1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tip for Work Pool

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by johnvic, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we had the Super Bowl pool at work the guy who ran it indicated that the winner should tip the guy running it. I forget the amount he suggested. They also run a weekly pool where you put $5 in and they pick the name from the hat. I asked the guy who runs it if he expects a tip. He was much more lenient about it. He said that not everyone tips and he refused to say the percentage.

What is the standard tip amount if you win?

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. This is the first I've heard of tipping the person running the pool. It's not done in the Western states I've worked in.

Heck, if we're supposed to tip them, then why not tip the person pulling together a staff birthday party, retirement or baby shower?

Bill

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In a lot of pools the guy running it gets a free entry, I dont think a tip is warranted unless you're extremely generous, is he the only guy who offered to run it, did people beg him to run it?

4. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard 3%. The convener is upfront about the 3%. BUT these are very large pools, with several thousand people. I wouldn't have an issue for the amount of work done.

Having said that.....a small office pool is another matter. I've run pools in the office. The amount of money isn't much....more for fun. I NEVER take a cut or accept a tip.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a pool @ $2/square... I won the halftime score for $50 (I won a quarter score too) and gave the intern who put the thing together for us $5... I'm told the person who won the $100 final stiffed him.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played and also ran work pools for 35 years, mostly NFL. I never tipped the person running it and nobody ever tipped me when I did them. I ran them because I liked gambling and back then there was no online gambling. Tipping the pool person is a very foreign concept to me.

7. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same. I run pools, FFL, FFL playoffs, etc etc. Never been tipped and don't expect one.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Stiffed him"? Please.

I ran a weekly football contest for several years, a Fantasy baseball league pre-computers, and it never crossed my mind to expect that someone should tip me. As noted above, what about the party organizer?

Gratitude is awesome, but let's just not institutionalize it in every instance as some type of birthright or requirement of citizenship.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my case, the "kid" is a recent college grad working as an intern in an operation FULL of people making 6 figures+. We occupy a 3-story building and the kid went up and down catching people to sell the squares, then made copies for everyone and highlighted their numbers and returned each a copy. He basically works for us for free... I thought a small gratuity was appropriate. I doubt I would've done the same thing if Bob (the drunk a few doors down) was pulling things together. The fella who stiffed him (not Bob) is the same guy who seems to enjoy sendin' this kid all over hell and back for stuff, cause he's the "intern"! This guy earns a half-million a year and won a $100... he couldda broke some off for the kid IMHO.

P.S. the kid paid for his own couple squares...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

In the little pools we have like that its always the most junior guy who has to run it as well. No one tips them, in fact its more fun to berate them especially if there is no good reason to berate them. Sometimes we all throw a $100 or something into a pot to let the intern/junior guy win by doing some challenge like drinking a large glass full of oil and vinegar or eating a couple dozen donuts. Something that won't kill them but should make them feel miserable. We all went through it so its sort of a rite of passage.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amended as proposed: The abused intern gets a toke.

The problem isn't the fella for stiffing him, the problem is the guy sounds like a prick in general.

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! He's not quite that bad, maybe just prick-"ish" (from an old episode of Everybody Loves Raymond)

13. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in few pools like this. The season long pools that require extensive work over the course of a few months are worthy of a tip IMO. I don't think it's necessarily frowned upon if you don't tip, but I look at it like this: I really enjoy participating in the pools, and there is no way in hell that I would want to expend the time and effort it takes to run them properly. If diverting a small portion of my winnings to the administrator keeps the pool running, then I am all for it.

14. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In NJ we tip 10% or so. Even the weekly bowling pots.

15. bta15

bta15 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I run fantasy leagues, March madness pools, Super Bowl squares, survival pools, unraked poker games, etc. It costs me a lot of time and occasionally money. I do it for the comradery and equity sweat, and I've never expected or even wanted a tip from anyone.

That being said, when I've won money in other peoples pools I have bought them lunch or beers or something small like that.

16. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm usually commissioner or Co commissioner for these types of things at work (though so many managers have left the office we once all worked at, it's no longer truly a "work" pool )...I've never gotten anything more than a beer or something at our draft day, nor do i expect anything.

17. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never heard of tipping for this stuff.

18. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's about right...

Judge Smails "You'll get nothing! And like it!"

19. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've organized and run many pools and been in many others. Never heard of anyone giving or receiving a tip.

20. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the route that I would go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.