1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Help me get my first hand pay at MGM Las Vegas!

Discussion in 'Slots' started by ERQTraveler, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ERQTraveler

ERQTraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been going to Vegas for almost 20 years now, about 2-3 trips per year. I'm a casual player, mainly slots. Goal has always been to have fun. Biggest single win has been $1016. But now I want my first hand pay!

I've set aside $2000 (this is in addition to my usual bank roll) for play in the high limit room at MGM. I was going to do this on my last trip but chickened out. This time I'm in it to win it! Goals are to get my first hand pay, play a fair number of spins (at least 60 spins or so), not lose in 10 minutes, and of course have fun. Which slot should I play? Here are my thoughts so far...

#1 cleopatra 2 or buffalo (or other multi line if you know a fun one!) - I think $20/spin is the minimum and so I'd get 100 spins; understand it can be volatile but seeing some of the jackpots here is inspiring!

#2 $10 or $25 top dollar - one of my favorites though usually play $1 or $5 denomination; $25 wouldn't get me that many spins but if I can get the bonus two or three times that'd be great

#3 $5 or $10 or $25 single line like double triple diamond - seems a bit boring but if I get a hand pay, I'm fine with that!

Help me choose! Other suggestions are welcome!

ERQ

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The lowest "odds" machine is $5 double diamond, but there are only about 2 or 3 hand pay combinations.

First of all, do you want a "hand pay" or a W-2G?

I have had hand pays of $1000 or more (Less than $1200) with no W-2G.

As a slots player myself, (and there is no reason that you should take my opinion, just consider it) I don't think you should "play" for a hand pay. I would rather hit (5) $1100 jackpots than one $5500 jackpot.

This year I have had 9 W2-G hand pays.

(5) were on .01 machines with $2.50 to $4.00 bet
    (1) was on a quarter machine with a $25 bet
    (1) was on a dollar machine with a $5 bet
    (2) were on $5 with a $10 bet

What this points out is that it can happen any time, anywhere.

You could play a $100 or $500 machine and almost any pay would be a hand pay, but what would be the point?

I'm sure that Pleepleus, VegasChic, or any of the other slots players can share that with you.

P.S. BTW, I sunk about $800 into the Cleopatra 2 machine at Wynn last trip and got NOTHING!! I did however, hit a $1900 jackpot on a .01 Mi Guying machine shortly afterward

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have to agree with Dailun. If I can avoid a W2G, I'm happy with a $1,000 win. Yes, I can write off the losses on Fed, but not on state, so they take their 6+% share and it also changes my adjusted gross income.

4. kboltwkreations

kboltwkreations Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The lion machines sure pay good at MGM....
    IMG_2102.jpg IMG_2103.jpg IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2105.jpg IMG_2106.jpg IMG_2107.jpg

From March.

5. ERQTraveler

ERQTraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the sentiments that getting multiple large but not W2-G wins are the best. I guess I'm looking for a big single win on a high denomination machine. I think it would be awesome to try for it, kind of a bucket list thing. Usually I play penny, nickel, dollar, and occasionally $5. Overall I know it's a shot in the dark like all slot machines but I find the prospect of a huge win on a high denomination machine exciting.

- - - Updated - - -

You hit all of those?!?

6. kboltwkreations

kboltwkreations Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes same trip. They aren't as fun as the bonus game machines but a win is a win. My first HP was on a $5 lion machine at MGM.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No need to throw money away chasing a hand pay, play as you normally do and someday your ship will come in, if you are determined to try it I would play the lower denomination slots to get more tries, I dont think a 100 spins is enough.

8. Aaron5

Aaron5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

My biggest handpays occurred when I barely played slots...just taking a shot as I walk through HL on the way to the bathroom or to a specific table game. These included a few $10k, an $18k, a $40k, and a $100k hit. These were all single or second spin hits. Now that I am playing slots more, most all my handpays have been under $5k...majority being between $1200 - $2500. I would just play as you normally do and just take a few jabs at a higher denom slot...especially since there is some hesitation in playing the higher denom machines. Those multi-line videos, while fun, can suck up your money fast, if you don't hit a major combo or a bonus round.

10. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

11. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Cleo II is a highly volatile game, very high variance. I avoid them, even at pennies.

Personally I've done well with Quick Hits and Top Dollar at the $25 level. Last December, Luxor, Top Dollar, $25, first spin, hit the bonus, first offer was for 175 credits ($4375). I took it. Since the average offer is 30 to 35 credits it was a no brainer.

Quick hits at either denomination may not get you a W2-G but may get you a nice cash out. I look for 10X pay machines. NYNY has one I'm up probably $10K on over the past year. Right in front of the cage.

The MGM Lion machines do pay - for others. I have no luck on them. I've seen people hit the machine I just left five minutes ago for a hand pay... Grrrr... Definitely give them a shot.

Good luck!

12. scc31

scc31 Low-Roller

I'm going to bookmark this page incase I do something similiar.. Granted I won't bring 2k to splurge on a slot :p But I do want to chase a "handpay" next visit.

Edit: I'm a Slots noob, played only sparingly to waste time/free play/spins. What does playing something at a $25 level mea? Does that mean $25/spin? I'm also not too familiar with the logistics of a slot. How can you tell how much you're betting or how many lines there are? I'm only familiar with the Credit translation in that the in a .01 slot 100 credit will mean 1 buck...

Sorry for highjack. LOl :)

13. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the $25 level most of the slots can be played 1 credit per spin but to get the bonuses, max payouts it's usually 2 or 3 credits so $50 or $75 a spin. I prefer the 2 credit machines, start with $500 in which give me 10 spins.

Some times you win, often times not.

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A $25 single line Double or Triple Diamond machine is what I'd recommend. Low paytable (like 800/1600) and no (or very small) bonus for playing 2 coins. I think there was only one $25 machine at MGM Grand that fit that criteria, and I didn't have any luck on it, but I only allocated freeplay to it, so not many spins.

But I did at Aria - $12k on the 10th spin, also using freeplay.

15. AlexS

AlexS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw a guy put $3000 into a $100 wheel of fortune machine, did 30 spins and didn't hit one thing. Not even a cherry!

16. ERQTraveler

ERQTraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update:

While waiting for my brunch reservations at Bardot (had 30 minutes) at Aria, I sat at a $5 triple double diamond machine. It hit triple bar, triple bar, triple diamond on the first spin! It was actually my very first spin of the day too! $1350!!! It was so exciting because of the circumstance.

As for high limit room, I played at a $25 triple double diamond machine at MGM. Can't remember the pay table but there were a few machines in there. No jackpot, just three big hits which put me over the amount I started with. Cashed out having made $250.

ERQ

17. yankees4ever31

yankees4ever31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you considered high limit video poker?

18. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on your handpay! Hope you get some more before your trip is over.

19. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats!!!! Did you take a picture??

20. ERQTraveler

ERQTraveler Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.