1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why do you live where you live?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Habs

Habs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Living on the northern tip of Canada's only desert, We have 50+wineries within, an hour, same amount of golf courses, Okanagan Champagne Powder skiing, 40 minutes, we can have our kayaks in a 75mile long lake in 5 Minutes. Population under 50,000.
    Oh Ya .... direct flight to Las Vegas, 20 minutes, 2-1/2 hour flight. Summer temperatures 30C-90F, winter -5 C 25 F.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE your part of the world, Habs!

3. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hey Habs, we're neighbors! I live on the other side of the bridge. Moved here when I was 18 to go to college, was lucky enough to find a good job when I graduated and never left. Can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

I just wish those direct flights were year round. I see you've got a flight booked too before the direct flights end for the season. We come home the day you leave. See ya at the airport!

4. Habs

Habs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken2v , We are lucky,:nworthy:Gambler, moved to Armstrong from the Wet coast 20 Years ago, we're Empty nesters now , so we moved to WestnBank 4 years ago.we live besideTwo Eagles golf course. Have a great trip, leave a little bit for us to win, not your own tho.:beer:

5. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am amazed at how many people live close to where they grew up.....I guess that is the norm. I can tell you that moving is expensive! I'm from Montana, DH from Chicago, went to college in Montana and then worked in Houston, Denver, back to Houston and now in northern Nevada as a retiree. It was always my goal to get out of my small town in Montana (less than 500 people)....and I succeeded although most of my family still lives in the area. I have no intention of ever moving back...brrrrrrrr.

Very interesting thread you started here, Ken! :wave:

6. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Classic frontier gibberish!!!

7. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another one-time Buckeye here. Originally born and raised all over New England, moved to OH in the 8th grade. Then mostly lived there the past 20 years or so (to and from Lexington KY 2 years). Left Ohio end of 2013 while finalizing a civil divorce, and took a work transfer to move blind to Tucson, AZ. I absolutely love it here! Sunshine everyday. Very transit town, as my job allows me to meet people everyday from all over the country. I became comfortable rather quickly, as so many other people have made the same move as I. I do also enjoy Phoenix and its surrounding areas but the cost of living and cooler temps make Tucson home for me right now. Everyday as I reflect back on my decisions, almost as I would after a night of poker, I know that making this move a little over a year ago was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

8. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born and raised in North Central Mass. Neither my husband nor I have ever lived outside of a 10 mile radius. Both of us have always been family oriented....all of which have always lived in the same 10 mile radius. I hate winter but other than that we had never considered moving anywhere else. Small town where we grew up without locking any doors. History of New England is special to me. Now there are grandchildren to watch grow up. Mike has been at the same company since he was part time in high school. I guess we are not change people. City living would be foreign to us. That all being said we still hope to retire in Vegas in 8 years or so. We want heat and love the desert landscape. No state tax and much lower property taxes look inviting to us. I could never imagine living in a landlocked state but I guess we are ready to do so.

9. robron

robron Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always lived in the same town ever since I was born. I actually live next door to the house that I grew up in. The one and only time that I moved was to move into the house that we live in now 30 years ago (wow, 30 years, now I am feeling really old!). I would like to think that maybe some day we could leave these god forsaken winters and go somewhere warm for a few months but I know that I would always need to come back in the summer. Maine really is a great place to live, sometimes we need to see it through the eyes of a tourist before we really appreciate it the way we should.

10. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in Cleveland and moved to Columbus for school and I never left. It's not too far from my family so that is nice. The main reason I still live here is that I am lazy. The idea of moving after living in the same place for nearly 20 years is just such a turn off that I won't be going anywhere soon.

11. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in a small town in SE Iowa and settled in Des Moines for 10 years after graduating from college. Loved Des Moines, its an unrated city. Hated the winters. A year and a half ago we moved to the Tulsa area for work opportunity I couldn't pass up. Like the winters in Oklahoma and the people are very friendly, but its not home. Eventually want to move someplace warmer (Florida, California, etc).

12. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live where I live....Orange County, CA. quite simply because...........we have the best climate in the world. Period. Bar none.
    I think we actually turned on our furnace 5 days this winter. It is totally shut down for the year right now.(has been for a few months)
    A/C? .............We have no A/C. Open the windows and let the ocean breeze in.
    Ceiling fans keep it all nice inside.
    Yeah, we may top out around 90 degrees or so for about a week per year, so we break out the extra floor fans.

We are far enough from LA to avoid all your typical big city problems.

5 miles to the beach.
    7 miles to Disneyland.
    10 miles to Angel Stadium/Honda Center
    Just under an hour to Santa Anita (the best race track in the world)
    1.5 - 2 hours to the mountains or deserts.
    2 hours to Mexico.
    3.5 hours to the Colorado River.

And best of all..........43 minutes by air to Las Vegas. (never drive...........driving is for sober people) :beer: ;)

Oh, and yes, it costs a bit more to live here, LOL.....but it's well worth it. :)

13. TXactuarial

TXactuarial VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wife's family is from Des Moines. Therefore, we live in Des Moines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.