1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mad Made!, what a great Series Finale to a great show!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Hobofrank, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don Draper is Back!

and other stuff that I don't want to spoil but saw coming

2. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you add "Spoiler Alerts" to your title so we can discuss this?

Product placements fees must have been outrageous. And worth it.

I can honestly say I guessed much of it wrong.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, just figured anyone who cared watched it, some in suits for a viewing party

4. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One last great line from Roger..."all I got was suitcase, yell at me slower...or in English"

5. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sterling got all the best lines!

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't try to guess. Didn't want to. Just went with the flow. An episode for the ages.

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm just replying now because my husband has a job to be at on Monday mornings and we have to use the Tivo. :)

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such a great show and a wonderful ending. I got a bit of a spoiler from my news feed, but I didn't know how we'd get to the coke ad, so it wasn't terrible. I loved that Don's awakening came at Esalen. That's an inside joke for us and so satisfying.

What do you think about how Peggy's story wrapped up? I was disappointed. I wanted her and Joan to work together because I love the dynamic between those two women. Love? Really? What a cliche!

Sterling and Marie is ewww, and she will certainly be the death of him. But I kind of like it. I loved that suitcase line too.

Betty's story makes me sad, but it's pretty perfect for her character. I did love that phone conversation with Don and how they handled it all with just their facial expressions. The dialog between them was :cry: Don: Birdie.... Betty: I know.

My husband and I were sure at the end of last week's episode that Don Draper was done. We weren't sure he was going to be Dick Whitman again or something else, but were both super pleased with how it ended. Such a great show.

8. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SPOILERS.

Frank figures you won't read here if you haven't seen it. I wouldn't so ...

Hated Peggy's story. All of a sudden she realizes she's in love. Aw, how nauseating for someone who's been building her way to the top from the beginning.

Sterling got some great humorous lines in the end. If Marie is the death of him, at least he's leaving his money to the grandson and the "rich little bastard".

Cold-hearted as always, Betty wants her kids to live with her brother and his wife because they need a woman to keep their lives normal. She was more concerned about how she'll look in the coffin that Sally's feelings. Her ending was sad but appropriate. Someone had to die from cigarettes. They'll be glad to not have to inhale those artificial weeds that they substituted for tobacco.

Don was a great end. Once again he hits rock bottom and comes up better than ever.

From an interview I'd heard at least a year ago, I thought Weiner wanted to wrap it up so there was no demand for more shows. Because of this I expected a death ending for Don. I thought there would be a character summary, in 1984 so and so did, etc.

9. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peggy - I too was disappointed in her ending.
    Joan - I wish she & Capt. Pike could have stayed together, but cest la vie!
    Roger - perfect... and y'all are right - he always did get the best lines.
    Pete - Lucky bastard!
    Betty - kind of sad...but I knew something dramatic & bad would happen to her.
    Don - a bit too much communal stuff... I don't buy that he would ever had stayed there after the very first session.... but having the Coke ad result from it? Classic Mad Men.
    :beer:

10. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

I wish Peggy and Roger's stories ended at the end of the episode when they cleaned out the SC&P offices and she was roller skating while he played the organ. That would have been perfect.

As far as Don goes, I loved it. Coke was his white whale. That's what he wanted the entire series. And after he went away for awhile and found enlightenment, he got it. Not only did he get it, he created one of the most successful campaigns the history of advertising. At the end of the episode when Don has that little smile, he has found enlightenment. Because his back was to the Pacific, he was quite literally facing East like Siddhartha Gautama was when he achieved total enlightenment. I also really like how they had some of the characters resemble the actors in the Coke ad.

11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although the way it was played was a bit corny, Peggy's story ended perfectly for her. Her lover worships her and doesn't mind that she looks askance at his lack of ambition. She doesn't have to give up a thing careerwise. Joan is a bad fit for her because Peggy measures her success with the corporate yardstick. She is not a truly independent person like Joan, much as one might wish her to be.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just finished watching it (Tivo). At first I was kinda disappointed with the way the last show played out, while watching it I thought they were putting too much emphasis on the retreat thing, but seeing how the coke ad turned out it makes sense now.

13. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this I'm an entrepreneur and my wife is a Peggy, but a highly placed Peggy

plus Joan was always shitty to Peggy until she needed something

14. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It just doesn't get any better than this.....oh how I will miss them! So well written, it was off the charts. Only program that I was totally absorbed by ....well maybe Ally McBeal was along the same vein. I went back and watched all of the episodes again and KNOW I will do the same with MM....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.