1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

24 hour bus pass

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by russell2, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russell2

russell2 Tourist

Dewey, does thee $5 for 24 hours pass include the Deuce and SDX?

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Deuce and SDX are $8.00 for 24 hours. $5.00 is for local buses and the WAX.

3. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The residential 24 hour is not good on strip buses if you play by the rules, unless you are a local.

On my last visit I met a woman who claimed inside information and said that the bus company could not legally enforce this once they have sold the ticket, but who is going to court over it? However, she argued that she knew the bus company had enough to do just to try to fine the folks who hop on the bus and then off the bus when the inspector hops on.
    I also ran it by a bus employee giving advice at the Binions stop and he said that SDX bus drivers will not ask for a local ID. The bus driver on the 202 told me "We are supposed to" but admitted drivers don't.

This has been debated over and over on this board and I've been on both sides.
    However, I have not yet found one person using a residential 24 hour pass on a strip bus who has been asked for a local ID. They ask for the senior card, but not the other. To be safe, some only use it on the Deuce because once by the driver, you are golden.
    Also, it is most likely that were you asked for local ID and you said you forgot it that you would simply be asked to leave the SDX bus at the next stop by an SDX inspector. Going downtown and getting stuck in a bad neighborhood might make this a bad bet, but would it be a bad bet were you going from Flamingo for one or two stops in any direction?

For seniors the difference in fare is substantial. They pay $2.50 for the 24 hour residential pass. There is no such senior reduction in fare on strip buses.

I don't encounter this personally because I get a 15 or more usually a 30 day pass and so I get the senior discount on those and both of them are officially all access and include strip buses. If staying at the Gold Coast and you want a 15 or 30 day pass, take the free shuttle to the Orleans and walk away from the strip on Tropicana for a block or so to the Walgreen's. They have them. You will need proof that you are a senior to use them. A Medicare card will work, or if you are above 60 and get an ID from the BTC, that will work for 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  4. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And, dewey will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but you can use the SDX on the WDX, but not the WDX on the SDX. And, they don't start the countdown until you use it the first time on the bus. So you can buy it a month ahead from their site, and not have to worry.

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are the sources of funding for the RTC. Motor vehicle fuel taxes, jet fuel taxes, and sales and excise taxes provide about 65% of the revenue. I don't know how the RTC gets away with charging visitors a higher fare than locals for these bus routes because fares only make up about 25% of its revenue. The RTC is the only public transit system I've encountered that has this type of fare structure that favors locals. About 3 years ago, I bought a $5 single day pass at the airport and later was able to use it on the Deuce with no problem.

RTC Transit Funding

1991 Question 10 funds – 1/4 of a percent Sales Tax
    2003 Question 10 funds – 1/8 of a percent Sales Tax
    Passenger fares
    Bus advertising
    Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Funding
    Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
    Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
    FTA 5307, 5309, 5316, 5317
    Congestion Mitigation Air Quality (CMAQ) Funding
    Surface Transportation Program (STP) Funding
    American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.