1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

March 11-15: SLS takeaways and the Omnia crunch

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by InDaGreen, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InDaGreen

InDaGreen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hotel: As a single traveler, the small size of my World Superior King room on the 25th floor wasn't much of an issue. The absence of a dresser was frustrating, but the TV is so much easier to use compared to Aria or Vdara. I didn't have any neighbors until Saturday night, when I could hear their antics at 4 a.m. through the thin walls. The elevators could get a bit wonky (telling me it was going down when it was actually going up, which meant riding for an extra floor or two before heading to the lobby), but the hotel staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable.

Unfortunately, I don't see how the property can sustain itself for any length of time. The place was basically empty until Friday afternoon, even with several conventions and three major basketball tournaments in town. Where else on the Strip would you find empty $5 craps or blackjack tables on a Thursday night?

I'd recommend SLS as a fine substitute for mid- or lower-tier MGM properties (say Monte Carlo until it gets room renovations as part of its rebranding), so long as you have a car or monorail pass.

Dining: In between stops at Secret Pizza, I had the excellent Sticky Toffee Pudding at Gordon Ramsay Steak - sugar-coated crack, my friends! - and several outstanding items off the social hour menu at Rose. Rabbit. Lie. The Thai-accented shrimp and grits was a particular standout, and I am already planning a proper dinner visit on my next trip.

Entertainment: As a fan on Cirque du Soleil, I gladly cashed in my MyVegas points to finally see Zumanity. Dare I say, it might have the highest re-watchability quotient of any Cirque show in Las Vegas thanks to its bawdy and hilarious audience interaction. The acrobatics are up to the usual high standards, though the aerial hoops acts I had seen in commercials apparently exited the show during its recent overhaul.

On the other end of the spectrum is Michael Monge's classic Vegas lounge act at Wynn's Eastside Lounge. Plenty of Sinatra standards are in the show - perhaps a nod to Mr. Steve Wynn, who was in the audience Saturday night - along with other classics from the great American songbook (Billy Joel, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the Temptations, and the like). At a more than reasonable $10 cover, this is a tremendous throwback to the 'good ol' days' of the mobbed-up Strip at a price that won't end up in a hole in the desert.

Gambling: The craps tables were ice cold, and it looked like the sports book was going to be just as unkind. My conference tournament scouting was spot on, but the last-second luck was against me (SDSU gave up a worthless 3 at the buzzer to lose against the spread; Purdue missed a free throw in the closing seconds that would have given them the cover).

Fortunately, I loved Notre Dame +130 in the ACC championship game, and parlaying it with Iowa State on the money line got me back even for the trip.

Add in $125 in free slot play I won by signing up for the SLS players club card, which turned into $360 cash with a big $240 bonus game win on Strike It Rich Again, and I somehow ended up for the second consecutive trip.

Observations: The location of Omnia in Caesars Palace is - how do I put this nicely? - ill-advised. The regular gaming tables and party pit already constrict the flow of traffic down the corridor towards the sports book, but it is even worse when people are standing around to meet their friends before entering the club. Exacerbating the issue, there was a red carpet/media event to promote the club's opening Saturday night at the end of the corridor where NOBU and the Old Homestead are located, reducing access via this alternate route.

As soon as you have a night where there is a marquee DJ at Omnia, a headline show at the Colosseum emptying out, and a big game or fight at the sports book, that area of Caesars is going to be absolute pandemonium.

2. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. Glad you went home a winner. I tried the stick toffee pudding a couple of weekends ago at Gordon Ramsey in AC and I agree, it is fabulous! I didn't realize SLS was still doing free play for signups or did you have a special offer?

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report.... very well-written. Thank You for sharin' the trip!

4. InDaGreen

InDaGreen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are still offering free play for signups.

5. InDaGreen

InDaGreen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should clarify that the free play comes from a virtual spinning wheel after accessing your account on any slot machine that awards anywhere from $5 up to $5,000.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And of course, the most common prize by far is $5. So great hit, and good job turning it into more! I was quite disappointed that SLS got rid of their good, cheap VP. Other than location, I don't have a problem with the place. The location is a killer though. Nothing around it.

7. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report -- was curious about the SLS recently. Seems like it's going to need things to change to keep on track.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always intend to make the trek to SLS but never make it. Hopefully next trip.....it is just so out of the way. Is the act in Wynn's Eastside Lounge weekends only?

9. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report and agreed on SLS. It's actually really nice but just a terrible location. Me and 2 friends drove there on a Tuesday and it was dead. 2 of us got $5 free slot play, the other got $125. I was the only one that ended up down a bit. I think if they dropped it where Excalibur or Mandalay Bay are, it could make it.

10. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.