1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hotreds, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody flown this and what's your comments?

2. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wouldn't do it if the flight were over a few hours. Otherwise, educate yourself about the weird fee policies and it's fine.

3. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind flying them especially for the price. I can get R/T flights to Vegas for less than $80 sometimes. You definitely need to be aware of their fees. They charge for carry ons, drinks, seat assignments etc. The flight I take is only a little over an hour so it's not bad.

4. karens625

karens625 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown spirit a few times. Rd trip to Chicago in a big seat. I had no problems. Cheaper than any other airline at the time with the added big seats and the check baggage. Also flown them to Vegas a few times as well. Can't beat less than $100 airfare rd trip. But I have had some problems too. Flight cancelled on my returned trip from Vegas. Pretty much was in the airport 10 hours. Took 6 hours to get a new flight. There just happened to be 2 cancelled flights that night. It was a nightmare. And now I try to fly Southwest. It's worth a little bit extra.

5. DoctorPong

DoctorPong Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get what you pay for... Then you get to pay some more. Pay a little extra and fly a not so scum bag airline. They have some of the worst service.

Vacations are for going big.

6. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew from Portland to LV for $78 a couple years ago. Didn't have any luggage, just a backpack for my carry on. It was fine for the price. You have to take your own peanuts.

I normally fly Southwest too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  7. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the reasons I like flying them is because they fly out of a small airport. Slightly longer drive for me though. They're the only airline that flies there. I get to park right outside the terminal and walk right in. Never have to worry about a long line at security or check in.

8. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what's the policy when a flight is canceled, aro you just SOL and have to a room until hey find another flight for you or do they put you up in a dive motel until next flight?

9. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They certainly don't sound very good. OTOH, flying United from Cinci via Chicago to Vegas, they cancelled the 1st leg of the trip and I was sent via Newark instead! THAT plane was one of the smallest commercial I've ever flown on! And, the Frontier direct flight from DC had two of the three restrooms broken. Sitting in an aisle seat I was constantly buffeted by folks going to the only working toilet in front of me! So, I guess everything is relative- BUT I'll try to avoid Spirit!

10. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the days of the airlines putting you up are long gone!

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're flying to AC and aren't on a junket, the next closest option is Philly, Trenton, or Newark. I've flown Spirit three times, all uneventful, but the "walk out the door" price compared to US Airways or Southwest was much less. Their seats are thin and don't recline, the pitch is among the tightest in the industry, they charge for checked and carry on luggage, you are permitted one small bag that is about 14x12x7, you don't get 28 grams of peanuts for a snack, and you have to pay for your drinks.

Spirit is not my first choice, but if I can save 30% and the itinerary is convenient, game on. I flew RT from Philly to Vegas in an exit row with luggage for around $215 about two years ago, probably saved $100. But 5 hours was the limit for those seats and the return was my first red eye, and I couldn't sleep.

My biggest concern is the effect on other carriers as it could become a race to the bottom. Frontier has adopted Spirit's no frills "ultra low cost carrier" strategy and it looks like both airlines are very profitable as a result.

12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown them to Vegas from Detroit when the price was too good to pass up. I'm 5'5" and it is cramped for me. Be careful of the extra charges as they can add up to the point it is worth flying another airline. Truly you get what you pay for, terrible service, you even pay for water. I've had flight times change but never cancelled and have been pretty lucky with flights leaving close to on time. Typically if I make the drive to DTW to fly to Vegas, I go Delta for a few $'s more.

13. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not liking what I hear about Spirit! They are the only ones that have a schedule for November at this time, but apparently that is subject to change! I'll just hafta hold my horses for a few months until more schedules are up! I'm 6'2" 275 so I guess I would barely fit- if at all!

14. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can pay extra for the Big Seat, around $50 each way, or sometimes $20 for an exit row. A friend of mine is close to your size and has flown in a standard seat for a 2.5 hour flight and he said he would do it again.

I like to put all-in fares on paper along with flight times and departure airport as I can fly from 5 airports within 1:45 hours of home. I'm flying Southwest out of BWI airport to attend a wedding in Memphis, the fare was half compared to Philly, the itinerary was perfect. I will have to drive another hour to get there, but the trade off is worth it. The same goes for Spirit, it has to be a significant savings and a good itinerary for me to consider flying them.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  15. karens625

karens625 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they put us up for the night. Flew out the next day on jetblue. Gave us vouchers for taxis to and from airport. Gave us food vouchers as well. Of course it was midnight by the time we got through the line. The vouchers were for the airport and all after security. So no use for the night and our original flight was for 4 pm. So yes we were starved. Can't remember the name of the motel. But it was behind mgm. Not quite a dive, but like an howard johnson. Most people would be happy to be in Vegas for and extra night, but after the long day at the airport, it was just get the the hotel, eat and sleep.

16. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! I didn't think that airlines did that anymore! You see all those stranded passengers sleeping at airports in the winter when flights are cancelled! Maybe "weather" isn't included in the paid for stay?

17. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Spirit for the first time last summer from Mpls. to Houston. Obviously, we read all the horror stories regarding the ratings of being one of the airlines with the highest number of customer complaints, but the price was too good to pass up. Personally, I didn't have an issue with all the extra charges as I was used to flying Allegiant that also charged for seat assignments, water, huge luggage fees, etc. Both legs of our flight were timely, pleasant crew; however, the seats were even more cramped than Allegiant.

18. Sethto80

Sethto80 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown back to MN with them multiple times, never had any problems, besides an hour delay once, the jet ran into bad weather. It's nice to fly round trip for under 100 bucks. I always use a backpack for luggage, if it fits under the seat it's free. Once at MSP they had overbooked the plane by 2 or 3 people. They offered a new flight the next day, a cab ride to a hotel, and the hotel room for the nite plus a round trip ticket to use to go anywhere within a year. Didn't take long for the volunteers to come forward.

19. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will definitely need to pay extra for the Big Seat or be beyond uncomfortable.

20. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely, I am 6' even 175 and I can barely fit into one of their regular seats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.