1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest refunds on price drop

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by sporty8705, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If i booked a flight a few hours ago, and then checked back just now and saw a price drop and i cancelled, and rebooked and it shows a credit do i get the refund back to my debit card, or do i get a credit on southwest.com?

i tried to book another flight just now with the credit and it wont allow me to, even with my name and confirmation number.. it gave me an error message//

2. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I did this, refund by heck was an option as I did the cancellation. If it was not there you may be stuck with the credit to use on a future flight.

That was a while ago that I did that. Have so many points now I rarely pay and if I do I don't check again after I book. And with points they just credit them instantly.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you buy the "gotta get away" fare they are not refundable for cash but you are allowed to change/rebook and you don't have to pay a fee. You either get a credit(not to your CC or debit care but to use on SWA) or you pay the difference in fare. There is no need to cancel your flight and then book. I wouldn't want to risk the flight becoming sold out or a price change again. Just log in, go through the normal flight change process and just select your same exact flight again. I've done this several times. I just apply it to future flights.

5. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you bought the original flight as a wanna get away fair keep note of the original confirmation number. When you buy a future ticket there is a field where you can apply the previous credits while paying. Just type in the old confirmation number and it will apply the funds. You can keep using that number until all the funds are used up and you can even use it to pay the taxes on flights booked with points.

6. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have credit, I believe you can only use that credit after the flight you received it for has occurred.

So if I rebooked a Columbus to Vegas flight and got $50 in credit, I couldn't apply that credit to the Vegas to Columbus return trip. Hope this makes sense.

7. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly what I was going to say. You cannot use the credit until the flight is complete. Also, as someone else said SWA isn't real clear but you have to type in the original confirmation number to use the credit on the future flight. It trips a lot of folks up, I cannot imagine how many never use the credit because they don't understand all the stips.

8. powersof10

powersof10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience you don't have to wait until the original flight has taken place. You can use it as soon as it's canceled and you have 12 months from the purchase date to do so. They can also do this over the phone if you prefer to book that way.

9. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done this many times. Powerof10 is spot on with his info.

10. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what ended up happening? Don't leave us hanging?:drunk:

11. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to book another flight with the "travel credits" that i had for the difference in fare price and it kept coming up with error messages saying to make sure the confirmation number was correct, and that my first and last name were correct, so maybe since it was within 24 hours i get the credit to my debit card?? I will wait a few days and see

12. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anytime that I used SW credits when I tried to book I got an error message like that and I dropped middle Initial and it worked. Good Luck

13. markr520

markr520 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if anybody in here is military, but if you are, call SW. They offer you essentially the "wanna get away" fare over the phone and its fully refundable! Unfortunately, you don't get more rapid rewards points for the flight, but the flexibility to cancel if you get a great rate and have the freedom for a refund, its the best of all worlds.

14. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yea i didnt book with a middle initial.. its weird. i will wait and see

15. jon_vegas

jon_vegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if it's within 24 hours, then it gets credited back to your card - but probably takes a few days since the original transaction may not have been processed yet.

16. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you get a credit from SW how long do you have to use it before you lose it?

17. jon_vegas

jon_vegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    one year from when you originally purchased them.

18. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not received a reply from SWA but am wondering what the procedure is if you want to extend the one year credit thing.....we have until August but probably won't be able to use it until December....anyone know what type of fees are involved if it is possible?

I will post their reply if it comes prior to an answer here...thanks

19. sharpey

sharpey Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By Law

You are permitted to cancel and receive a ' Full Refund" by law,in your case to your debit card. However that may take a few days.

20. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest policies change often and they are in a lot of flux right now. The old policy was you could pay a fee to extend. I tried to do this about a year or so ago and was told that was no longer an option. It is a year and you lose it. I was also told that I couldn't use my credit until I completed the original flight, others have said they have done so. I kept receiving an error message and phone SWA and was told that was the reason. Things obviously change, but I doubt they go back to extending they 1 year thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.