1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Resorts $100 Gift Card for $79.99 at Costco

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by M_ILIS, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]IMG_20150325_125147 by itslikeimsayin, on Flickr

Just saw this at the Costco in Fountain Valley, CA. Basically saves you 20% on everything at any MGM Resorts property. I didn't read the fine print, but it says it's good on hotel, spa, dining and entertainment. Not available on retail. Here's the website with all the details:
    http://www.MGMResortsGiftCard.com

I'm definitely going to pick up a few for my next trip. It will save me $20 on three nights of Mirage resort fees alone.

2. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am glad I saw this. I usually cash my American Express points in for MGM gift card when I stay there. Last December I got a Bellagio card and used it towards my stay there- I did not realize you can use any of the cards at any of the Mlife resorts - AMEX does not carry all the resort cards. Now I know I can get the MGM card to use at Luxor.

3. Sdebruyne

Sdebruyne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So my room at Aria will come to just over $600 for 5 nights, including resort fee and taxes. I can buy $600 in cards for $480 before I go and use them to pay for my room? I'm reading the fine print looking for the catch, but don't see one. Am I missing something?

4. Mooda

Mooda Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh wow. Thanks for the info.

5. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used the MGM card 2x$100 applied at checkout when I stayed at MGM and the same thing at Bellagio at checkout towards my room with no problems.

6. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you're missing anything. I happened to go to a different Costco later this afternoon, but they didn't have them, so I'm not sure how readily available these will be.

7. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't seen these in our local Costco here in Michigan. Does anyone know if they are available on the Costco web site, or can be ordered in by the local store?

8. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. Porkchop

Porkchop Low-Roller

Nice find. Off to check local Costco :)

10. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't find it on the Costco website.

11. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    has any body seen these in Vegas Costcos?

12. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read on MGM website that there is a maximum of $500 that can be paid using a gift card

13. 2VegasNuts

2VegasNuts High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I read this right, I can go to mlife.com and book a room at 25% off with my platinum tier level discount and then use these gift cards to pay for the room and thereby get an even bigger discount.

14. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea if you can find a Costco that is selling them.

15. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've checked the local Costco here in Michigan and they don't have them there. I also checked the Costco web site and they are not listed.

16. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As the thread starter, I thought I'd chime back in to say I'm not sure I'd recommend buying these after all. Sure, they save money but they sure were a headache to use. For one thing, they seem to be the type of gift cards where every clerk asks "Do you know how much is remaining on this card?" and if not, they can't do anything with it. Also, it seemed at some venues you cannot use the remaining balance on the card if the total you owe exceeds the amount on the card. It seemed most places couldn't just apply the balance of the card and then tell me a new total after using the gift card. Finally, and most troubling, was when we used it toward our total at Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill at MGM. First, the waiter said he wasn't sure if they accepted those cards, but I told them it says they do on the GiftofVegas.com website. Then he somehow applied $40 and kept the card, telling me that's all that was available on the card. After doing some quick calculations in my head, I figured out there should have been approximately $65 on the card, so I asked for the used card back and when I checked the balance, sure enough there was still $25.10 left. And now looking at my bank account, it seems the restaurant may have ended up charging my credit card multiple times for more than they should have for the remaining balance.

I ended up coming home with a couple dollars on one card and about $15 on the other because they were such a pain to use. It would be nice if they allowed you to transfer the balance from one card to another so I'd have a better chance of using a small balance somewhere.

P.S. In addition to all this, the Mirage check-in clerk accidentally put the card number from one of these gift cards down as my credit card number, so on the second day of our stay we received a call saying our credit card was denied for the room hold. I spent a lot of time getting ahold of someone at my bank to make sure there were no problems with my account, and only then the Mirage clerk realized the mistake was on their end.

Long story short, don't feel too bad if your neighborhood Costco doesn't have these.

17. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in the Los Angeles area end of March. I stopped by a Costco and bought $500 worth for just under $400. Last weekend I was staying at Excalibur. I gave my Amex at check in (the best thing about Amex is they don't have a credit limit so the holds never affect me). When I went to check out after I gave the clerk my room number, I said I would like to not use the card on file. I then handed him a $100 card one at a time. My bill was for just over $500 so I just paid the small amount on the credit card. They worked just fine. I would not use them until the very end.

18. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone seen these lately? I've checked a couple Costcos near me with no luck. Even though above I said they were somewhat of a pain, I like Krh2o's idea of charging everything to the room and using these at check-out.

19. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look every time I'm at my local Costco in Washington and haven't found one yet.

20. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ironically was at the FV costco last week, and not there then. Not here in my local costco either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.