1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

U.S. Open at Chambers

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that is WAY cool. Love this course. Love the outside-the-box demands. Way to go USGA.

I don't handicap golf, but the winner is going to be fit, imaginative, patient and a great putter.

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good article in the L.A. Times today about Speith and his caddy, and how the caddy has local knowledge of Chambers Bay since that is where he learned to caddy several years ago. Mike Davis of the USGA set up committee stated recently that any Pro who thinks he can go out there with 2 practice rounds and think he knows the course is fooling themselves. Might be good for Speith with the local knowledge, having played there in the US Amateur, and he said that he has about 6 practice rounds there recently. Speith also putts really well. Speith stated that it is not how far you can hit it at Chambers bay, it is where you leave your drive for the best angle / approach to the pin position.

I hate to pick front runners, but Speith should do well this weekend.......................

- - - Updated - - -

didn't you just describe Speith, lol

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  4. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've read a couple articles about the greens being in really bad shape. Should be a fun week in the press tent.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And ultimately that's the fun and folly of prognostication ... it's still a crapshoot. How'd Rory fair in those last two tourneys, for instance? Pick him every time and he'll probably return a (phenomenal) 20% rate. That's still the Mendoza Line. lol

Does DJ have the head for something like this? Doral was pretty impressive but he's had a lot of his usual brainfarts this year.

Gonna be fun to watch, for sure.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's missing a few windmills and the hole where you have to hit it through the clown's mouth. A 530 yard par 4 that plays an average score of 5..... Should be fun to watch, though!

7. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love how Mike Davis of the USGA has so many options in the course set up. Tee boxes and hole distances that are open to daily change make for truly something differnt. And with Norman doing the commentary (remember, he actually promoted a new pro tour and is no friend of the PGA hierarchy), it should be fun to watch.
    It's no wonder so many pros, all pampered with pristine fairways and greens, are so trepidatious to go out of their comfort zones.
    They have to adjust to the Open Championship but the USGA's lack of deference to tour egos is always a treat.
    They have likewise been negative about the rough in recent U.S. Opens and found that their concerns were not warranted. More's the pity.
    I so hope the wind blows.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well stated, M.

Brown is good. Look at the whiners last year over what they "did" to Pinehurst ... and it was a rousing and immensely popular Open and Open venue. Call me crazy but I think the guys should actually play the course and the event and then comment on it.

As for the windmill, I must've played a different course than you played, Snidely.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Five guys I'd like to see win this thing, in order:

Phil
    Miguel Angel
    Rickie
    Patrick Reed
    Tiger (yes, Tiger)

10. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They've gotten REALLY lucky with weather this year. 20% chance of showers Friday. Normally you've got a 50/50 chance of having sun or downpours this time of year. Whoever scheduled this didn't know WA weather and got damn lucky LOL

11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm only going by what I saw on TV last night. They showed a hole where the best play is to carry a mound 270yards from the tee. And a par 3 where there two tees about 200 yards from each other.

Did you watch the TV show with R. Trent Jones' two sons and their feud?

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't see the show. The family dysfunction is true.

Not seeing how that is goofy golf. And if you're talking about #9, which uniquely can play uphill or downhill, I don't know a lot of par 3s like that. I don't see that as silly, though. Remember, this is a core course with a building envelope pushing 1000 acres.

On the other matter of color and green condition, a recent report: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/us-open-2015-tour-pro-sounds-chambers-bay?xid=golf_social

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They understand weather. The U.S. Open is held the same time every year, regardless locale. Rory's water-logged Congressional or Goosen's burnt-over Shinnecock, it's the U.S. Open.

14. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snidely,
    do you have much experience with links golf?
    Greens that are 100' deep and 65' wide.
    Landing a ball 40 yards short intentionally.
    Putting from 25 yards off the green with regularity.
    Never hitting a flop shot or spinning a checking chip.
    3 or 4 club winds.
    It's not Augusta National and it makes for really, really creative shot making.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't wait for Normans commentary..Go, Phil!!

16. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not much. There are a couple links style courses that I've played but nothing that extreme as you describe. The silliness factor is based on what they were describing on TV last night that the ball can ricochet and wind up in all kinds of wrong places. It seemed that the luck factor would enter into play too much.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Americans think golf is an aerial game to a soft catcher's mitt. That's one style of play. Not the only. Certainly not the only or dominant form around the world. What makes Chambers so good is that they did with the site exactly what should've -- perhaps only could've -- been done. It's links-y because of the sand and fescue, the openness and contours. It is not links-y because of the often extreme elevation changes. It took vision to think PNW and not shove a parklander on that piece of dirt (err, pit of sand).

18. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what you guys think about online golf games, but I'll say this anyway. WGT has Chambers Bay, and it is rather informative to play two or three simulated rounds.

19. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the words of Bart Scott, "can't wait!"

20. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Average rainfall in the Tacoma area is low in summer. Wind is also relatively low in the Tacoma Narrows in summer. According to friends who live just across the bridge in Gig Harbor, this summer has been hotter than usual.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.