1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airport wheelchair

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by FullBoat, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all. I was in a pretty bad wreck a while back, and if I walk/stand a whole lot, my ankle pretty much wants to kill me. So, after 3 nights of standing for hours at the craps table, I'm limping pretty good even with my cane.

My last trip, I actually did the early boarding "for people that need extra time". But, that long walk from the bus stop to the back of terminal 3 is LONG when in pain. So, I was wondering where you can request a wheelchair. Do you just ask 1 of the TSA people at security? Haven't been in a wheelchair since the wreck, but it's quicker than limping the whole way with luggage.

2. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can arrange an in-terminal wheelchair with the airline. When you check in in Las Vegas, the agent will call for a wheelchair. Make sure you give yourself additional time. I've had to wait up to 45 minutes to get a wheelchair (sometimes only a couple of minutes). Plus, you can cut the long security line with a wheelchair.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do not ask TSA for anything.

As said, see the airline at the checkin counter.

4. MiDenny

MiDenny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife needs the extra time to board and has trouble with the long walk as well. You can always ask at the airline counter, which is fine if you're already checking in there. It usually takes a while for a chair to get there though, maybe 15-20 minutes I would say is the average we have waited. Last trip, we weren't checking bags and didn't plan on standing in the line at the airport counter. I asked at the skycap stand outside and someone helped us immediately. Not sure if it will always be that quick but we will be trying it again in a couple weeks. Thought it was well worth a $5 tip to the skycap along with the $5 to the person pushing the chair. Saved us a ton of time.

5. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MiDenny thanks for the tip. I never check a bag when I go. I'll have to try asking the sky cap for 1 next time if I need it.

6. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you book your flight online? I use Expedia and there is always the question about needing assistance. If you do it then, you are in the system. When you depart ,the counter person will call for the chair and ( they are very fast in getting you through security) when you land, the chair is waiting for you right at the plane door and will take you to baggage or transportation.

May I make the gentle suggestion to tip the person? It amazes me when I see people getting all this help and when they get to their gate, they send the helper off with often not even a thank you.

7. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always pre-arrange the wheelchair with the airline. The "pusher" always has a list of people and asks to see a boarding pass. Pre-arranging should cut down on your wait time.

8. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I normally fly Allegiant, and I didn't see anywhere where I can request one. Guess I can email them, and see.

As for asking the SkyCap, 1 of my group is checking a bag, so I guess I can ask them then. I'll just probably need it for the trip back. Winning all that money at the craps table hurts. ;)

9. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been lucky sometimes and a employee/pusher has been out by the curb when the limo has dropped us off. He will immediately bring a wheelchair out or radio for one. If not, there is disabled seating (clearly marked) just inside the doors. I seat my father down there and then go to the airline check in with our bags. I tell them he is sitting (they already have his name since I have pre arranged for a wheelchair in terminal). The airline will call for the wheelchair to meet us at the disabled seating.

I find the McCarran wheelchair pushers to be excellent. The are very helpful. The always inquire if we want to make a duty free or restroom stop on the way to the gate. The security process is much easier and quicker.

I generally tip them $5 coming and $10 going. Outgoing is more work with security etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.