1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Luxor - refrigerator for medicine

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Jane42, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am staying at the Luxor and when I asked to reserve a refrigerator for my medicine, they stated I would have to pay $25 a day.

I posted on another forum and people have stated other Strip hotels did not charge, but nobody had stayed at the Luxor.

Of course, I will pay if I have to, but $25 a day seems a bit extreme. Has anyone had any luck at the Luxor getting a discount on a refrigerator being used for medical purposes?

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should still ask for the free refrigerator at check in and show them your medication - Luxor tends to attract a much younger crowd the last few years and the whole "want to get a free fridge for your room? Just say you need it for medication..." thing has been around for years so that maybe the reservation agent just thinks you are looking for a freebie and if you show you actually need one then they should provide it for free.

If it is a concern for you then instead of renting a fridge from the hotel what you might do is look at buying a micro fridge. The small electric ones that can only hold a six pack are around $40 and you can even buy smaller ones that plug in to a computer USB port and only hold one can of soda and those are under $20.

3. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never tried, BUT could you just make an ice bucket work? not sure of your circumstances but I would think cold water and ice in an ice bucket would be cold enough and only need to be "re iced" maybe twice a day.
    for 25 a day could you book a nicer room with an included fridge?

just thinking outside the box here!

4. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They should 100% give you one for your medicine. 6-7 trips ago, I called the Mirage asking how much a fridge was, simply because I wanted somewhere for my beer. They told me $25, unless I had a medical reason to have one, then I laughed and said "I guess my diabetes doesn't qualify me for one." and the lady said "actually, it does, you need to keep your insulin refrigerated." Now, being a long-time diabetic, I've never worried about a fridge for it on vacation because I know insulin lasts 30 days unrefrigerated, but ever since then, I've used my diabetes to get a fridge (and I've kept my insulin in the fridge, alongside my beer.")

So yeah, if your medicine needs a fridge, you should get a fridge. Ask on checkout and I'm sure they'll give you one free of charge. Especially if you have the medicine with you and show it to them. I've gotten fridges for my diabetes at Treasure Island, Mirage and Flamingo. The only other places I've stayed since, Aria and The Linq, both came with fridges.

5. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

not to hijack this thing, but injecting cold insulin is the most painful damn experience I've ever had.
    (maybe not the most painful per se, but its absolutely terrible)

6. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (double post, sorry)

7. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought about the ice bucket - but they told me it was important that this medicine be at a stable temp and be stored in a refrigerator. I will ask about a room that already has a fridge - good idea!

I will ask at check in and let you all know!

Thanks everyone!

8. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is diabetic so we have to store her insulin every trip and have never had to pay but the only time at Luxor we were in a Tower Luxury suite which had a fridge, best I recall the Player Deluxe is the lowest level there with a fridge.

9. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The pyramid suites also have a fridge, they are kind of hidden under the TV in the sitting room.

10. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as I know all MGM resorts charge this fee if your designated room doesn't already have one. An outside agency supplies the fridges to them, and there is no way you can get it taken off unless you use your points.

This was the case for me in 2011 and I haven't stayed in one of their hotels since. I did show them my medication with the "keep refrigerated" labels on, but I was denied.

11. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, we have had a fridge delivered to any room we stay in that did not have one, even Delano/THEHotel where there is a mini bar in every room, and we have never been charged for one. Just last week at Mandalay Bay we had one delivered to the room and there was no charge at all.

12. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got one 4 times now at Mirage (2013 and 2014) and never once have as I seen a charge. As I stated earlier in the thread, I got the fridge for medical reasons. But yeah, never once have I even seen a charge for it. I simply explain why I need it and they send it up. I've even forgotten to mention it at check-in and called down after and it's never been a problem. OP, I'm sure you'll be just fine

13. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm happy for you both. Sadly that wasn't the case for me, and if it had been $25 for the stay I would have been happy with it, but it was per day.

Of course, they may have changed their policy, I hope they have.

14. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luxor said it would be $25 PER DAY, not per stay.I hope I have the same luck as some of these posters!

Five more "sleeps" and I am there!!!!

15. PerryP

PerryP Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you get there see if you can do the $20 trick to upgrade to a Tower Luxury one bedroom suite. It has a wet bar with a fridge. If they do upgrade you it's $20 well spend.

16. natalyn

natalyn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at the Luxor in September 2014. I called and reserved a refrigerator before we arrived and was told it was going to be $25.00/day, but when we got there it was free.

17. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know, natalyn! Thanks!

18. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last time I just asked for a fridge at MGM they told me it would be $75. A night.
    I pulled the $20 trick at MB and when I was walking away, the clerk asked me, "Hey, do you need a fridge for your medicine"? Of course I did. :)
    I think it depends on the property and the clerk.

19. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so sorry to hear of this, as fridge rentals are free of charge for all medical purposes. I have made sure to notate this in your reservation, so that when you arrive a fridge will be sent to your room at no additional cost to you.

Again, I am so sorry for this miscommunication error and should you have any questions at all, please let me know.

All my best!

That was the response I received yesterday from guest relations at the Luxor when I told them the lady on the reservations line while very nice said even though the fridge was for Insulin it would still cost $25 per day. For 5 days that would be $125.00

20. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back from Vegas and this is what happened.

When I checked in to the Luxor I reminded them that I had requested a refrigerator for medicine. I asked if I would be charged and the answer was yes.

When I checked out, I asked again if I would be charged for the refrigerator and the answer was yes. I asked if my "play" would warrant having the expense removed. I then explained that I had been prescribed this medicine the week before my vacation and how disappointed I was that I had to pay for a fridge - that it was an unexpected expense. She asked me to wait a moment while she checked with her manager, then came back and said she would take care of it. When I received the bill, the refrigerator charge was not on it and a couple dollars had been taken off of the resort fee. (Actually, the receipt was very confusing...I am not sure if they took off the resort fees or the fridge fees - either way, the resort fees are $28 a night, the fridge fees are $25 a night and I ended up paying $49.50)

I am very confused by all of the different experiences that people have had - especially those that are staying at the Luxor. You would think that if their policy was not to charge for fridges that are needed for medical purposes, I would not have had to beg for it.

Oh, well...it turned out ok and I had a great time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.