1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Downtown Buffet

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Username, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going DT next week to visit the mobsters and need a good buffet for din din after......who's the best, who's got the best value........never ate DT so all da help you give me is much appreciated

Other recommendations beside a buffet is also good if not too pricey.....no $150 steak joints for this part of the trip.

2. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only tried Main Street Station, Fremont and Golden Nugget. Main Street Station was easily the best. Fremont and Nugget are ok but Fremont is really cheap, especially if you've got that 2-1 buffet coupon.

3. reverted

reverted Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Garden Court at Main Street Station. Granted it is the only downtown buffet I have tried, but have never needed to try another one downtown. Great price for what you get. I really enjoy their Sat and Sun champagne brunch.

4. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the above calls. MSS the best followed by the GN.

5. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for MSS. Weekend champange brunch buffet is your best bet

6. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't go wrong at the Golden Nugget for their breakfast buffet, but apparently their dinner buffet is lacking. Coffee is great, big glasses of OJ, omelets to order, cakes and waffles, lots of fruit and pastries, piles of breakfast meats. Fremont breakfast buffet just O.K. Haven't been able to get to MSS for breakfast buffet yet, GN keeps me coming back.

7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

We've had this discussion numerous times, with the MSS backers usually jumping on early and then the Fremont followers staking their claim.
    I've done both numerous times and remain loyal to the Fremont.
    When we talk of the downtown buffet scene, it ain't much of an argument because its limiting nature.

8. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ^^^^ agree with chef...Esp. with that last sentence.

9. playallday

playallday Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When visiting the downtown area I have enjoyed Main Street Station. I have also visited Fremont and found that buffet good as well. Looks like you can't go wrong with either of them.

10. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that the plaza doesn't have one anymore, the three mentioned here are the only three period. All 3 are acceptable, affordable, solid options. Personally I've only had GN for lunch and MSS brunch, but I've always heard good things about the Fremont as well.

11. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The OP specified the dinner buffet, so it really depends on what day of the week. For example, if you're going on Friday, you'll find a long line for a seafood buffet at MSS. I ate that once and was somewhat underwhelmed. I wouldn't wait in a long line for that. Have not had the dinner buffet at the other two places.

You mentioned non-buffet places that wouldn't be terribly expensive. I enjoy Cafe Cortez at the ElCo, Chicago Pizza at the 4Q, Pizza Rock, and the 777 pub at MSS.

12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for your help...........

We are leaving in the morning and now it looks like we will be DT probably Tuesday if we can get our Mob tickets changed from Wed....leaning towards MSS buffet or 777 Pub.

SIN CITY U.S.A. via SWA in less then 19 hours and counting. :)

13. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive tried all 3 ( Fremont, GN and MSS). For dinner on any night ( other than food night) MSS is the best. Coupled with the fact that MSS dinner is also $9.00 less the GN (10.99 vs 19.99) and a greater selection of foods too. MSS is also $4.00 cheaper than Fremont. Fremont has special names for each night but most nights other than Friday And Tuesday, the main feature is prime rib ( which MSS has every night).

14. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The GOLD Nugget breakfasts is higher in quality and price . I usually only go with a 2 for 1.

15. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Service at MSS is better than GN, GN wins with the coupon. Fremont barely qualifies; last time they had their egg station guy flipping pancakes which really slowed service.

Bros are back!
  16. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Plus1!!!!!

17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Here are the prices at the MSS and fremont buffets. Note that these are the prices if you show your b connected card. Also note that at MSS the seafood buffet costs more or less depending on your card level. Fremont the prices are the same for all card levels:

Main Street Station Garden Court Buffet
    Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm $11.99*
    Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm $11.99*
    Tuesday Barbeque: 4:00pm - 9:00pm $14.99*
    Wednesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm $11.99*
    Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm $11.99*
    Friday Seafood Buffet: 4:00pm -10:00pm Emerald: $22.99*,Sapphire: $23.99*,Ruby: $25.99*
    Saturday Prime Rib & Scampi Special: 4:00pm -10:00pm $14.99*

Fremont Paradise Buffet Dinner

Prime Rib Night, Sunday, Monday and Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm $15.49*
    Seafood Fantasy, Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm and Friday 4:00pm - 11:00pm $21.99*
    Steak Night, Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm and Saturday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm $15.49*

Hmmm, I always thought that the MSS buffet had "specialty" nights like fremont but the site does not specify it except for Tuesday bbq, Friday seafood and sat prime rib and scampi. IMHO, fremont is more expensive because they have more "specialty" nights.

Overall I think the MSS buffet has more variety (Chinese and Mexican on one side, pizza's for the kids on the other, etc.) over the other buffets. I heard that GN buffet doesn't have a big selection of food and while the food is good some times lately it has been inconsistent whether it is that great. Being a Ruby cardholder I like the Fremont seafood buffet because it is $4 cheaper than the MSS buffet for me.

Unfortunately now that I'm getting older I can't eat as much so I don't go to buffets very often. I will go do the Fremont Seafood buffet if I'm in the mood for crab legs and seafood.

18. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ever notice how places like Paris, Planet Hollywood. Mirage and the Cosmopolitan just have "dinner" listed for their dinner buffets? Just an observation!!

19. TriviaAndy

TriviaAndy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have now had MSS, Golden Nugget, and Fremont in the past two trips. MSS is the best and has the special Hawaiian section that east coast people rarely see. Golden Nugget was good for a Thursday dinner and the service was good.

20. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me MSS is the best all around, regardless of meal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.