1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

flying upgrades to first class?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by h0und10, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    flying sun country from Minneapolis to Vegas this summer. 3 hour flight and 1st class is a 169 dollar upgrade (each way) up to an hour before take off. (Boeing 737-800)
    My question is can you do anything like "the 20 dollar trick here"? do the gate agents have any wiggle room? If a half hour before the flight takes off and they have empty seats up in first class are they more inclined to upgrade people?

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about Sun Country, but typically, the gate agents don't any flexibility since it is a "re-ticket".

Now, in the "old days", flight attendants had the latitude to upgrade (i.e. re-seat you).

3. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Upgrades are based on status for frequent fliers. Does this airline have such a program?

4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah but i just switched airports and had to switch airlines as well. so from now on this will be my go to airline maybe 3-4 times a year, but this will be my first so i might have to wait to build up a bit of cred before I try. But it won't hurt to dress nice, be polite and ask!

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no blanket. Can't help on your airline but we upgrade often on Alaska, even in years when we haven't achieved status. If not done in advance, the first window is a check in 24 hours out. That's standard when fc is wide open. Other times we do it when checking in at the airport or even at the gate prior to boarding. You just never know. We're rather successful on Hawaii and Mexico trips, maybe 50 percent. $100/person typically. Five hours not in steerage? WELL worth it, even if you've already paid to check bags.

6. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3-4 times a year is not a frequent flier.

7. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally use Sun Country out of MSP for my Vegas trips (3-4 times a year). I have upgraded to 1st class several times; mostly recently (in April), I upgraded on line when I did the 24 hour pre-flight check-in option. I have also upgraded at the airport counter. Last time there were only five other people in first class and they announced at the gate before boarding and again before takeoff that they still had first class seats available for the additional fee. I doubt that the people at the counter or the flight attendants have any leeway in "bumping" you up to 1st class using the $20 "trick". My next flight with Sun Country is in a couple of weeks and I am leaning to again buy the upgrade. To me, flying first class to start my Vegas vacation is a great way to start out the trip. I normally check my suitcase( fee is waived for 1st class), I get to board first and I am promptly served a cocktail before takeoff, the meals have been pretty good for the most part, so I don't have to buy food at the airport and pay airport prices, never have to wait to use the restroom, which is reserved for 1st class passengers only, am provided with a moist hot towel before or after my meal, the first class area is usually quiet so I can take a nap if I want to, can't beat the 1st class seats for comfort and I am one of the 1st people off of the plane..ready to hit Vegas running. You can always try the $20 method...if it works, great! Let me know if it works!

8. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pay the $169.

Think about it: $35 bag fee... 5 cocktails @ $8 each = $75.
    So - for just the better seat, easier & faster boarding & de-planing, you're only paying $94.
    I think it's worth it.

Annual Spring Trip!
  9. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow, i think you just sold me on paying for it! i will leave my cheap buddies back in coach! when are you flying out in a couple weeks? i am leaving July 16th!

10. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    is it a 5 cocktail max? do they serve on 8am flights? Can you get simple mixed drinks?

11. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out on Sun Country from MSP to Vegas on July 9th. It's an 8 A.M. flight, but you can bet your ass I will be swilling down some free cocktails during the flight. They provide the basic cocktails; I usually have a Gin (Tanqueray) and tonic before take-off and during the flight. They also have a couple of different kinds of beer available. They have a white (chardonnay) and a red (Merlot) wine, but it's not the best. I don't think they have a limit for the number of cocktails. A couple of flights ago I had a guy in the adjacent first class seat down a couple of vodka and OJ's before we took off and consumed at least 8 more drinks before we landed. Granted, this guy was huge, but the flight attendant kept bringing him the drinks without hesitation during the flight. I guess they will serve you as long as you don't start taking off your shirt and get unruly...lol. Like topcard indicated, it's a pretty decent deal with all things considered.

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, what happens when you show up at the rental car counter obviously under the influence? :)

13. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your "max" is determined solely by the [STRIKE]cocktail waitress[/STRIKE]....oops...flight attendant! You may have as many as they'll serve you. 8AM flights? No problem...trust me - I know...I've got a 7AM flight out on Saturday & I fully intend to take advantage of complimentary cocktails... I just use the number 5 because that's fairly typical for me on a 2.5 to 3 hour flight.
    .. and "simple mixed drinks"?
    Not sure what you mean, but that's basically ALL they serve... you won't be getting a Long Island Tea on the plane... gin/tonic, vodka/tonic, jack/coke, bloody mary, vodka/cranberry...that sort of thing.

Annual Spring Trip!
  14. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect! yeah vodka/juice jack/coke is all I really need. 5 drinks is a nice number, maybe one for each state I fly over! Can I give or purchase drinks for my 2 buddies back in coach? that would be the ultimate rub it in there face :thumbsup:

15. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they would allow you to purchase drinks for them. Might just need to know their seat numbers or point them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.