1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Can anyone shed some light on this DDBP hand? (pics)

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by FXT, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is on Videopoker.com

As you can see in the first picture I held just the King and it green lighted me with the best hold. The second time it yellow lighted me and wanted me to hold the King and 10. Does it have to do with the suit? What am I missing?

This isn't the only time it's done this. I feel like this game just messes with me so I can't get 100% of hands right lol. My best long term (500+) score is 95% and I can't seem to improve on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are throwing away an opportunity for the royal by not holding the ten also. Now if was ace ten in ddb, you'd toss the ten and just hold the ace.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's because it's K 10 suited with no other high cards. You keep high card and 10 suited unless the high card is ACE then you keep just Ace. Ace 10 suited is tempting to keep but not the right play.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has to do with a more advanced concept in video poker. Penalty cards.

In 9/5 DDB, KT suited is very close in expected value as holding the King only. So the best play depends on what the other 3 cards are in the hand! If the other 3 cards are NOT the same suit as the KT, then you should hold KT suited. If one of the cards (2-8; all other cards give you 3 to SF or RF) is the same suit as the KT suited, then you should hold the King only.

In 9/6 DDB, this hand actually gets even weirder because the flush pays more. If the other 3 cards are NOT the same suit as the KT, then you should hold KT suited just like 9/5. If one of the cards (2-8) is the same suit as the KT suited, then you should hold KT AND the 3rd suited card for a 3 to a flush draw!

The good news is if you ever get these decisions incorrect, it will not cost you very much in the long run. All penalty exceptions costs a basic strategy player 0.0019% at 9/5 DDB. So it's much more important to have basic strategy down. I wouldn't sweat penalty situations too much.

5. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct but if I was chasing the royal bp or job is the better option no? I understand the logic behind holding them both but I don't understand why in one scenario K10 is the best hold and the other scenario only K is the best hold.

The first hand had 3,5,6 as the other 3 cards and the second hand had 3,7,9 ... I don't see how those cards effect the outcome of giving a higher royal chance.

6. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for that explanation. Makes sense and explains why sometimes it wants me to hold 3 to a flush and other times it doesn't. Less chance of a flush if 1+ low cards of same suit are out = hold just the King.

7. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, you got it, but it has to be exactly one extra suited card. Any more would be a 4 to a flush draw, but you're more trained to notice those. ;)

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, Doug beat me to it...Penalty cards...that's tough with the K10s because if you have like a K10s with a suited 678, you don't hold the 10.

9. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I misread the hand. Good catch. But like tring says it comes down to penalty cards. I don't worry about it as you're giving up a minuscule amount and I'm not pretending to be an advantage player.

10. Gambling Host

Gambling Host Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a question regarding the first hand, is holding only the king the right play? If I was only going to hold one card it would be the queen as I can make more straights then holding only the king and there are no clubs out where there are two other hearts out. maybe its too minor to make a difference just curious. Personally I hold both face cards there.

11. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

First picture shows the hand after a redraw. Original hand is on the right under the green Yes light. Second picture shows the original hand. Under the orange light on the right is the best hold.

12. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I got threw off by that too at first. Yes KQ is better than King only. But look at the tiny poker hand in the bottom right hand corner, that shows you the original 5 cards he was dealt.

13. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a side question to video poker, basically just want to know if I played a hand correctly.

I was playing a 5 max $1 machine, think it was DD. I was dealt three 3's and an Ace. The payout for four 3's w/Ace kicker was $3000 if I remember correctly. Damn wish I took a picture. Four 3's paid $400. I decided to keep the kicker, cutting my chance of 4oak in half. What is the correct play here?

Like I said, I kept the Ace, drew a rag and got paid for 3oak.

14. Goldlot

Goldlot Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep the correct play is to never hold the kicker when you are dealt trips. The bonus for 4OAK (400 for 2s,3s,and 4s and 800 for Aces) is a huge part of your expected return. Getting the double bonus is trusted to luck.

15. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For DDB, 4 2s-4s w/a kicker is only $800 at dollars. For Triple Double Bonus, 4 2s-4s w/a kicker is $2000 at dollars. I am assuming you were playing Triple Double Bonus based on your description. And if you are playing that, then yes, you hold trips and a kicker in any scenario. When playing standard Double Double Bonus, then no, you don't hold kickers.

16. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He could have also been playing a progressive where the 3333A was at $3000..if so, then holding the kicker would have been the right play.

17. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Gold and Trip. I guess the only thing to do is go back to the scene of the crime and find out what game I was playing.

HONEY, PACK A BAG!

18. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tim, you're closer to Reno Harrah's than I am. Head over the hill and check. They were the first set of VP slots when you walk through the revolving door. Thanks!

19. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now Tim has the perfect excuse to head to Reno :evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.