1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hotel for Christmas and New Years

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by cheron6196, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheron6196

cheron6196 Tourist

We are seriously considering going to Vegas to celebrate my 50th bday which is the day after Christmas. Looking for. A hotel on the strip where we can see the New Years fireworks from our room. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe a Paris Red room with Eiffel tower view? TIA

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas at New Years is special. Personally, I would consider being outside so you can see up and down the strip easier, and be part of the unique experience with the strip closed down to traffic.

Rooms will be hard to get and expensive, but give it a shot. The days leading up to NYE will be reasonable, but the day or two before are another story. If you want a specific room, book it in advance and do not count on any check in upgrades. I am guessing you are not a higher tier player at CET or anywhere else that would help.

3. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, rooms get very expensive for a couple days for NYE. We went last year for the 1st time.....usually comped at all CET hotels every trip but had to stay at Flamingo since couldn't get our "home", Paris or Bally's fully free. Your view is limited from the room (we had a strip view at Flamingo) so the best view is outside but it is CRAZY out there. Literally shoulder to shoulder for blocks. It is not something we want to repeat....lol. Good luck!!

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the most popular tourist destination on the most popular night of the year.

Thats what you are up against.

Its like asking to be in times square for the ball drop and you want a good view of the ball and anderson cooper and maybe a place to sit thats not too crowded.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 26th to 30th isn't going to be too busy... just a generally quieter time.

The 30th is when they start preparing for New Years Eve and putting up barricades along the sidewalk, setting up alternate routes for taxis and the buses and it'll get busier as the day goes on as people start arriving early for New Years Eve.

On the 31st it'll be pretty busy everywhere in the morning and just gets busier as the day goes on. Stores aren't allowed to sell alcohol on this day so if you want something for the room you'll have hopefully bought it already. You will hopefully have a room already because there is usually a pretty long lineup at the check in desk at most places from around 2-3pm on.

The big thing you might have an issue with is the really good rooms the hotels might require you to book them for multiple nights, so if you were thinking of just getting a Red Room /w Tower View for the one night you might have to book the 30th and 31st. Just taking a quick peek at the rates for those nights, if they do make you book the 30th and 31st for that room it could be setting you back $1100-1400 for the two nights, mostly depending on how long you wait until you book.

If you do get a room at Paris facing The Strip you should have a pretty good view of the fireworks and the chaos down below in the street - its just going to be one big mass of people all the way down to Ti from there.

Another thing to look out for is airfare: if you are going earlier, on the 25th or 26th, it probably won't be too bad, might even be cheaper than usual... but the closer you get to New Years Eve the higher the fares get - a December 30th arrival booked in late October could run you 3-4 times as much as you would normally pay for another time of the year, as an example.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My info is way, way old. But, we did Xmas Eve to New Year's day 10 years ago. Our wedding anniversary is the 28th. Anyhoooo...you have a few options to try to make this cheaper if you wish to do so. You can go off strip but somewhere you can see the strip easily like the Rio for example. A lot of people, locals included go to the top of parking garages to watch the fireworks.

There are a few blog style websites out there with info on how to best do New Year's in Vegas. I would seriously do some heavy duty googling.

My experience is, and you can take this with a grain of salt. We started getting freaked out at the crowds by 4pm on New Year's Eve. Our plan had been to be out on the strip for midnight. Then we started hearing how the hotels close their doors and you can't get back in unless you're staying there. I don't have the best bladder in the world and alcohol doesn't help matters. We started to reconsider. By 5pm we decided to get outta dodge before they shut down the strip and took the last shuttle back to our hotel (the Orleans). When we got back there, somebody told us to go up to the top of the parking garage before midnight. We had dinner and figured we would do that. But, somehow the contents of a bottle of rum ended up inside me and things kind of went sideways. My husband ended up putting me to bed at 1145pm and we watched the fireworks on tv. He won't let me live it down.

If I were going to do New Year's in Vegas again. I would either do downtown, which isn't as glam for a first time but it's a lot of fun on a regular night so I imagine NYE is good. Or I would do either north or south edge of strip or near strip and head for a parking garage.

Your room idea isn't a bad one. But, you're going to have to really get your elbows up for a good strip view room. Those rooms are premium and it's the biggest night of the year in Vegas. The bigger fish will get that bait before a smaller fish. If you get it, you'll be paying a premium. And you have to book it very early. Like, now essentially. And while your booking is good, the room they give you isn't guaranteed. So, you still don't know that you're getting your strip view until you check in.

I would say think it over, do some more research, decide what your Plan A and Plan B and Plan C might be. Like Plan A is a nice strip view room on the strip. Plan B is my suggestion of edge of strip, near strip and head for a parking garage. Plan C is downtown. Or whatever you decide based on your research.

It's totally do-able, just depends on how you want to do it and how much you're willing to spend and if you're willing to wear Depends for part of a night. I know some people are all...yawn....so boring. But, I think it's a bucket list item. I wish you luck with it.

7. cheron6196

cheron6196 Tourist

Thanks for the replies. We know it will be crazy New Year's Eve but it is a probably a once in a lifetime chance to do it. Ended up splurging on the Cosmopolitan king Terrace one bedroom with fountain view. This way we have the option of viewing the fireworks from our room and I get to see the Bellagio Fountains too!

8. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That analogy isn't remotely close. Getting a room with a view of the strip can be had, especially considering that the OP will be checking in prior to the peak NYE traffic.

Nick:beer:

9. cheron6196

cheron6196 Tourist

Thanks Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.