1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA Rapid Rewards question.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Frankr163, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone else noticed these changes?

I have been monitoring the price for my September trip, in hopes of a deal.
    So far there has been no significant movement from SWA since they opened up the dates, about $250 each way.
    Yesterday, there was a drop to $211. However when I switched to point redemption, there was no corresponding reduction.
    Furthermore, there was an increase in the pts. needed to take advantage of a non-stop, even though the $ cost was less.

Is this an anomaly or just a way to force us to use more points to take advantage of the more desirable non-stops?

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they have made their program much worse than it was a couple years ago, used to be the point disparity between prime and non-prime flights was not so great, they used to vary their prices greatly from day to day(not so much anymore). It's still the best program among the majors but not near what it used to be. I have a flight coming up later this month and checked and checked, but the points never got better. I'll be cancelling my sw credit card when the fee comes due.

3. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you are correct - they want you to use more points. I usually fly out of Austin or San Antonio which ever is cheaper. I have been waiting to see if the cost will do down. Looking at the first flights of the day San Antonio is $207 and 13279 points, Austin first flight has a plane change cost is $221 and points 12919. I am becoming more frustrated with Southwest if I have to change planes I may start looking at another airline.

4. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the middle of april they changed rapid rewards so if a route or particular flight was popular you would need to spend even more points than you did before. I booked my flight in March and it worked out to be about 70 points per dollar on the base fare. Now when I look at it it would cost me 78 points per dollar. They definitely devalued it even on top of the fact the initial fares aren't going down like they used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.