1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$CAN means a Canadian golf getaway

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I'm talking with the guys about moving the summer golf gig up to Canada, given the exchange rate. They balk, but the missus says, "Let's go!" Access makes Whistler convenient and we love that Four Seasons there, but Terri's never been to Kelowna, so ...

We love you, Canada!!!!

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always a good time for a trip to the suburb to the north.

3. moefoe81

moefoe81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Vancouver, Whistler and Kelowna is really nice in the summer. I don't golf but I hear Furry Creek is nice, about half hour outside of Whistler.

Ernie

4. parti_73

parti_73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know its a bit further but there are some really nice course here in Toronto!

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a good year for that in 2014, doing Jasper and Banff in summer, then Whistler and Vancouver (hello, food!) in the fall. I really wasn't thinking about the exchange rate being so favorable until last week when a client erroneously paid me in $CAN.

Yep, always a good time to head north o' the 49th, whatever the exchange rate.

Furry is an, umm, interesting course. You need the climbing ability of a bighorn sheep and the needle-threading skills of Besty Ross. Damn scenic. Gotta be nearly 10 years since I was in Kelowna. Weather, golf, wine ... just a bit more convoluted travel for what will be a pretty quick trip.

I have friends in the business there. I was thinking if making this a long haul we'd continue to the Maritimes. That's the hotbed now for you guys.

6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sounds like fun.

7. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As you probably already know some of the best courses in Canada are actually on the East Coast. We currently have 2 of the top 7 in Canada here in Nova Scotia (http://scoregolf.com/the100/2014-top-100-ranking/)

Highland links in Cape Breton was the number one public course in Canada for a long time until recently....well worth the drive!

Just to give you a heads up though, the conditions on the east coast will be a LOT more challenging than what you are used to in California, so bring your A game!

Cheers

8. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I just realized that 3 of the top 7 are private courses, so NS once again in back on top with the number 1 public course in Canada (Cabot Links), and Highland Links coming in ranked as the 4th best public course in Canada!

I wonder how these stack up against a course like Shadow?

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A four-night quickie from CA. The Maritimes aren't in the equation this time.

10. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like quickies!

11. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great $. Great wine. Great accommodations. Great scenery. And all of this is littered with great golf courses. A Tony the Tiger trip.

12. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, Kelowna! I was lucky to golf there when the 'boom' of courses just started --> sub $50 rounds of golf with barely a golfer to be found. Amazingly, have only been back once in the past 15 years (I decided to hit up Montana (Faldo's new Wilderness Club) and Cranbrook area last year). With that said, I always love to golf at Gallagher's Canyon and the Okanagan Golf Club. Predator Ridge is loved by many, but not my favorite (a few issues with service, combined with a bad game and some silly design features hurt my reviews - quite subjective actually).

I am sure your favorite will involve the wineries - now that is a good course for sure!

Enjoy our dollar - and our cheap golf!!

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Predator has some of the most bizarre greens I've ever encountered.

14. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup - I was going to mention that, however, the few times I've played it was so horrible (missing every green it seemed), that greens can not be that bizarro if you are putting from 3 - 8 feet (chipping ALL the time!!!).

15. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading out to Cape Breton in September. Already played Cabot Links in 2012 and now we have Cliffs and Links on the agenda. Giving Highlands a pass this time out. Fabulous routing but, conditioning lacking - quite a shame

16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy Ken! Beautiful part of the country.

17. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ken, if Terri's never been to Kelowna, you owe her a visit. I'm all for you spending your vacation dollars here!

Kelowna is only a 2 hour flight from Seattle with Horizon Air which is probably a shorter time period than renting a car in Vancouver and driving to Whistler.

I can't help but think that this is the perfect vacation destination for you guys. Golf in the morning at a variety of courses before the heat, a choice of many winery tours and/or tastings in the afternoon and dinner in one of our many restaurants serving local cuisine. A four day trip would be perfect!

If you like the Four Seasons Whistler, the Delta Grand is perfect for you and it's within walking distance to the Wine Museum which I'm sure you would enjoy. I'm neither a golfer nor a wine drinker but love living here for the land of beaches and peaches (and cherries, plums, grapes, apricots, strawberries and apples). You just can't go wrong visiting in the summer and enjoying what our local chefs do with our abundance of local food and fruits.

Kelowna.jpg

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that flight! And we can get to SEA direct from SBA. I've been looking at VRBO.com. But I'm holding back on this decision. Really, honestly, I'm keeping my mouth shut. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.