1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The "Dead" Car Battery Proceedure

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My '98 Chevy truck battery is not starting.
    I believe, I replaced it four years ago.
    Unfortunately, the truck has been sitting ALOT this past
    year --- I've started it up several times - until last week.
    I hear "clicking" and it doesn't start.
    From what I've read the clicking is a good thing.
    My plan :
    Remove the battery + have it tested.
    ( This would be save me TIME + Money = I have no jumper cables )
    If I was to purchase cables -- I could still have a dead battery issue --
    or other electrical issues - so I'll check battery FIRST --- correct ?
    So, if the battery is dead........we buy another.
    However, ( Walmart ) has a fine print that the cost of a new battery -
    includes the old dead battery being "turned in" at purchase.
    So ?.........I should hold onto the battery if it tests "dead" -- don't leave it behind ?
    Sears was where i bought the last battery -- I believe they installed it as I bought it.
    Might do that again...........but then I'd have to buy jumper cables to get the truck
    in for the service ( nobody around me has cables, to borrow ).
    Just wondering ?...........I'm going about this correctly....right ?
    What brand battery has treated you well ?

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These days battery manufacturers are getting so cheap
    that anything over 3 years is DOA, and testing is hit and miss
    Just save yourself some time and replace it

at this point the lead acid not AGM ones are all pretty much alike

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,
    You don't have a friend or neighbor who come over with cables and try and jump it?

4. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take it back to Sears. They'll check it and charge it for free if it just needs a charge. Some of their Die-Hards have 100 Month limited warranties, so you might get a good discount on a replacement if it's bad.

5. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those portable jumpers are gold when no one is around to help.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you buy a new battery, you will pay a "core charge" of about $12 to $20. This is on top of the cost of the battery. You'll get this refunded when you bring in your old battery and give it to them. If you bring in your old battery when you buy the new one or bring in the old one at a later date.

It might just need a charge. Charges take some time. I have little cheap Sears charger at home for when I accidentally leave the lights on or the battery is dead and I need to get to the local AutoZone for a new battery. Beware, if you charge up your battery and have it tested at AutoZone, it will check out fine and then leave you stranded hours later at work in the dark and the cold and you'll need to call AAA because all your coworkers have gone home for the day.

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My neighbor just asked me about two weekends ago "Do you have jumper cables ?"
    I said, "No....but it's something I really should have."
    The guy was astounded I didn't own any -- since I have nearly every
    home repair tool.....and do alot of my own work.
    He asked around - nobody had any.
    I guess, I should take it to Sears for an inspection/charge ?
    I was somewhat surprise about the lack of lifetime of new battteries ---
    like EVERYTHING else these days.....they're made to be replaced.......soon.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would first jump your battery, it's possible that since you don't use your car much the just battery needed charging (running the motor to do it). Yes you should have an emergency kit in your car which also has jumper cables, that way you can jump your car if the battery dies.

I stopped going to Sears automotive many years ago. The Die Hard batteries are such a rip off. They have a warranty of so many years (5 I think) but their batteries never last that long, more like 3 years. Unfortunately they then have you hooked, you only get a prorated amount and it is only good for purchasing another die hard battery. One time I had a Die Hard battery that only lasted 6 months. At that time they also rotated my tires and did some other service. Unfortunately I only requested a replacement battery but they still tried to charge me extra for services I didn't request. I had my original service order but they said that I came back later and requested more services (which I did not) and they changed the service order. They finally relented when I said I would call the BBB and other organizations that protect against scams and file a complaint.

The last straw was when I purchased a booklet for oil changes. The second time I used it they tried to charge me for the book again. I told them that I already purchased the book the last time but they wouldn't let me have my car unless I paid for the oil change booklet again. I paid for the booklet and I went home and luckily still had the charge receipt so I could go back and get my money back. I usually keep my charge receipts with my charge card statement and keep that for a couple of years just in cases like this one. If I didn't I would have had to pay twice for the booklet.

I heard that others had similar problems and I was lucky to sell my car so I never used Sears automotive ever again.

My advice, go elsewhere, like Sam's club for your battery. IMHO, their batteries are better quality and cost much less. Consumer reports graded auto batteries and Sears was graded low. BTW, Sam's club also checks your battery and system to make sure that you don't have a short or a problem with something else that causes the battery to run down.

Sorry but after getting ripped off at Sears one time too many I try to steer people away from them if they want good service.

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't add much to the good advice already given except to suggest keeping a pair of cables in the trunk regardless the outcome. You never know when you or someone else could use a jump. And as with most precautionary things, need is inversely proportional to preparedness. :)

10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    have tried cleaning the terminals and cables....a better contact might be just enough....

now, here's an old timers supposed trick.... put a couple aspirin in the cells....they combine with the acid in the battery to boost the charge a bit....

11. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Royal Flusher's life rule #1 - never give up the chance to take a leak.

Royal Flusher's life rule #12 - buy the longest fucking set of jumper cables you can find. If you don't have cables, you'll need cables. If you have cables, you'll need longer cables. Your battery will be as far as physically possible from the battery in the jumping car. Once you have really long cables you may never need them again. Call it karmic insurance.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have jumper cables. It's a grown up thing. I seriously resent being a grown up and even I have 2 sets of jumper cables. One for each car...in each car.

I also have a trickle charger for the motorcycle. If you have a vehicle you're not running very often, whether you start it or not, you should have a trickle charger on it.

BTW I've worked in the roadside assistance business for over 6 years now.

13. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's a corollary to Murphy's Law: any wire cut to size will be too short! Ms. Gecko and I have a pair of jumper cables in both cars; and if verrrrry careful, they can be joined in series for extra length if required.

14. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,
    Fuck Sears...Take that battery out, go down to WalMart and get a new one, give them that DEAD one (to avoid a "core charge" fee).
    The last six batteries I've replaced have came from WalMart and none have let me down.
    On average, the "cheapy" (Not the MAXX ones) lasts me 4 years of daily use.
    There's only THREE companies that make the ACTUAL battery (Johnson Controls is the major one).

15. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe S,

I think you have the makings of a Country Song! Reads like Lyrics to me!
    Car troubles always suck! - That should be your Chorus! haha!

16. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

Don't you have a young child? Do it for your child if not yourself. You wouldn't want to end up stuck with a dead battery on a scorching day with a little one in the car.

Do the grown up thing - buy jumper cables - and replace your current battery.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Abandon the vehicle. Buy a new Bimmer or Porsche. That is the WAY adult thing to do.

18. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My battery is almost 8 years old, I'd like to change it but am wondering how long the thing will last.

Being "dead" has nothing to do with whether the battery is good or not, if you jump the car(and it starts)the alternator will charge the battery(it will take a fair amount of driving though), if the battery can not "hold" a charge, it's bad and needs replacement.

19. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mother****er! I just realized I left my jumper cables in one of the little compartments under the trunk in my last car (that got destroyed by some moron unfamiliar with the laws of physics).

Well, I doubt it's any consolation...but know that you're responsible for my not being stranded by a dead battery in the near future, Joe! :beer: I owe you one, buddy.

20. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To merlin: An 8 year old battery is living on borrowed time and should be replaced. These things have a definite lifespan, even if you're easy on them. Batteries dislike extremes of heat and cold, so if you get either, that may be when your battery dies on you.

Yes, carry cables. A new battery might be the solution or it might just mask a problem for a while. Try getting it charged. Then have a mechanic check to see if your truck is drawing current while it's just sitting there. Mine sits in the winter, so I pull a cable. This happens a lot on boats. Several guys I know have installed battery switches on their boats. I solved the drain on my boat (I hope it's solved) by unhooking the radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.