1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tacos El Gordo

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by tweis, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweis

tweis Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We missed the chance to visit while in Vegas last year and now we are heading back in a month and it looks like they have closed their strip location. :thumbsdown: We will have a car for a couple of days of the trip so we are thinking of going to their other location. The reviews on TA have this place as being the best tacos ever. Are they really that good? Has anyone been? Have pictures to share? Thanks in advance.

2. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, they're really awesome. I've never been to Tijuana so I can't compare, but I really miss the strip location.

3. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best ever.....no.... But worth trying once, if you have a car. Royal Flusher has a review with pics on his web site. That's why we tried it....my wife thought it sucked, and that he was nuts. lol

4. sevenyo11

sevenyo11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have tried the one's in Tijuana and San Diego. They have a different taste that what tacos taste like in the "States". That being said, as a Mexican, they taste like tacos in Mexico. I personally make it a point when in the San Diego area to go have some. Adobada with the pineapple slice is my favorite. Let us know what you think when you try them.

5. tweis

tweis Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. It is definitely on my "to do" list while we are there. Gonna head over and read that review right now. Thanks!

6. Wynncore88

Wynncore88 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Tacos el Gordo is no longer in business. I'm referring to the location that was one block north of Encore. I was staying at the Wynn last week and while driving up to the Walgreens (also North of Encore) I noticed that the Tacos el Gordo location was gutted and closed. According to the Walgreens employees the landlord and tenant could not reach an agreement on a new rent structure.

7. tweis

tweis Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, that's why I mentioned in my OP that I would have a rental car for a couple of days and would be going to one of their other location since the strip location was closed. Thanks though.

8. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would recommend Taco y Taco as an alternative to Tacos El Gordo.

9. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like both Tacos el Gordo (Charleston Blvd) and Taco Y Taco with a nod to el Gordo for authenticity. Lately I have bee favoring Taco Y Taco due to the nicer decor, condiment bar and twin locations. In either case, I would suggest ordering the al Pastor/adobada tacos.

Tacos el Gordo

adobada being slice
    [​IMG]

10. Wynncore88

Wynncore88 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoops! I completely missed that you mentioned you knew it was closed. My apologies. Enjoy the other location!

11. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    second the al pastor/adobada recommendation. While the asada ones were good, the pastor ones were amazing.

12. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd recommend the cabeza... mmm beef head!

13. tweis

tweis Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone! I will be sure do try to pastor/adobada tacos.........definitely skipping the cabeza. From what I've read, the line up is rather confusing. I get that you are supposed to line up in front of the meat that you want but what if you want to try more than one kind of taco? Do you get that taco from that line and then go to the back of the line for the next line? I'm confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.