1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fixing virus problems

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought I'd give some free software advice if you ever encounter problems with your pc due to a virus or malware. If you can think of other "freebies" then post it here.

Some free software that I use when I have problems

malwarebytes anti malware
    Combofix (similar software to identify and clean your pc)

WinPatrol (you can use this to see what kinds of start up programs and what is active on your pc). For the older machines this will also stop many things (not everything though) from running without your consent. newer machines have things that do this. I usually determine what is active and then google it and find out how to remove the problem if possible. This product can also remove some tasks and can disable some other tasks running.

You can also search some websites for free downloads of AV programs like Kaspersky, AVG, etc. Just by googling "free ......software" will usually show you some sites where you can download the "free" stuff. (not sure if mentioning this is allowed though so keep it on the qt).

I also use Pop up Stopper (free version) to prevent things from popping up. It doesn't stop a lot of pop ups but if you are downloading stuff this is sometimes helpful stopping pop up malware.

hmmm, thought I had a few more so will post it here if I remember them.

Unfortunately this didn't help my current problem, my friend opened up an email and it infected my pc so now I probably have to do a refresh back to factory finish to get rid of the problem. (reminder to never let anyone use my pc). Idiot wanted to read his emails and though it came from a friend. :Þ

Anyway, what else to you use (free software) to fix your pc problems?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also use AVG & Malware Antibytes. Pisses me off that every time I do an upgrade on Flash Player it installs Mcafee and I then have to uninstall it each time. Useless memory gobbler.

I also highly recommend Ad Block Plus for both Firefox & Chrome. No ads appear at all. Running CCleaner every few weeks cleans up a lot of space on the HD.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgot to mention, when I get infected I usually turn off the computer and run it in safe mode, then run malwarebytes or combofix and then I reboot it and rerun the software again just in case something is left behind. Then I run an AV scan to remove anything else that may remain.

Sometimes Trojan programs can remain even if you clean your computer in safe mode so best to run the malwarebytes or combofix again in regular mode.

If forget, I remember using a registry cleaner but I forgot the name of the package.

4. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or just run OS X on a Mac with Gatekeeper and not have to worry about it. :beer:

5. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Malwarebytes and CCleaner

6. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *checks clock*, yep less than an hour before an Apple fanboi chimed in, right on schedule

7. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    uncheck the autochecked box each time you update
    it's a sleazy thing that Adobe and Mcafee have set to default be, yes please?

8. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :evillaugh:

It's rough being a fanboy of better quality products. :thumbsup:

9. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    remind me next time they release a new OS and you all cry and call it a step backwards, before falling in lub again

10. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always used Spyware S&D

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what pisses me off even more. There no longer is opt-out option for the Mcafee.

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That really annoys me! I finally got it so it asks and I decline each time!

13. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW, when you go to the web page to update flash, there is a check box which you can click to NOT install McAffee.

Edit: Sorry I just saw someone else posted the same thing. A lot of "Free" software you download and install has other stuff bundled with it. Especially if you go with the "Express" install. Try custom install to see if you can un-check any extras.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

yup, it just sucks that they try to install so much extra trash just to get their product. Even when you do some windows updates they try to install more of their trash.

I make it a habit to get into the My Programs and see what else got loaded. Since it is date stamped I can see what else they loaded and hopefully remove them immediately.

I also hate when they try to change your home page and other settings, such a pain in the butt because you don't realize they did some things until later.

15. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Classic!

Nick:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.