1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Adjustable driver

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have one, what if anything have you done with it? (Cursing it, chucking it in the lake, etc., excluded.)

2. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

The first TaylorMade club I've owned is an SLDR driver. It's great. I have it set up with the Oban Kiyoshi White 65 gram. I have no desire to switch this year.

I've always been a Callaway guy for the most part, with Titleist Vokeys and a Scotty Cameron thrown in. I've demoed everything over the years, but I always seem to come back to Callaway. I got the Apex Pro irons recently and really love them.

3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Currently using an RBZ Stage 1 9.5* turned down 0.5* to 9* with a slightly open face. Just put a Tour AD BB-6 67 gram in it back in September to replace a Fubuki ZT 60. I've tried the SLDR and the Stage 2 but I don't hit them anywhere near the Stage 1 so I'm sticking with it likely until the face gives way.

I spent a couple hours with my instructor and worked on tuning it to minimize spin and maximize launch. I hit it from all different settings with a bunch of shafts on Trackman.

With the Fubuki and at 9* had spin rate down to 2900 with an 11.8* launch angle for a carry distance of 276.
    With the Tour AD at 9* spin rate is down to 2750 and launch angle to 11.4* carry distance 279.

Getting them close to the Tour averages of 2685 and 11.2* however I'm not at the 112 MPH average more in the 107 range.

One other thing, with the adjustable drivers with the shaft sleeves it makes it much easier to test different shafts with one single club head instead of having a bunch of demos.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played my last two drivers about 1.5* open, so an effective loft a point-plus lower (get's me at 9.25, 9.5). I launch somewhere between PGA Tour and LPGA Tour averages. I really like an open face, I just feel comfortable looking at it. And since golf is a game of opposite, it helps me hit draws (I know, I know), though if I really lean on it it get this pretty baby cut that just penetrates. You gotta love the new face and weighting performance.

For about three months I've been playing the new Cobra Fly-Z and I love it. And it's blue, and blue is purdy.

5. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know exactly what you mean about opposites. I set my irons a touch open at address when I'm playing a draw. I don't know what it is about the open face at setup but it helps me hit a draw. Maybe my mind behind more conscious of really releasing the club. Who knows. It just works and that's good enough for me.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can miss both ways, but the Big Ugly is the quick lefts. Like you that toe hanging a bit out is reassuring, so I can relax and not force it or fear it as much and I don't think, which is probably the best part. When I get tired or tense or press, the butter cuts and draws turn into out-and-out slices or hand-flip hooks, or the dreaded Munson. I'm fine dealing with that deep block if I don't release, because in this game overall, the right side is often far less penal than the left. (And I've never broken a window on the right!!!)

7. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been playing a Titleist 913D3 since I got it almost two years ago and haven't changed the settings since I first got it and tried them all out until it was dialed in. I've always favored a bit of an open clubface, and while I forget exactly what the setting is, it's set to the most open setting and lowest loft (originally 9.5).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.