1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Does One Day Really Matter?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by phade, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming from the east coast and generally once a year to Vegas....I really prefer slightly longer trips than the average, especially based on the time east coasters stay there thanks to that awesome survey that was done here this past month.

I like my trips to be 6 days and 5 nights. Everyone else I go with thinks it is too long...they want 4 days 3 nights or 5 days and 4 nights max. I despise this. I work my rear off, like everyone else, and Vegas is really about "getting away" from work. I find I don't get that "ahhhhh, I'm relaxed and having fun feeling" until the start of the second full day in Vegas, even if I don't check work email or calls. Shortening the trip for me really limits the amount of time I feel relaxed and having fun. I don't take an extra day to recover before returning to work after leaving Vegas, so the last day there in Vegas work starts creeping into my mind.

My wife and family/friends get burned out too fast, even if they are relaxing and not partying it up 100% of the time.

My next trip is way off, but trying to nail down dates and length of stay is being discussed.

2. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    two weeks would be awesome, but then shit, i might not leave

3. zolar31

zolar31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also from the East Coast and agree with everything in your post. Flights are expensive, and rooms are cheap.

Last June I went out 2 days before my wife and friends (solo). I told my wife that I wanted to play in a couple of WSOP deepstack tournaments. She could come with me, but I will be at the RIO from 2PM - 2AM.
    Anyway went out alone for 2 days; played in 2 WSOP events; busted early in both; played a lot cash games at the rio; and got to spend a couple of hours at the pinball hall of fame.

2 days later picked up the wife and friends at the airport and proceeded to do all the group activities for the next 4 days. pool, shows, bars, food, walking around.
    Everyone had a great trip.... maybe this is one option for you.

4. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    East Coast - Here... I go early morning and I go often enough that 3 days is perfect for me. Anything over 4 is really pushing it.

5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take 3 trips per year and have found my trips have lengthened over the years.

18 years ago, I started with 3 full days/3full nights. Then it went to 4D/4N, then 5D/5N. This Saturday marks my first 6D/6N trip. My flights are always first one outbound and first one return.
    95% of my trips are solo, so I take my time when it comes to day to day meanderings. Works for me!

6. Jjd234

Jjd234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also from the east coast (Boston) usually only get to go once a year at most so longer is better. Last Halloween went for 6 nights, I thought it was perfect but people have said they think it's too long. after that long ass flight three or four nights wouldn't seem enough. Also when you stay for more nights, you can relax and not feel like you are wasting precious Vegas time

7. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel from the UK and visited Vegas for the first time last year, in February, when I spent 3 nights in San Francisco and 4 nights in Vegas. I liked it. So I went back in August and spent 7 nights in Vegas and 7 in NYC. I still liked it. I leave this Friday and will spend 9 nights at the Rio (playing poker in the WSOP), then 3 nights staying in the middle of nowhere in Sequoia National Park, then back to Vegas (Aria) for another 3 nights before heading home. I certainly don't think 6 nights is too long. It's an 11 hour flight from here, so I want to make sure I spend enough time to make that worthwhile.

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe consider a solo trip. Spend a day at the pool. Explore, reflect, and rejuvenate.

Another suggestion is go 3 days ahead of your companions. Win-win for everyone.

Edit: Should've checked first, seems the suggestion has already been mentioned. Apologies.

9. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also from eastern 4.5 hour flight.
    I prefer and always do 5 nights min.

10. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also was a 5 night minimum kinda guy before I became a flight attendant. Once I started flying free I started doing 3 night stays. Then I started doing 2 night stays followed by 1 night in San Diego/Tijuana.

Now I live here....so I'm here just about every day...except for the days I'm working and I end up in some other US or International city!

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So go out with the group for 4 or 5 nights, they leave, you stay another week. What's the question again?

12. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anytime I take time off work I want to maximize that time away.

Even though my flight to Vegas is only 2.5hrs I like to be in town for 4 nights at least. I have done less and more but 4 is my sweet spot. Anything less and I feel rushed.

