1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Cars

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mikeinct, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinct

mikeinct Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just started planning a trip for july. I can't believe the prices for rental cars.I know prices will go up and down between now and july,but this is my highest starting point ever370.00 for compact for 9 days.Any advice would be appreciated.TIA

2. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Mike-

Are you staying off the strip or are you planning on doing things on the outskirts of the city? If you aren't, I'd recommend not getting a rental car. You won't likely need it...

If you DO need a car, have you ever tried priceline for it? I have gotten rentals for less than $10 a day using the "name your own price".

Have a great trip!

-MrsFuri

3. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't worry about prices too much yet. You have plenty of time to shop for bargains. We are going out in June and haven't even begun to search for a rental car for our stay. Unless there is a big event or convention in town during your dates, you should see the prices falling as your date gets closer. The past few trips we have had good success using Costco codes through Alamo. Once I find a reasonable price I book it. Then keep checking daily, even until the date of travel, for a better price. Never, never accept a pre-paid reservation, most of those have penalties for cancellation. Make a standard reservation and you are able to rebook and cancel without penalty. Las Vegas has one of the largest rental car inventories in the nation, lots of competition. Be patient, I'm sure you'll find a reasonable rental before you leave.

4. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Kazoo said...
    I booked a full week reservation last week for 270. One week and 2 rebookings later it is already down to 221. Just have to keep an eye on it. That's the way I end up doing it every year and normally i have it down to the 120 to 150 range by the time the trip comes around.

USBC Nationals
  5. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Be prepared to pay a lot more for car rentals. We've always been able to snag a rental for under $150/week. Lately, it doesn't matter whether you look far in advance or close to the date; they are not coming down. Trust me-I look several time a day for our trip in April and we're paying $365 for a two week rental and I feel lucky to have gotten that at Costco. We went to LV in Oct., Dec, and Feb. and we've paid more for a rental on those trips than at anytime in the past. Just sayin'.......

6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Patience. Unless there is something big going on during your stay rental car rates will go down. I just booked this week for 17 days from now and I expect to cancel and rebook again before my trip. Ours is a 9 night trip and the rates started out over $400 including taxes and fees. I booked a mid size 2 days ago for $290 and like I said...I expect it to go down. Our last trip in Nov I rebooked 3 times with Dollar with my final best rate being 2 days before my trip. Don't do any prepaid booking...book when the price gets to something you are willing to pay and just keep checking back. Rental cars are one of the few things that can get much cheaper the closer you are to your trip. Is the rate you quoted including tax and fees? You have to be careful the rate they initially show you does not include all that and LAS has a LOT of added fees and high taxes.

7. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

I guess I've been spoiled by low rates in the past. To me, anything more than $150/week is expensive.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rates will probably start coming down next month. You just need to keep checking.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costs are all based on supply and demand so best to be patient and be prepared to book when the price goes down. You can always cancel your reservation so best to book the reservation before cancelling the other one. It also depends if there are special events occurring during your stay that may raise rates.

I regularly checked rental prices for the trip I took 2 weeks ago. Prices started out high 3 - 4 months ago but as it got closer the prices started dropping. I was pretty much checking daily and rebooked and cancelled when I got a better rate. It seems like prices started dropping noticeably about 3 - 4 weeks prior to my trip but then started going back up as it got closer (I was there during NASCAR week).

Also note that some rental agencies (like dollar and thrifty) have "local" rates so you can also check their sites and click on the "local" rate button to find lower rates. I found the best rates for national chains coming on the Costco site but you need to be a member and have your Costco card when you pick up your rental car. Not needed to show your card all the time but sometimes the clerk will ask for your Costco card when you rent your car so you don't want to be without the Costco card just in case.

I usually use Kayak and check the rental rates. I found Payless, Sixth and Fox to have the lowest rates overall but I would rather rent from national chains as they have more car selection and are more reliable IMHO.

10. kevhoofd

kevhoofd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Idid make a reservation for a midsize suv trough the cityspecials at DOLLAR. it went from $560 to $235. so it's definately worth it.

11. Italladdsup

Italladdsup Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see the city specials on dollar anymore, are they still doing that?

12. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only on some dates in Vegas. Other places it is available most all the time.

I echo what N & J is saying about pricing. $150 for a week is about the highest I have paid in the past, unfortunately, I think those days might be gone.

13. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try autoslash.com I've had great luck using them in the last few years! It auto reboots you if a price goes down, and you only pay when you arrive at the counter!

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure it all depends on the dates but I'm seeing rates higher than Costco for my trip in May. But it's another good resource to check in the future. It's interesting that an SUV is cheaper than economy.

15. disappearingdusk

disappearingdusk Tourist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.