1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why do you live where you live?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The thread on not moving to Vegas got me thinking about choices in where we live, why it is each of us lives in the city/town/whatever presently (or always) called home. I've moved a lot in my life, and the why of it mostly was dictated by others -- parents -- and then of course later I dictated the why of it all whether chasing a dream, maybe a skirt, an advanced degree and several times a career.

Where we live is important to us. Quality of life is very important. That we found that here is a bit of a happenstance since we ended up here solely and simply because of a career advancement opportunity. That we ended up in a great part of the world is just a bonus. (We moved from the heart of So Cal smog and heat up about half way between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.) It was a definite win-win for us.

So to answer my own question, we're here because of work. And we can see staying around here. (Though some day ... Bend, Oregon.)

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    grew up here mostly I guess, we're just above the smog layer
    and when my friends back east bitch about the 10ft of snow, then 3 months later?
    yeah they say they'd never pay that much for a house out here....ok but at least I don't know what snow tires are

3. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My parents moved me up here when I was five years old and I've been here ever since. Obviously I wasn't really able to have a choice until around the time I turned 18, but I'm 28 now and I'm still here. I have a good, steady job which certainly doesn't hurt. I have some family here in town, I love the weather and the golf and have built some good relationships with people here in town.

4. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We moved to the Reno/Carson City area one year ago tomorrow and it has been the best move ever. After living/working 30 years in Houston, it was time to retire. Our criteria were:
    1) No state income tax
    2) Must have lots of sunshine (300 days per year here)
    3) Smaller city with decent sized airport
    4) 4 seasons (in Houston and Las Vegas, you get 8 months of summer and everything else.....as well as a ton of traffic)
    5) Gambling
    6) Fishing and hiking options

We love living here.....although there are some things about Nevada that are very strange after living in Texas for all these years......like having to get a permit to replace a hot water heater!

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What? You don't even need to do that here in the People's Republic of California!?!

6. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My job has moved me around a lot. Pretty much the only reason I left Canada but I do love Austin! It was also closer than Luxembourg...where I lived for 3 years. The travel from there was getting to me.

7. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken--I figure most of the weird regulations that I see here were developed by people who moved here from California! :poke: I know most of the crazy drivers around here have California plates! LOL Of course, I'm not sure Reno could make it without all the Californians contributing to our economy, so can't be too hard on them. :)

8. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    umm yeah you do?, Lowes gave me one when I replaced ours last year

9. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dupe post

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a glutton for punishment ,why else would I stay in a place that most people bad-mouth.

11. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when people laugh at my being from California and make comments about Hippies?
    I think of Jersey and think ...could be worse?:wink2:

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta be a local land-use regulation, county or city of Los Angeles. (SCAQMD?)

13. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was born in Ohio but my parents and I were walking on the ugly shore of Lake Erie one day when I was around five and they decided to pack everything up and move to Malibu, CA, sight unseen. Did just that, lived there for a couple years until my mom saw kids bringing their Thermos full of booze to the junior high where she worked. Suddenly convinced Malibu wasn't the right place to raise a child, we moved to the safe haven of Mission Viejo at eight or nine and I've lived in general vicinity in the ~35 years since. Stayed here because I love the proximity to everything – beach, mountains, desert, L.A., San Diego, etc. On the other hand, I hate it for the cost of living and my lackluster career trajectory that makes everything feel like a struggle. Would love to one day head up Ken's way to the Central Coast (not that it's any more affordable, but I love the whole aura up there).

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aside from the weather and aesthetic of sea and oak hills and vineyards, no urban crap, what touched us most has been the people. A town this size, with everyone crossing paths all the time between work and charitable events and civic activities and Friday eve high school football games and what not, lends itself so easily to friendships.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Umm, Mark, we live in Lompoc. lol Cash out and come on up!

16. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was born in St. Paul and have been around the area ever since. Wife moved down to the cities for college from International Falls and never turned back. Now at 35, we are still here. Career stability is part of it, but we just haven't had the exposure to enough other areas of the nation to just pick up and branch out somewhere else.

17. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was born and raised within twenty-five miles of where we live, we bought the house were in because it was the most affordable, in the best school district in our area. I have added additions, and doubled the size of it. Were a few minutes walk to a beach, and some of the best perch, walleye and steelhead fishing in the country. I’ve had opportunities to relocate for jobs, but my wife doesn’t want to move while her parents are still alive. And now with grandkids, were here till the end. Lol

More then likely we’ll end up snowbirding it for three or four months a year after we retire, hell maybe one winter we’ll stay with Ken.

I use to love the four seasons, snow is like white gold for my bis, but as my arthritis has gotten worse, winters have kicked my ass the last couple years. I have been on steroids the last three months, from a new arthritis doc who seems very sure about what I have, and says I will be much better in a few more months and off the steroids, as another drug kicks in, hope she’s right.

18. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy having winter be all of 2 or 3 weeks. And the hurricanes, you usually have a few days warning plus I am about 10 blocks away from the mandatory evacuation zone. So I'm safe.:drunk:

Houston has a relatively low cost of living compared to other large cities, higher than average salaries and no income tax.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reno-Tahoe fan here. Planning a little golf junket up that way this summer. The tax scene is advantageous, agree on the airport, always great to have a university near by. If only Truckee was in Nevada or Montreux wasn't so damn expensive.

As for those drivers ... Californians are the best drivers in the Great Republic. Move it along and we all get along. That is our only rule. Tentative, milquetoast drivers need not apply. :thumbsup: (OK, 65-mph-driving Priuses and Subarus in the left lane are the BANE of humanity.)

20. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with everything you have said, but we were living in the northwest side of town and the traffic had become unbearable. There are many things to love about Houston, Texas, but the weather (IMHO) is not one of them. We ran our air conditioner this past year for two weeks.....and one of those was due to the horrific King Fire in Northern California. I love the cool nights during the summer.

This was a good move for us and maybe the commute on 290 is better now that we've been gone for a year! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.