1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jeff Dunham vs. Penn & Teller?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by KuyyaJef, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuyyaJef

KuyyaJef Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know I have a few months to figure it out, but like always; the input of others is greatly appreciated. I'm torn between choosing Jeff Dunham or Penn & Teller for a stay in July. The heart and funny bone are telling me to see both, but my wallet is saying that I need to choose one. Any feedback about either show is greatly encouraged. Help with getting to/from shows would be awesome as well. Open to other alternatives if you think another show is worthy.

Here are a few details to consider:
    - We're staying three nights: July 6--8(Mon-Wed), departing July 9th(Thurs).
    - We have a split stay with our first night being at Vdara, and our second and third nights being at Aria.
    - Travel buddy and I are both male, ages 25 and 26.
    - We know for one of the nights we're planning to see Ka at MGM for sure. Most likely on the first or second night.
    - Jeff Dunham is dark Mon and Tues, so we'd have to see him on our last night if we do choose him.
    - We'll be driving in from LA and will have access to a car, so distance is no issue, but timing might.
    - We may be "ballin' on a budget", that doesn't mean we won't be willing to spend a bit more for a great value.

2. playallday

playallday Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am looking forward to seeing the answers as these are two I am debating as well. When we were there in November Penn and Teller where not in town and we were not able to make Jeff Dunham's day performance so we ended up seeing Million Dollar Quartet...which btw was awesome.

We are visiting again this August and would like to pick either JD or P&T. We are also going to do Jersey Boys...I promised my husband we would go. I have read good reviews.

3. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Penn and Teller are amazing. I love their mix of magic, humor, and libertarian opinions. They mix classic bits with new material, I've seen them twice and both times were great. I'd go see them again.

I'm not a Jeff Dunham fan and have never seen his show so that's all I have to contribute.

4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also am not a fan of Dunham.

But I loved P&T. I have seen them twice and would for sure see them again.

5. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    P&T are great. I've seen them twice and was impressed both times. Love Penn's opinions and Teller's sleight of hand. Sit up close if you can.

6. dfeltman

dfeltman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect topic, as I saw Dunham this past Saturday, and P&T Sunday, both with a friend.

I've seen Dunham's stuff before on TV and I do like it. His show had me laughing so hard my stomach hurt and I was crying at the same time. It was his typical show - it started with some monologue, then Walter, Bubba J, Peanut & Jose, and finally Achmed. He talked about how he changes the show up, and for our show he did a bunch of new Achmed stuff, plus the old stuff, so.. bonus. He also had a bit in the middle where he was selling his semi-professional dummy, but even that was funny.

P&T I had seen before but my friend really wanted to see them. I'm also a big fan of them and certainly more in line politically when them than Dunham. That said, just like the first time I saw them I found the show slow and flat. There are certainly high points, but it's just a lower energy show. Friend agreed.

Side note - on Friday we saw Zombie Burlesque which was also awesome.

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have seen them both and if I had to see one of them again I would take a pass. Liked Million Dollar Quartet much better. Go ahead and see them both. They both have strong followings and I hope you enjoy.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    P&T is a far more enjoyable time than Dunham,

9. KuyyaJef

KuyyaJef Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was one thing I was worried about going with Jeff Dunham right away... I'm pretty familiar with him having seen him on his many TV specials. I mean, what more could he do? But it is reassuring to know that there's probably new/fresh material in his live show.

I've never seen their show live, but have seen them randomly on TV in usually a one act/trick setting. Just like Dunham, they've always had my interest, and seeing more of them all at once could be something exciting.

Right now I'm at 60/40, in favor of Dunham, but keep those reviews coming.

10. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've seen both and both are good shows. Much of it depends on what YOU want to see....are you looking for a lot of laughs or to take in some magic?? At times we though P&T were a little boring with the dialogue and a little bit of that as well with JD. I typically do not like to do re-runs or see a show twice, but if I had to pick between these two to see one of them for the second time, JD wins big time. I've noticed there are a lot of 'dark days' besides just M-T in the next few months so you may want to check the calendar. https://www.caesars.com/planet-hollywood/shows/jeff-dunham#.VR9B7OFH4us

11. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saw Jeff this past Wednesday. I really enjoyed it. He had some trivia, and pics showing before he came out. Did some standup bits, and started with the dummys. He did some old, and some new stuff in there. I think there was more new than old. His Achmed bit was all new, even was using notes for it, then answered questions from the audience. I was laughing the entire time. Didn't even mind too much when the bozo behind me opened a beer, and it went all over my back. I think there's just something about seeing it live with other people around, even if some of it's old stuff.

I haven't seen P&T yet, but that's on my list for next time. I've wanted to see them for a while now as well.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.