1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hotreds, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK- looks like they have good prices. Never flown them, have heard their boarding is crazy. But wonder what your real life experience has been. I notice they have no "big seats." I kinda like these, being a "big" person!

2. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not exactly a small outfit. They flew 136 million passengers last year. They fly 3800 flights a day, totally on Boeing 737's and the seat width is the same as other airlines. (other than first class, which they do not have). There boarding process is different, but it works just fine, otherwise they would not be such a big airline.

So, the rumors you have heard are a bit off.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Southwest many many many times. As of now they are the only one flying direct from my market (OMA-LNK) to LAS.

They are probably my favorite airline to fly, actually ever since Midwest Express was absorbed by Frontier.

Yeah, the boarding and seating can be a mess, but it's gotten better with pre-selected boarding passes. Before you had to line up at the desk to get your boarding sequence assignment.

They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but they are often cheaper than Untied or US Air when you do an apples-to-apples comparison with fees and such.

They are usually easy to deal with when you have a cancel/delay/lost bag/whatever.

As I think of it, very few Southwest flights are delayed or cancelled.

Overall I have to say I'm happy with them.

5. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EBCI or GTFO

6. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ever since Southwest began flying to/from SW Fl,I've been using them for LV trips.Must be 5 years or so now and no problems..Used to use AA thru DFW or United thru Charlotte but nowadays those prices are approaching $500 or more with the baggage and seat selection.
    Though I never see any great fares I consider the Earling Boarding like a baggage fee for one segment and it's nice to to be in the A group and just sit in my usual aisle seat..
    Another nice thing is the fact if the airfare drops you can rebook w/no charge and use the credit on a future trip..I have done that for $60 once.
    Just booked a couple days ago for my September flight and it turned out to be $5 or so more than the same days last year...$390 or so,but the days of under $300 seem to be looong gone..
    Side note about corporate response to issues,One trip on a layover in STL,a torrential thunderstorm hit the airport and my luggage got pretty soaked and I didn't realize till in the room in LV..Handle broken also so it only pulled up a few inches. (I must have looked pretty funny rolling the thing past baggage claim to the cab line all bent over..Once I unbent the frame it was good to go rest of trip) .I got home and sent them an email just informing them,not bitching and they sent me a $100 or $75 voucher..
    Also chatted with an employee outside STL and she seemed quite happy to be working for them when talking about benefits etc..That's good to hear imo.

7. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Southwest. Love, love, love. It's my favorite airline to fly by far. I actually like their boarding process, aside from the need to obsessively check in exactly 24 hours ahead, which can be mitigated by buying Early Bird.

Best things about them are the ability to change flights, including to a less expensive one, with no fee and credit issued, and their free bag policy which I constantly worry they are going to change. I hope not.

8. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Emirates Baptist Church International?

9. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great! I'll give them a try!

10. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My DW and I flew SW last Sept from PDX to LAS and we loved it! We are both "persons of size" as they put it, so I purchased a third seat for the two of us. The flight attendants were great, seat belt extenders with no rolling of the eyes, plus the best parts of all, you go to the gate, show them the extra seat and you get to pre-board, even before the A-listers! Then when we got home, I called them, and they refunded the price of the third seat! Combine all that with no baggage fees and we are sold on them. Actually pricing and booking my next trip on them to LV in August.

11. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't purchased the EB. Usually check in exactly 24 hours ahead of time. I always get late A to mid B seating.

My favorite thing about them is being able to cancel/change flights without charge. The 2 free bag policy is no big deal to me since I usually travel with just a carry on, but I know it is to a lot of people.

I'd say my flights are delayed about half the time. Delays have ranged from 45 minutes to over an hour.

The seats are fine to me. I'm pretty narrow though.

12. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early Bird Check In, best $25 you'll ever spend

13. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When do they refund the extra seat, dreric? If the flight wasn't sold out?

14. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I avoid them at much as possible. In fact, I drive 30 minutes out of my way, just to not fly on them.

15. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what is your preferred airline then? and maybe why?

16. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol had Lougle EBCI and was ROFL when I seen early bird check in!

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any particular reason. And, why do you like other airlines more. Which are the two different airports you use?

18. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wink2:

19. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called customer service after I got home and they had the money back in my account within 30 days. Actually our flight down was sold out. I was told by a gate attendant that I should have just bought the two seats and then called the customer service number with my confirmation and then they would add the seat at no additional charge. I will see how that works when I book here in the next week or so.

20. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take JetBlue direct from Boston. Nonstop, assigned seat, free checked bag, free snacks and TV. Never more than a hundy more than the other airlines. If I use their American Express card.... Onboard purchases are half price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.