1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

rebooking sw flight

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by karens625, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karens625

karens625 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has probably been answered before, but my search was taking to long and I kept getting sidetracked.
    Anyway, if I booked a round trip flight to Vegas, can I cancel part of the trip, and rebook? My return portion has gone down, but the getting there has gone up. Or do I just toss it up to lesson learn and next time book one ways? Thanks for any help
    Karen

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure others can give more details, I believe you can change the return leg and get a credit for the price difference.
    Did you purchase early boarding?

3. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I book my flights separate for that reason. If it was me, I would try calling the 800# and asking them to adjust the one flight for you.

4. anilox

anilox Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, Southwest considers each leg of the flight independent of one another. My flights to Vegas dropped three times, and I rebooked the fare each time, leaving the return trip alone. Then just yesterday, I noticed the return fare had dropped (finally!) and the fare to Vegas had risen ~$100, so I rebooked just the return fare. Overall, I've had 4 rebooking now total for this trip, and it's saved me about 12,000 SW RR points.

5. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh...good information anilox. Did you call to make that change or how did you do it? Guess I better check my June flights. That's a lot of RR points!

6. karens625

karens625 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not purchase early boarding. I watch airfare for 2 months now. It never changed. Not even slightly. I finally purchased 3 days ago. And now it changes. I knew I would get a credit if I could change. Have just started flying southwest, so I have never changed before. I will give it a try.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You do not need to split up your itinerary in order to take advantage of rebooking. Just follow the links on their website to rebook a flight and choose your same flights again. If there is a price difference you will be charged/credited the appropriate amount.

8. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, but if one part of your flight has actually gone up instead of down, don't you end up paying the higher price for it that way? Or, can you just rebook the leg that is lower without affecting the other. Sorry, I know...dense. :eek:

9. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You choose which leg you want to rebook. After you enter your conf#, first and last name to retreive the reservation it will list the itinerary. There is a checkbox next to your departing and a checkbox next to you return. Check only the leg you wish to rebook. And they will ask you for confirmation before you confirm so you'll know how much you get back/owe before it's final.

10. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for that great explanation, Bayou Bengal. I've been making things way more difficult than they needed to be. I've got a couple of friends that will appreciate knowing this too. :)

11. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just make sure you pick the right day and flight! Almost messed up one time

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't need to book separate. As said earlier SW treats each leg separately. If one goes down in price just rebook and you get the price difference as a credit. Simple, easy and quick to do online.

13. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, vegasvic! BayouBengal got me pointed in the right direction.

And yes, I did mess up once when I cancelled/changed a flight. A couple days before I was leaving for Vegas I printed out my flight schedule and was quite surprised to learn I was actually going to OAKLAND instead. :eek: LOL...senior moment.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've almost had that happen too. I was so giddy about a price reduction that I almost changed my flight from Vegas to Dallas.

15. Kdiamond

Kdiamond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also done it, and you can do it right online, no need to call in. It is very easy.

16. karens625

karens625 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the information. I did it. It was very easy. But I was nervous about making a mistake. LOL Saved $32. And just maybe it will go down again.

17. karens625

karens625 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was quick. Airfare went up. That fast? Wow! Glad I changed when I did.

18. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You really do have to check often and act quick if you see a reduction. Tuesdays are typically the days rates change but they can change a lot more often. I usually book about 4 months in advance and I'd say I've had a rare reduction about half the time. On a couple of occasions there have been 2 reductions. I always have to remember though that you have to use the credits 12 months from when you booked your flight, not 12 months from the flight itself :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.