1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buchon Vs. Mon Ami Gabi brunch

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by mattMN10, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattMN10

mattMN10 Minnesota living. Las Vegas dreaming.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those that have tried both, does one trump the other?

I've wanted to try Buchon for the fact that it's a Thomas Keller restaurant, but I'm intrigued by the view at Mon Ami.

Opinions, suggestions, comments?

Hope everyone is having a great week! :peace:

Buddies 4th of July Bash
  2. rezmike

rezmike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can find Bouchon, it's a great place. Even though it doesn't have the Strip view, the inside of the restaurant and the windows provide a very pleasing ambiance. I haven't gone to the Paris one, since there's a Mon Ami Gabi in Chicago, but I've been to Bouchon twice now. The chicken and waffles was extremely good, especially with the hunter's sauce they make. Definitely leaning towards Bouchon-

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are huge fans of Bouchon, whether Vegas or Yountville (or at home with our copy of his cookbook!). I've long touted MAG but it's just not the same in this regard. Or consider db Brasserie at Venetian. Terri and I dropped some coin coin coin there in December. If you don't hop as long on the Bloody Mary train and wine list it helps. But just a worthwhile time and dining experience.

4. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll put my vote in for Bouchon. MAG is lovely, with solid food and a great Strip view. But I really love Bouchon at breakfast/brunch time. It's tucked away in the Venezia Tower, so it gives you a secluded, more intimate feel. In the mornings, in particular, you can kind of squirrel away with your hungover self and recharge for another day of Vegas.

A final breakfast at Bouchon has become a ritual for me on the days I fly out. But any day works. I start with a Corpse Reviver #2 (maybe two) and a French 75, then move into some wine and a couple courses of breakfast. Their beignets (French style, not NOLA style) are one of the best baked goods I've ever had. Love the menu, though it's rich and decadent. I think the food is executed a bit better in Yountville, but this is very good indeed. Great patio on days when the weather is nice.

Ah, it's killing me now to go back!

- - - Updated - - -

I can see you have excellent taste in food, sir! Love it.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you had the sweetbreads at Bouchon Yountville?!?! Winner.

6. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also vote for Bouchon. If the weather is nice, it's tough to beat a table outside in the courtyard area. I agree with the poster above that it's a nice, quiet place to recharge your battery after a night in Vegas (which is exceedingly difficult to find). I had the steak and eggs last time, which was great --it also comes with French fries, which are a nice hangover food :)

7. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, indeed. Love good sweetbreads, and theirs are some of the best!

8. mattMN10

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input!! I feel like the "tucked away" aspect of Buchon could be really nice in the a.m., along with a nice comfortable patio to enjoy the late April mornings (day dreaming as I look outside at the frigid -25 degree weather). I think I will plan on visiting all three mentioned (Buchon, MAG, and db) if my appetite and time work out in my favor. I was even thinking about checking out db for happy hour one evening. If I'm able to eat at a Thomas Keller, Danial Boulud and Michael Mina (already booked) restaurant in one trip... this should turn out to be a great culinary adventure :licklips:

Buddies 4th of July Bash
  9. pbqltbook

pbqltbook Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used to be a big Bouchon fan -- and agree that the patio seating is wonderful. But we've had two bad meals in a row there (breakfast and dinner), along with inattentive service one time.Right now I think DB Brasserie has better tasting food, and trumps no outdoor seating.

10. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bouchon no question, I was actually quite unimpressed with MAG when we went there both in terms of food and service.

11. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to MAG many times because friends and family always insist on going there.

Personally, I've never seen the appeal. The food is decent... nothing wrong with it... but nothing about it makes me compelled to go their on my own. Don't get me wrong, it's good... it's just not on the list of places I consider recommending when asked about places to eat.

I've never been to Bouchon but always wanted to go. So, I would be in the Bouchon camp.

12. 2wayparlay

2wayparlay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bouchon. I always eat there. I've been to MAG for dinner and I got to admit their steak frites was pretty awesome. I think Bouchon has the best french fries but MAG is giving them a run for their money.

13. mattMN10

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Buchon has to be our brunch spot and we will def give MAG a try for either for lunch or dinner one night during the week. I have 568 places I wanna try this trip so it's going to be fun ;) haha! Thanks everyone for the thoughts I really appreciate it! Can't wait for the food at Buchon!!!!

Buddies 4th of July Bash
  14. mattMN10

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By the way, how long are you heading out to Vegas? Our trips are closely aligned! :drunk:

Buddies 4th of July Bash
  15. 2wayparlay

2wayparlay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only a couple of days. Meeting friends for a bachelor party :noangel: then flying out to LA for the wedding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.