1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Okay, So I Finally Got WIFI

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And made a network connection to my tv. How in the world do I access it? I have been through the manual and will try online, but I thought somebody here may know an easy way.

The tv is a Samsung. I have DirecTV. Does that have anything to do with it?

Bear in my mind my gadget IQ is around 65.

2. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess the question is: what are you trying to access? Netflix? Amazon?

Assuming you have a smart tv (no roku box or other connection besides the Direct box), there should be a menu button on the tv remote that will bring up a screen that says online apps or something as simple as "netflix" Highlight that and press enter.

No reason to go home yet.
  3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look on you tube for videos of how to do it. I use that for everything. Search something like how do i connect my samsung tv to wifi and you will get alot of videos to choose from.

4. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breezy, tell me what model # Sammy you have?

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like a 6300, Series 6.

I primarily want Netflix.

But other internet stuff, too.

6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    got any teenagers next door? they'll have you hooked up faster than shit through a goose.

7. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally lost, over my head. Like Mike said, I need a kid.

I'm thinking the DirecTV receiver needs to be connected to the wifi. I give up for today.

Thanks everyone for trying.

9. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude, the wifi goes straight to the TV, the Direct tv box has fuck all to do with it
    use the Samsung remote instead

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    line of the day right there!

11. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breeze, you need to change your tv input to whatever is bringing in you wifi signal to your tv. I have directv and use Roku. I need to use my directv remote and slide the top bar to tv and hit the input button until you see your other device.

Hope this helps.

To get back to your tv. You need to leave that top button on tv then hit tv input button until your directv screen shows. Then you have to slide that button back to directv so it works on your box.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have DirecTV and a smartass TV.......and I call it a smartass TV because the stupid 60" Vizio use to turn off sometimes when were watching it, but hasn't done that in quite a while. HOWEVER, it now sometimes turns itself ON a few minutes after you turned it off. The first couple of times it did it when I went to bed and then I heard voices in the living room.....a bit scary at first....LOL

But anyways, I have DirecTV and it's a TIVO unit that can only be hardwired to the internet and I'm guessing your would have to hardwired also.

As everyone said, use the remote that came with the TV not your remote from DirecTV.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frank - Thanks for the PM and the chuckle. Everybody - Thanks for the input. I'm going to give it a rest for the night and will try again tomorrow. :beer:

14. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no prob, good luck

15. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have DTV also. In order for me to get On Demand Programming I had to hook up a Belkin wireless router to the computer which sends a signal to a box provided by DTV This box is directly next to the Genie master DTV box. The DTV tech told me that on demand comes through the internet rather than the satellite.
    I spent the better part of an hour with one of Breezes friends from India because the internet connection was lost. Daughter showed up' disconnected power cord from router ,re-connected it and voila!! internet restored in two seconds. Verizon rep told me since I've been a loyal customer for so long (in other words ,I pay my bill on time) they are sending me a new motem with a built in router free.I'm a caveman when it comes to this stuff.

16. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am no help...reading through this thread is equal to me trying to read a foreign language. It is reassuring to at least know I am not totally alone in my techie ability. Over the holidays, my Texas son added chromecast to our TV, added icons to my iPad and my husband's phone. The son literally put together an instructional manual for us old folks titled "How to Use Step-by-Step Instructions Impossible to Screw Up."

Breeze....much luck today!

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grab a neighbourhood 9 year old kid. Pay them in junk food. They'll sort it out for you.

18. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on the kid option, but maybe high school age would be better. Always worked for my tech problems.

I wouldn't put anything through a cable or satellite box. They generally need to be rebooted twice a month just to bring you regular TV. The other day, I hooked in a DVD player, bypassing the box, but the damn box sensed it somehow, thought it was a VCR, and wouldn't record on its internal DVR. These things are perpetually outsmarting themselves. Who the hell even has a VCR nowadays?

Online instructions are hit-or-miss, but some can be good if they show your exact situation. Good luck.

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breeze, if this is a new Samsung, it's probably one of their Smart TV's. We have one, but I don't have it hooked up correctly, I'm still using my FIOS remote and cable box to change channels. But, once you get it hooked up, the TV will pick up your wifi signal, just plug in your password and you can access some of the pre loaded apps. Plus, you can search for other apps, you don't need a Roku. You probably already have the Netflix app installed, but you might also like one called Crackle, it is owned by Sony and has some movies and tv shows, but with limited commercials. I just saw California Split last week, a fun gambling movie from the '70's. George Segal has a yellow Pinto.

Good luck with getting this set up.

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is not a Smart tv. It recognizes the network but has no apps that I can find. "The book says set it to a channel not being used." I've tried every channel, but all I get is snow.

Now, my Samsung Blu-ray player shows internet (Anynet) but does not recognize the network on setup.

The installer of the wireless said the unit was the wireless receiver and the router, but none of the buttons on it do anything. He didn't leave me the manual. Should I get the manual? It is a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580. I'll try to find that online.

Okay, I found the user's guide online, but it might as well be written in Cyrillic. I think my buddy's wife might be able to help. She knows how to do this stuff. She has theirs hooked up. She showed me how to sync the Bluetooth on my Jeep, which qualifies for genius status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.