1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Base Points vs. Bonus Points

Discussion in 'Comps' started by marksind, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't normally pay much attention to special points deals, but just returned from four days in Vegas staying at the Downtown Grand where they have a "5x Points" Thursday promotion. My wife and I played several hours of video poker there Thursday and racked up what seemed like a lot of points. When I inquired about what they were good for, the answer was basically nothing. Seems like food and free play credits are determined only on "base points," which don't vary with the special promos. They couldn't tell me anything specific about the value to us of the bonus points.

Anyone else familiar with point systems and whether it's normal for there to be different point categories? If so, what are "bonus points" typically good for, or are these point promos just a gimmick to get people in who don't realize they really aren't worth anything?

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who did you inquire with? Was it the player's club booth or the host booth next to the cashier's cage?

At DTG, AFAIK, points are points, and they should have been good for RFB. I will be there on Thursday and inquire.

3. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DaiLun,

I think that may have been the case, but the DTG seems to mess with things all the time. When we played there in December points were points, as you say. We racked up food credits faster than we could use them as well as significant free play. Last Thursday I inquired three times at the Player's Club booth with different people, and was told each time that now only "base points" count toward food and free play. None of them could tell me what the "bonus points" are good for since their most recent changes. We got about $5 of free play and food credit for all our play. It's automatic (flashes on the screen while you're playing when you've earned it), so the changes are real and not some individual misunderstanding the rules.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not know their system, so I could be out of line.

But, most clubs have two sets of points. One is for reaching the various tier levels. The others are for comps (food, etc).

5. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Technically, a lot have THREE sets..
    Slot points = points earned from machine play
    Table Points = points earned from tables (which usually aren't "shown", but are used for back-end purposes)
    Tier Credits = points used to determine your car tier.

6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt that DTG is that sophisticated. They are going through a lot of changes to see what works and what doesn't work.

I will be there Thursday and get the straight scoop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.