not "Guest of the Day"

Sprinkler heads of that size are supposed to flow 200 gallons per minute! The water flowed for over two minutes. Figure it out...

This happened to me in Caesar's Palace several years ago. Got woken up at 2 a.m. by the Fire Alarm. Went down the hall and water was dripping down the ceiling.

Wonder if it was the same dude?

No matter how many SWA drink coupons you use on your flights, use the closet for it's intended purpose...

2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

The PUBLIC building I work in - is currently under construction for a new roof.
    Signs EVERYWHERE -
    Fences blocking sidewalks + stairs so nobody has debris land on their heads.
    I can't tell you HOW MANY IDIOTS I have witnessed trying to move the fences
    so they can walk up a blocked off staircase - into a debris + dumpster area w/ a huge crane sitting there.
    IDIOTS !.............Where are you going ?.........It's a fence ! .....with 50 lbs sandbags holding it in place ! ...IDIOT ?
    These are the same @holes who can't walk 25 ft to a garbage can to drop litter it it !
    Yesterday, A guy pulls in -- jumps outta his car and walks into the fenced off construction area toward
    the PORT-O-SAN..........behind a crane w/ a huge container up in the air !
    I said, "What are you doing ?"
    "I'm gonna use the Pot-o-potty...why ?"
    I explained, "That is a fenced off contruction area.....now, you can walk in there +
    get some debris to hit you in the head -- you'll probably win insurance money even though it was
    your own fault -- but you won't be able to enjoy that money settlement cos you won't be alive."
    ( I let the jaggoff into the closed building to crap )

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember reading a hotel review of the Orleans years ago where a woman gave them 1 star and was irate that the Orleans kicked her and her son out of the hotel because her son but a hanger on the sprinkler and set it off. Every time I see those no hanger signs I think of her.

4. Piggylane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked the next morning if he was still a guest of the hotel.

I was politely told NO.

In Denver a few years ago some wiseass kids from a soccer group decided it would be a good idea to flood a tub on the eighth floor, I have those images too. They threw the whole group out, all the families, even those not involved and banned the school from ever staying at the hotel again. We do business at the hotel ten times a year. When I checked in there was a message from the Hotel Manager for me to call her. My meeting room costs were free that week in exchange for helping out!

Water losses happen all the time. Most hotels are very proactive in getting rid of the water. Mold can grow in a day as I documented here and it has to be dealt with properly or it stays forever. Some people are sensitive to molds (me), some allergic.

Joe's point is spot on. Dopes will get injured or killed then sue. How many morons cut energized copper cables in switchyards, despite the warnings? I call it natural selection but the trial lawyers see it another way.

5. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just curious. How does the hanger set off the sprinkler? Is there a sensor that it triggers or something?

6. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most people do not read signs. Idiots.

7. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its lightly soldered closed...minimal heat melts the solder and water flows so hanging something on it can break the solder and release water

8. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can the Hotel hold the idiot responsible for the water damages?

Joe, I work in construction and your post is spot on: I can't believe how many stupid, idiotic people are out there that won't heed our signs to keep out. They would walk past, under, or around the barricades and fences without hardhats and proper footwear and ask "When is this project gonna open?"

You don't know how many times I felt like telling them "For you, never. You'll probably be dead if you don't leave now."

10. Piggylane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The insurance company pays for the clean up and restoration losses but I'm sure their premium takes a hit. Not sure about the liability to the guest. He told them he accidentally knocked it off taking his jacket off but there was a suit in a bag on the bed and no jacket when LP got to the room. I doubt he got points for the night

If anyone is in the hotel business maybe they would know. I just stay in one 200 plus nights per year.

11. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Palm Springs, we saw the remanents of one those times when an idiot uses the sprinkler head for a hanger. We were just there to pick up our rental car. The fire trucks were still there. Guests had to be found new accommodation. Was going to cost the hotel a fortune.

For this kind of stupidity, I hope this is the type of thing were the idiot can be sued.

Interesting photos PL.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to mention renting out your hotel rooms to groups of school kids. We have seen many horror stories of how kids trash or have a party in the rooms. This has always been a problem even when I was in High school in the 70's. Chaperones had to closely watch to make sure that nobody messed up the place (and were warned that the school would never be allowed to stay at that hotel if they did). It was even worse in college where there was no chaperone to make sure the college kids don't abuse or damage the hotel. We still see stories of idiot kids or groups or frats or sororities that stayed at a hotel only to trash the rooms or hallways. Total morons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.