1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf will have to wait...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by wanker751, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As well as teaching my son to skate...he is in lessons but needs as much ice time as possible and my wife cannot skate.

After a long winter it is finally getting warm. Well when it get's warm the kids get crazy. Two 8th grade boys jumped a 7th grade boy in the bathroom. After a few punches, they dragged him out, picked him up and slammed him to the ground..right into my knee. :grrr::grrr:

Just got back from doc on Monday he diagnosed me with a sprained cruicate ligament (I assume ACL). I am not in a ton of pain but it for sure weak and it does hurt from time to time. It just feels "not right" I am lucky I guess it was not my other knee that had pateller realignment done to it. Doc said ice it for a week also got Vimovo (naproxen with esomeprazol), No MRI ordered yet I assume he thinks it is not a tear, but if I am in pain in two weeks, I need to go back.

Anyone had a sprained knee? Anyone have a time table for me to go back to normal stuff. I am weight bearing no brace. Too bad there is too much weight though... So I should rephrase and fat guys have this? :evillaugh Just getting anxious and my doctor when I asked just said "you'll be ok"

2. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's up with those 8th graders? Already asses? Do they give swats in school anymore? Lol. They probably should. Sorry about your knee. For me it was ankles. Lots of sprained and broken ankles. As long as it isn't torn you will be ok. Feel better soon!

3. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha. Thanks. Yeah unfortunately I believe all 3 boys are involved in gangs. Since I have been there in October I have been able to see them get more and more disinterested in school. I heard both kids got picked up by the cops. One actually is a 7th grader in 8th grade.

As for thw swats, a girl came up to me, no other teacher, or other kids, with a big bruise on her face over her eye. Said she got in an argument with her mom and mom did it. As mandated reporter I had to call it in, not that I would not without having to. It is tough in the inner city schools...

My first knee injury was actually a golfing injury. Dislocated it, my spikes suck but knee went. It kept popping out after rehabilitation. That is why I opted for the surgery, which was 15 years ago. Lucky though I tore nothing then too! I assume with the field test the doc would have sensed a tear. It just sucks.

4. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

Wow, that is tough. I really admire your dedication to teach in an environment like that.

My only sprained knee was 30 years ago so I'm not much help. I hope you feel better soon.

5. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope that's either for speed or hockey...

6. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got it. Back in my day we got "Swats" in school. Public school. If you acted up you would go to the principles office and received swats from the vice principal. If you were handed the sentence of day 6 swats usually 3 right now and 3 in the bank for next time. Some guys received 10 swats and I couldn't imagine the pain. They would make you pull down your pants, leave your underwear on, bend over a chair and count backwards from 20. It was a piece of would with holes in it. One time I got 2 (for something I didn't even do) and I had welts for 4 weeks or more. Never told my parents. Remember, this is junior high. 7th, 8th and 9th grades. 1972 ish...

7. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hockey. He is 4. He plays floor hockey like 70% of the time. Been in skating since he was three. I had plantar fasciitis last year and could not get out there with him. He is not progressing like the other kids but I am not that worried about it. He likes it.

He is in the ice show, it was free for him I figured the ice time would be best for him.

8. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah my mom mentioned the nuns and the rulers in the 50's.

9. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks.... I was not looking for compliments but thank you.

I cannot imagine doing anything else.

10. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

I had one of those nun's in the 70s. I never had the ruler across the knuckles, although I spent all of 5th grade convinced that she secretly played linebacker for the Bears every Sunday. A mean, ornery woman.

11. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to a Catholic HS in Chicago. Run by the Carmalites. So no mean nuns. But we did have a teacher if you feel asleep, he would turn his state ring around an you'd get it in your head. Never happened to me. That or you'd have to kneel down, hands behind your head on hardwood floors.

We also did not have detentions...we had JUGs... Justice Under God :evillaugh Which just a more ominous sounding detention. The one nun we had there, who was old 15 years ago when I had here, and is STILL THERE. She would write two sentences and the board and you had to come up with 100 4 letter words or more from the letters she had up. You could not leave until you did so.

12. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

That does sound ominous.lol.

All of the other nuns were really sweet, it was just her who wasn't very nice.

13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember. The "Paddle" (That's what we called it) looked like a small oar. Our vice principle hung it over his desk on the wall. Yep. It had holes in it.....

14. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

You have my utmost respect if you are teaching at a school in the south side. My ex grew up near the corner of 79th and king so I would visit the area during some of my weekend trips.

I know how bad those little kids are!!!

My temper for disrespect is extremely low so I know that I could never be a teach any of those bad ass kids. I remember being in the store once grabbing some toiletries that I needed and some teenager bumped into me and had the nerve to say "excuse you" to me as if I was the one who bumped into her. I turned my neck around in the speed of light getting ready to tell her off and my ex, knowing how I am, covered my mouth and dragged me out because he said that she was probably carrying a gun or blade lol.

My ex is the only one from his crew of childhood friends who "made it out" (u of chicago mba/jd) and that has nothing to do with the teachers in the area. It has to do with the fact that many of them were born to teenagers so their parents are still in their 20's

15. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you....Ah 79th and King. The school I was at for 8 years was 13 block north and probably 8 blocks east of there. We pulled kids from that area though.

16. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :grrr:grrr::bang::cuss::cuss:

Ugh... so today, 5 minutes from the end of the day a guy and a girl 7/8th got into a fight in class. Guy was one responsible for my knee injury in first place. Anyway the kids helped me separate them. I got in between, walked towards the guy so the he could not get back at the girl. Got a desk thrown at me...into my bad knee! I could barely walk out of school. Stiff now, but not as painful. I felt a pop in my knee....fuck.... back to the doctor tomorrow.

I had the kid arrested. I hate to have to call the cops on the kid but it seems like the school will do nothing, not that they can do much. Turns out a mother also pressed charges against the kid, last week! Because he got in a fight with ANOTHER GIRL Kid is a tatted up with gang tattoos already. Really it is sad to see his life going down the drain with no one at home to stop it. So young.

17. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

sorry that this happened to you.

from what I was told, 11-13 is the age that they start getting recruited into gangs.

My ex always told me that the reason that he did so well was because he saw the ugly fat guys in middle school with cute girls and asked them how they did it. they told him that they were already dealing drugs and that they were buying the girls gifts. he then went home to talk to his dad about this and his dad told him that he needed to stay in school and make money the legal way because that would be the only way that he'd be able to get cute girls and actually enjoy them in the long term lol. That's also when they decided that it was time to send him to private school.

If any of your kids went from rags to having nice things, then you know what happened....

18. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks it sucks. Especially since I had a really good day, taught the 8th grade the Pythagorean theorem cause the math teacher was out. I even got this kid to do it and understand it. I had some great questions while teaching the Constitution. Sucks.

Ha! Good advice dad!

Yeah see I have been in HS my whole career except for this year since Oct. I've seen them without a lot of hope in HS 17, 18. I had no clue it started so young. It really sucks.

I went to a Catholic HS, it was a block from where I ended up teaching for 8 years at the public school.

Small world part of the story. The cop that booked the kid, I bought my house from his brother.

19. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to doctor yesterday. I am out of work at least for the rest of this week. Got a steroid shot in my knee for the swelling and inflammation...that was pleasent!

States Attorney got a hold of me yesterday morning. Asked if I wanted this to go to court, or to a program called diversion for juveniles where the young man has to admit guilt, go to counseling with his family, anger management and community service. Since he has no record. He can only do this once and if he does not follow through it will go to court. Being someone who wants this young man to turn his life around, I chose that.

I had a buddy who interned for the juvenile public defender and he said he has a better chance getting help in this program.

I hope it works out.

20. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Figured I'd update everyone on this since school is now over...

Going for an MRI soon, doctor does not like the progress I am making. I am feeling better not limping and mostly pain free, but it does not feel right. It does not feel stable. But the past few weeks have been a lot better then the first few.

The kid that did this to me was not suspended. He was put in in-school suspension for the rest of the year. I was told his graduation privileges would be taken away but they were not. He went to the luncheon. Any day I was out (I had an interview and missed 3 days) he was not in ISS and allowed back in the classes with his friends. Apparently I was the problem?

Oh well he did miss his graduation, cause he is in jail now. He robbed, and beat up someone that beat up his buddy, with a gun. So within a month he attacks a boy in the bathroom hurts me, punches a girl in the face outside of school, punches a girl in the face in school, and throws a desk at me and commits armed robbery. Good times.

Still no golf, and no skating with my kid yet.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.