1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any IT people out there?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Packer, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wondering if you can help as I'm sure this one is easy for you. This picture below that I took shows what keeps happening to my computer. Probably drivers but can you talk me through a fix?
    Appreciate it!
    [​IMG]

2. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

That's what's known as a blue screen of death (BSOD). That typically appears when you have some sort of hardware error. Do you know how to open device manager? Also, what kind of system are you running? Looks like Windows 7. Is it a laptop? desktop? If desktop, does it have a gpu or are you using integrated graphics?

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife had that at work. It really traumatized her.

First thing I'd do is open the case and see if it's dirty and blow it out with a can of compressed air. Maybe your CPU fan is not spinning and you have an overheat problem.

4. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, Windows 7, laptop dell studio xps and thank you.... Could very well be a overheating problem. Seems only to happen as I go from site to site or page to page.

5. TheCooler

The first thing you want to do is make sure Windows is up to date. Open your start menu and type Windows Update. Click on that see if there are any updates available. If there are, download and install them. It could be an overheating problem, make sure the vents on the computer aren't plugged up just to be sure.

6. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Packer come on man..... I expect more than that from you boss

- - - Updated - - -

ati is a video card issue, if you updated drivers, etc... see if you can go back to a previous restore version...

Did you do any software updates recently ?

7. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like it may be a Video Card issue, so perhaps if you have an aftermarket (not on-board) VGA card, remove it and USE the on-board one.
    If you have just the on-board one, perhaps boot into safe mode and roll-back the driver (or update it, one of the two)

8. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh, I had the same issue with a Dell laptop, when I put Win7 on it..the drivers for the video card were not working with Win7...another thing you might try is compressed air in the little heat-sync area, make sure the fan on the bottom of the laptop is spinning freely and not blocked.

9. TheCooler

He said he's using a laptop.

10. Chilly

Chilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, definitely a video card issue. Could either be software or hardware. You can try installing drivers direct from ATI (if you know the model of the card, should be able to get it from device manager). But, it could very well be a hardware issue that something like compressed air could take care of.

11. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No updates so looks like they all have been done. Im sure it is the video card or the fan or both. Last time drivers were updated were prob 2 years ago maybe more. Going to take it in to my IT guy tomorrow. He will open and clean the fan and update everything. Thanks guys.

12. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My IT Dept, we are a Fortune 500, NASDAQ listed company, couldn't kill a virus called dllhost.exe on my PC which is known to eat up system resources and is a major league PITA. It too caused the BSOD occasionally but I never got the ati driver error. All my windows drivers are up to date and that is an HP.

When your PC is up and running hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE, get the system resources up and look for what processes are running and eating up system resources and memory. If nothing is you most likely do have a video card hardware, software issue and since this is a laptop overheating is common. If something funny is running you don't recognize go to malwarebytes.org and download that. Norton, McAfee etc miss so much that malwarebytes catches.

I solved my problem, they didn't. The virus attached itself to Microsoft Lync. I uninstalled Lync. I bet the virus is still hanging around, just inactive. Nothing to run with. Microsoft told me the only way to get rid of it was to wipe the drive clean and reinstall windows! I like my solution better.

Our IT Dept wasn't very helpful. At least I have admin rights!

13. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shoulda hired me ;) LOL!

14. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes system resources is a great idea and I have done that. Malwarebytes is next.
    Thank you.

15. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alot of good advice so far. It can be many problems.

During the summer months my PC gets too hot and will randomly crash(blue screen), so I need to leave the case cover off. Crashes go alway and I can get weeks without needing a reboot.

Have you installed anything recently? software or drivers?

16. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No haven't installed anything. Thanks

17. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

Have you been able to see any of the times when you get the BSOD if a .dmp file was created. The dump file will give more details on what is causing your error.

If you haven't installed any Windows updates, or new software or drivers, I would agree that it is most likely either overheating or you may have a virus.

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you recently clicked on a message that asks if your drivers are up to date. It will appear right on your start up screen. If so, I did the same thing and got the blue screen of death.

Try somehow to do a system restore.

windows 7 has a troubleshoot program that worked for me.

19. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. going now to have it opened, malware and update drivers..

20. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, never saw that message.. Really leaning toward overheating. We shall see very soon. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.