1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question about golf in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Elf70, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son will be joining me on my Vegas trip this summer. He is a golf nut and will play everyday while we are there. I have warned him about the Vegas heat but since he plays all summer in the South Carolina heat he is convinced he'll be fine.

Could you golfers please recommend some courses he could play? Moderately priced and reasonably close would be preferred.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. alexb7

alexb7 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bali Hai is nice.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's summer, so all prices save at places like Shadow will be good. 25 minutes out LV Paiute is winner-winner-winner with three outstanding courses, and they do re-play and other specials. Best overall facility in the valley. Revere in Henderson -- Lexington not Concord; actually, probably a longer drive than Paiute time-wise since you gotta get across town and through Henderson. Do you mean "close" as in Strip-close? That severely limits the options and the quality but it still can be done.

I've played 'em all across Clark County. So please drop me a line if you have any questions.

4. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know you said you'd like to keep it relatively close to Vegas, but I would think Wolf Creek in Mesquite (about 75 miles away) would be a treat for a golf aficionado.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Otherworldly, almost. Conestoga is surprisingly strong. And on the way out ... Coyote Springs. My now-fave course in the area.

6. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wolf Creek is still on my Vegas bucket list. This thread just cost me 30 minutes of my life just staring at pics of that place. I've decided after this upcoming trip my next trip is going to include Wolf Creek no ifs ands or buts about it. Just looks stunning. The holes carved through the rocks is unreal! I'd love to see a picture of that piece of land before the golf course was built.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll pass this all along so he can start planning. He will rent a car so he'll happily travel a bit for a great experience.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the plug, snide.

I've played a lot of desert golf over the years, and nothing out there looks like Wolf Creek. That's cool. It makes the place stunningly unique and it makes it a place most would never choose as their go-to course. I think the area has better courses -- a handful -- but it is bucket worthy. k, if you want to see the pre-build condition just amble around those badlands up that way.

Elf, driving a bit (meaning you aren't tied to Strip-proximity) or more than a bit pays huge dividends when it comes to Vegas golf. How many days does he plan to play?

10. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He will play 3 or 4 times. He will be happy to drive. He really is golf obsessed and has no interest in Vegas overall. When I invited him to join me on the trip his first comment was - golf in the desert, great. Lol.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smart kid.

3-day Itin: Double up one day at Paiute, playing Snow Mountain and Wolf. One day up in Mesquite, Wolf Creek or Conestoga -- which I think is way underrated; sure, it's not Wolf, but underrated -- or pull up a little short and play Coyote Springs (better course than Wolf, not remotely as guttural). Final day up in Summerlin; see what he can get for cheap afternoon rate or third-party rate at Bear's Best or TPC Las Vegas. Or, the best attainable course missing on this list is Reflection Bay, and it would be worth a call out there to see the 2015 summer rate since this will be the first summer it's been open in years.

If adding a day: Boulder Creek.

Are you a player of note with MGM or McCaesars and can set him up on Shadow or Cascata?

12. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for the itinerary. I can't wait to show it to him! I am sure my host (MGM) would set something up for him. Would the MGM course be a better experience than something on your itinerary?

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he can play Shadow, play Shadow. That is legitimately one of the best courses in America. It's not remotely a desert experience, but that's OK. The entire package is soooo cool. I'd nuke Boulder Creek.

Caveat: Some here might -- and legitimately so -- say most of these on my list are not "value" courses. During summer, most -- TPC and RB are the two question marks -- do fall well into attainable land, by how I estimate things, and I'd say all represent value despite the cost. He could play a LVGC or LV National and save some shekels. But that's the beauty of summer golf in the American desert west ... it opens up a land of opportunity.

14. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks again Ken for taking the time to respond. I'll definitely be able to impress him with my new found Vegas golf knowledge. He is going to have a great time!

15. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For affordability, I'd definitely recommend booking his golf through GolfNow.com and/or TeeOff.com. Both offer lots of good deals in the Vegas area, especially the selected "Deal" times on TeeOff.com.

16. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank M_ILIS. I sent him both. He's excited to start researching everything.

17. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just be sure to check the rates at the course before before at Golf Now. 99% of the time you will get a better deal on Golf Now but I worked a golf course a few summers ago and our specials were often better prices like $34 for 18 holes and a cart while the Golf Now price for the same time was $45 so if you never checked with us you'd pay $45 to Golf Now online and show up and couldve saved a few bucks.

Rare occurence but it does happen so just check with the course first. Not to mention sometimes the courses have value added packages of you book through them for things replays if he is going to play 36 in a day like out at Piute.

18. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip klawrey!

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd not be so bold as to put any certainty rate on it, let alone 99. There is no question third-party booking can save some coin, but many courses -- like hotels -- are trying to claim back some of that territory so the smart adage is simply to check twice, pay least.

20. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's fair. It probably does occur more than we realize. I've only seen it happen at my old course and it's happen to me once when they changed rates at the course after I book but thankfully it was a Golf Now rate that was due at the course so the guy gave me the better rate.

Although, there was nothing better than a guy coming in the shop and seeing the rate and complaining and us advising him to always check with us because often we'd even match Golf Now for the sake of them not having to pay the booking fees. Yet, the next week would roll around and the same guy would come in having done the same thing. I don't know if that is "Old habits die hard" or "You can't fix stupid." :rolleyes2:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.