Most of the time I will fly out at night and get to Vegas after 9pm local time...so I look at that as my settling in period. I get checked in, buy whatever I have forgotten at home along with drinks and snacks for the room and then I will get after the craps tables for a couple hours. The next morning, which begins the first full day, is when I get into my Vegas routines.

13. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of BOS or MHT & with fewer and fewer nonstops. From the time I leave home to the time I arrive at my hotel can be upwards of 12 hours and I fight jet lag the first day or 2. I have tried trips of anywhere from 3 nights to 12 nights. I hated the 3 night trip, and although I love the longer trips my bankroll just can't comfortably sustain them. Slowly but surely I have decided that 5 days is about right for me. My upcoming trip will be 6 nights, but I arrive at 9:30pm and leave on a late morning flight. So I will have 5 full days. Much more than that and it is a stretch for my bankroll.

14. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the stay an extra night or two from the rest of the group. That way you can do whatever you want. As an east coaster I agree, it takes me until Day 2 sometimes 3 before I get over the travel day. One thing I have noticed is I feel better arriving early....I still need to get to bed that first night at a decent time but I feel much better the next day. Depending on your flight it can be a longggg travel day. That is why I try to do early morning nonstops now.

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from Hawaii where lately flights to vegas are in the $600 and up range I usually will try to get to vegas once or twice a year so I don't mind staying a few more days.

It's unfortunate because the boyd vacations Hawaii charters are only 5 and 4 nights and even then you get in late in the evening/night and you leave in the morning so I only look at them as only 3 or 4 full day stays. Rates are also high, for a single it is close to $800 so I usually wait for the airline specials (hope one comes up soon as I'm itching to go to vegas in August or September).

Lately I've been staying in vegas 6 nights 7 days and feel comfortable with that. Plus I don't mind the redeye flights so I get there early morning and most of the time I leave after midnight so I save on rooms on both ends.

16. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, it's all who I'm going with. To put things into context, I'm 28 years old, so I like to have a good time, gamble and drink.

Last year, I went for a family wedding and went six nights, 7 days (redeye on final day). It wasn't enough time, as there was so much "family" and "wedding" time that I didn't get to gamble or drink nearly as much as I would. If I go with just my girlfriend, again, not as much gambling or drinking, so five or six nights never feels like long enough. When I go with my buddies, which is usually once or twice a year, 4 or 5 nights is what I do, but I don't think my body nor wallet could handle more.

So yeah, for me, it's all about the company. Sometimes 7 nights isn't long enough, some times 5 nights feels like too many. 4 never feels wrong though, I don't think I'd ever do any less.

17. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have zero desire to do a solo trip of any sort in Vegas unless it was work-related. I know people love it, but the appeal to me just isn't there.

I usually spend a significant amount of vacation time each year, two weeks or so, away from my wife/family pursuing another hobby of mine, so more alone time isn't really needed.

18. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also an from the east coast. I think the length of stay people are comfortable with depends on the amount of partying they do. I know that is the case with my friends. I don't drink and like to be in Vegas just playing VP and poker. The longest trip I have made solo was 5 nights but my wife and I once stayed for 16 nights. It was the best vacation we have ever had. We've also done 10 and 14 nights. This summer will only be 7 so we will have to plan our time better :evillaugh

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can do weeks in some locations, but 3-4 nights about does me in Vegas. But it's all relative. We don't have to fly in from the East Coast, dealing with time gained and lost. (Though our drive is now very time consuming.) Our equivalent would be Hawaii, or close enough time-wise. It's a trip we have done for three nights but only because in that instance it was three or none, and none doesn't cut it. But a trip of that length, given the destination, otherwise is 7-10 nights minimum. We look to at least four nights if flying to that other coast and only doing one destination. Not sure any of that helps since we all have our specific travel needs and tolerances.

20. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have a 4 hr flight.
    Last trip I did 15 nights.
    There is no such thing as too long!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.