1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Three indie films I'm waiting to see, but they're in very limited release

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Salvation
    Mads Mikklesen, Eva Green, Jeffrey Dean Morgan
    The mighty Mads Mikkelsen unleashes a maelstrom of bloodshed in the Wild West in this white-knuckle tale of revenge. When he lays waste to the scoundrels who killed his wife and son, a Danish ex-soldier (Mikkelsen) incurs the wrath of a sadistic gang leader hell-bent on hunting him down. Exploding with eye-popping action, dazzlingly dramatic frontier landscapes, and a smoldering performance by Eva Green, The Salvation is a rip-roaring, blood-spattered saga of sin and redemption.

DL - I just wanna see Eva Green's breasts!

The Wrecking Crew
    What the Funk Brothers did for Motown...The Wrecking Crew did, only bigger, for the West Coast Sound. Six years in a row in the 1960's and early 1970's, the Grammy for "Record of the Year" went to Wrecking Crew recordings. And now, THE WRECKING CREW tells the story in pictures and that oh, so glorious sound. The favorite songs of a generation are all here, presented by the people who made them for you. THE WRECKING CREW is a documentary film produced and directed by Denny Tedesco, son of legendary late Wrecking Crew guitarist Tommy Tedesco. The film tells the story of the unsung musicians that provided the backbeat, the bottom and the swinging melody that drove many of the number one hits of the 1960's. It didn't matter if it was Nat "King" Cole, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, The Monkees, The Byrds or The Beach Boys, these dedicated musicians brought the flair and musicianship that made the American "west coast sound" a dominant cultural force around the world. The film is a fun and moving tribute from Denny to his father and to the music, the times and to the secret star-making machine known only as "The Wrecking Crew".

DL-My highlight in the previews was the female bass player who exclaimed that she made more in one year than the President of the United States.

Kumiko, the Trasure Hunter
    In this darkly comedic odyssey, Academy Award nominee Rinko Kikuchi (Babel, Pacific Rim) stars as Kumiko, a frustrated Office Lady whose imagination transcends the confines of her mundane life. Kumiko becomes obsessed with a mysterious, battered VHS tape of a popular film she's mistaken for a documentary, fixating on a scene where a suitcase of stolen cash is buried in the desolate, frozen landscape of North Dakota. Believing this treasure to be real, she leaves behind Tokyo and her beloved rabbit Bunzo to recover it - and finds herself on a dangerous adventure unlike anything she's seen in the movies. With Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter, indie mavericks the Zellner Bros. spin a strangely touching underdog fable, populated by eccentrics and elevated to sonic heights by a Sundance award-winning score from electro-indie outfit The Octopus Project, that will leave audiences rooting for the impossible.

DL-Rinko Kikuchi is the best reason for seeing this movie

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the post.

later, GVJ

3. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter is playing April 3rd at an indie theater in San Jose.

4. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I've now seen 2 of these movies. I will post reviews of them later

5. Kari

Kari Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds interesting , except the first one to me!
    I'm a lady that doesn't like bloody movies! Those other 2
    Sound intriguing: will look forward to your review!

6. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Wrecking Crew

Directed by Danny Tedesco as a tribute to his father, who was one of "the guitar players" who was featured in the studio sessions of 60's and 70's pop and rock 'n roll music.

Glen Campbell was another of those guitar players. (before his singing career)

This is a wonderful story about the "crew behind the music" of the 60's and 70's hit groups.

Many, many songs are showcased. Tommy Tedesco, Carol Kaye (bass player), and Hal Blaine (drummer) are prominently featured.

Worth watching if you are a 60's and 70's music fan or want to learn more about the pop music and rock 'n roll music of the period.

Lots of old footage which (if you're my age) you might remember seeing on TV. Nancy Sinatra singing "These Boots are Made for Walking" was one of my favorites.

Remember "Hi, I'm Glen Campbell", as he stood up in the crowd with his guitar?

Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter

IMHO, this movie would appeal to a specific type to person:

1)A Rinko Kikuchi fan
    2)An indie film fan
    3)Someone who appreciates the use of colors and camera angles

So I went into this movie as #1. I have seen Rinko Kikuchi in Babel (where she was nominated for an Oscar), Norweigan Wood, and Pacific Rim.

I kinda "forgot" that the character was supposed to be mentally "imbalanced". I thought that she was just a Japanese woman with "pecularities", and didn't take that into account as I watched the movie.

It's an indie movie but worth watching if you can rent the DVD because unless you have a theater that plays indie movies, it may miss your town.

The movie shows her obsession with the movie "Fargo", as she's watching a damaged video tape that she had discovered in a cave. She saw "This is a true story" footage at the beginning of the tape and believes that is was a "documentary".

Anyway, you can get that much from the posted summary.

If you like "dark comedy", I think that you'd like it.

7. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't wait to see the Wrecking Crew.

Loved watching Tommy Tedesco flying all over the fretboard in the background in Fernwood 2 Nite.

8. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I "got" "The Salvation" watching it today. Review forthcoming.

9. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Closing this thread with a review of "The Salvation".

Viewed "The Salvation" on Sunday. Apparently there was a war between Germany and Denmark in 1864. The Danes lost the war to Germany (Prussia) and many Danes emigrated to the United States. This story takes place 7 years after two brothers (Mads Mikklesen and Mikael Persbrandt) had emigrated to America and were making a new life in the "wild west".

It's an interesting take on a typical Western. I was interested in the Danish director's view of the West. There are certain phrases that are a giveaway that this was not an American production. Eva Greene's breasts were not shown at all in this movie, and in fact she doesn't speak at all since her character had her tounge cut out by Indians. ( I had to mention that since Eva Greene was one of the reasons that I wanted to see the film)

Lots of the typical characters seen in a Western. Jonathan Pryce as the mayor/undertaker, Douglas Henshall as the Sherrif, who's torn between the betrayal of a single man to the misery of all of the citizens of the town. Jeffery Dean Morgan was the typical "bad guy".

Would I see it again? Probably not. Do I regret seeing it? I wasn't the worst Western I've ever seen.

10. TyrC

TyrC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not a plug but I subscribed to fandor. This is an indie films paradise! The closest you'll to a mainstream film are some Godzilla films! Lately it's been the only movie site I go to!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.