1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Luxury Hoover Dam Tour?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by jdvegas, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am considering a visit to Hoover Dam on my next Vegas trip... but have limited time.

I searched the boards and found captainron62's recommendation for Pink Jeep as a nice service. I looked at the website, and saw we would have to leave at 8:00 and get back by noon. A bit early, and 4 hours is max I am willing to spend on it. Reality is that this is probably the best I can do from a time perspective: 4 hour commitment and still plenty of time for cabana from noon to late afternoon.

And other comments or suggestions on a high end/luxury service/solution for a short, morning, Hoover Dam tour?

2. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what a "luxury" tour of a power plant would mean. The tours are administered by either the BLM or national park service, or maybe another alphabet agency. It's absolutely worth doing if you enjoy seeing large engineering projects or appreciate architecture, and it is truly a wonder of the world. Going to Hoover and back within 4 hours is really pushing it. It's about an hour from Vegas each way, plus parking, waiting in lines, and other hiccups.

If you need an activity that can be completed in 4 hours including transportation, you might try something that is in Las Vegas. Maybe the neon museum, etc.

3. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I realize the tour is the tour. I am focusing on the organizing and transportation aspects when referencing luxury. For example, not interested in a large bus that stops at 10 other hotels to pick up people on the way there.

4. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many tour operators will consider private tours. Just contact them.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have this concern with almost any bus tour.

Decades ago we (my ex and I) did a bus tour of Hoover Dam. That part went fine. There was a side-trip to the Ethel M Chocolate Factory to supposedly see chocolates being made. We were there for what seemed hours! The Cactus Garden is worth wandering through, but it was hot and you can easily do that in 15 minutes or so. The only other options were to look at idle candy making machinery, shop in their candy store, or sit in the hot bus. We were getting bored and on each others case and even considered taking a city bus or taxi back, but finally they started loading.

I would check to see what other tour stops are planned, particularly those which were strictly promotional.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you can go to the dam and get the luxury tour there. If you want to save time it may be best for you to rent a car and drive to the dam early. That way you can be one of the first in line and take the tour and be out of there before the big crowds arrive.

More info here. Some of the tours are first come, first served:

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/service/index.html

I took the powerplant and dam passageway tour many years ago, before 9/11. It was great because you get to see upclose the huge generators and get to walk to the passageways to see the "guts" of the dam. I remember taking the old elevator that was on the roadway of the dam many years ago. I think you can still see the generators and some of the "guts" of the dam but because of security issues there may be more security there.

I would highly recommend you just drive to the dam yourself. That way you don't have to worry about buses stopping off at hotels or arriving at the time all the big crowds arrive and then you would be back in time for lunch and time to hit the cabanas.

7. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't want to rent a car. Anyone ever to a private limo tour?

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ethyl M probably would be out of business without the dam tours! They still go there! That was mostly a waste of an hour. I bought no candy. Walked thru the cacti for about 15 min.

And jd, pink jeep sounds like they are cutting out most of the middleman. Four hours total is seriously the minimum amount of time one can do hoover dam in, imo. It takes almost an hour each way to get there and back.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm very surprised that Ethel M doesn't piggyback more marketing and distribution on the main Mars brands. I know there's some connection in there, but Ethel M seems to be unknown outside of the LV area.

10. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI - decided on a helicopter trip instead. Maverick Helicopters.

Experience an exhilarating helicopter tour as you fly over Lake Las Vegas, Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and Fortification Hill, an extinct volcano, along with many other breathtaking views. Also, keep an eye open for wildlife along the way. Maverick's Grand Canyon helicopter tour will descend and land 3,500 feet into the Grand Canyon in Hualapai Indian Territory. Champagne, beverages and a light snack will be served some 300 feet above the mighty Colorado River in one of the greatest natural wonders of the world. Fly back through the Grand Canyon, view the Red Rock formations of the Bowl of Fire and conclude your adventure with an exciting flight over Downtown Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Strip.​

Door to door in 4 hours max.

11. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds perfect!

12. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My nephew works for Maverick it seems like a first class organization. I think you will enjoy the tour.

TomTWI

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So how much will it cost? just wondering.

14. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $500 per person

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.