1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Earlybird question.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by number5sports, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. number5sports

number5sports Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought the Earlybird pass. Does it matter when I check in? Was my boarding group and number assigned when I purchased it? Does it matter when I print off my boarding pass?

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are already assigned a number based on your purchase date. It may vary a bit depending on some other factors but will not be changed based on the factors you mention. You are good!

3. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying out of BWI, I checked in (Already had Early boarding) at the 24 hr mark and had a B3, B4 boarding number....I accidently discarded the flight info when I went to print the boarding passes at the Four Queens 8 hrs past the 24 hr mark. When I got the info and printed the passes I was in the A group at #22,23. Early boarding at SWA is the way to go if you want assured seats together.

4. number5sports

number5sports Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

That is completely confusing to me.

5. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was explained to me that they reserved a certain number of seats for A-listers or business members or whatever they call them. If those seats do not sell they some folks may move up a bit towards the front. At least that is what a ticket agent told me when we were waiting on standby and she was trying to gauge how many seats were actually sold.

6. hawki39

hawki39 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if I confused you. I couldn't figure it out either...I Printed my flight to Vegas as soon as I was able to and got in the B group. I was delayed a few hours printing the return flight passes and ended up in the A group.??? I also was under the impression that when you purchase the Early boarding pass...they are assigned boarding numbers before the regular tickets are able to vie for boarding groups.

7. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Early Boarding is not the same as Pre-Boarding. The Early Bird just saves you from having to check-in exactly 24 hrs before your flight, to get a decent boarding position.

8. number5sports

number5sports Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So this is as clear as mud...

9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. You don't have to check in. The Early Bird checks you in at the 24 hour mark so you don't have to do anything.
    2. Pretty much.
    3. Nope.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why folks go to effort to print boarding passes at hotels is beyond me.

It is fairly easy to print one at most airports, and Vegas is VERY EASY. They have generic kiosks all over the place that allow you print a boarding pass and I have never seen a line for those. The line to check your luggage and get a boarding pass is usually not very long, so that is what we do.

11. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. The point of Early Bird is they check you in. In fact, they check you in 36 hours before the flight and that's when they assign position as they take into account both when you bought your flight, which e n you bought early bird and to some extent how much you paid for the ticket. Printing the boarding pass is a formality. Since I usually check bags, I usually wait.

12. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Earlybird, you get the first boarding number available when you purchase Earlybird.

A1-A15 are always gone because they are reserved for Business Select and A List customers. The first Earlybird boarding number available is A16. Therefore, if you were the 12th person to buy a ticket and pay for Earlybird on a given flight, you would get A28.

Theoretically, if you bought a ticket at the last minute and everyone else on the plane bought Earlybird, you could end up in the final C group.

It doesn't matter when you check in before your flight as long as you do it about 2 hours before the flight. (Check with Southwest on the actual time, I would never check in less than 2 hours before flying.)

13. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if you buy the extra seat you don't have to worry about any of it because you get to pre-board!

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup you are checked in automatically 36 hours before the flight. You can print your boarding pass 24 hour before the flight if you wish (you don't have to, as stated above you can print it at the airport, or you can just use your phone). And the 24 hour mark is when the non EB can start checking in.

15. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. My mind was blown recently when I realized a lot of those hotel boarding pass printers cost money... why would anyone ever pay to print their boarding pass at a hotel?!

I always use my iPhone these days for my boarding pass. Southwest and Delta (the two airlines I fly) both have quick lines for people who already have their pass on their phones.

16. abescan

abescan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I were in line at PHX in March talking to a lady in front of us who bought her ticket a day or two before. We had purchased our EB tickets months before. She said she had never flown on SWA and did not pay at the gate for the upgrade.....how does that happen?

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes they take into account how much the ticket cost. The positions aren't assigned as you buy early bird.

18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely found out that they hold back a few of the A passes! A while ago my first flight leg was delayed and I missed the connection. When I got to the desk they handed me a C pass for the new connecting flight. I semi-jokingly b*tched about it (my original was in the A group) and she didn't even blink and eye and re-printed me an A pass.

20. airblaster503

airblaster503 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought about early boarding for my flight tomorrow, decided not too and to take my chances, scored A40-42 boarding positions. Not too bad at all :licklips:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.