1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bend, OR, HOAs going after short-term rental occupancy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I received an email from the owner of a property I'd rented this coming summer for the guys' annual golf getaway. Apparently some owners are pissed off by the great number of short-term rentals in town: "bad" guests, neighborhood disruption, parties, what not. (I remember quite a few 20-kids-in-a-condo trips back in the day coming over from Eugene. Now it's three or four guys who care about great golf, great food, great drinks and sleep.) The city has a licensing program in place and is (slowly) looking into what further steps might need to be taken. Meanwhile, a number of HOA boards have voted to disallow vacations rentals short of x- -- typically 30- -- days occupancy.

The board at our condo has not yet taken such an action, but it is being considered, and the owner said she'd release with no cancellation penalty; she gets proactive outreach points. Interestingly enough, over the weekend we decided to move the trip back to September so call it kismet kismet.

We have a property in mind for September but that owner has bypassed my questions regarding his HOA. So I guess we'll just rent in Sunriver this time.

I can see both sides of the argument on this, but Bend is a tourist town, and vacay rentals are one of the sustaining ingredients in the community's lifestream. I see a lot of attorneys billing a lot of hours.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, the old NIMBY attitudes striking again. :) Bend is a tourist town and while I can understand wanting to have that neighborhood feeling and not being able to get that with a bunch of short term rentals in the area, that plan seems short sighted.

You know we've been staying at SunRiver more and more. It's just too easy to deal with them and they have so many different kinds of rentals (homes, condos, townhouses) and they have all the amenities we want there. The downside is not being able to walk over to Wall Street and peruse the restaurants and shops in Bend. I'm surprised I don't miss that as much as I thought I would.

Hope it works out for you. I have a favorite place in SunRiver over by the Wildlife center and the "lake" but I'm not sharing which one it is because IT'S MINE!!!!! :wink2:

3. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big issue in several parts of Hawaii too as I'm sure you know Ken.
    Over there it's due to the huge influence the resorts have on the lawmakers.
    It's becomming a concern in parts of Malibu too. Airbnb is the primary cause here.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most HOA's should be renamed HAA's- Horse's Ass Associations. We lost our condo in Cape Coral because some ninny didn't like big dogs. What made it really stupid was that the offending dogs lived in the surrounding neighborhood, not within the condos governed by the association. So the policy cost us a nice place, cost one of the members a good repeat renter, and solved nothing. We're still shifting around six years later.

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my other life, I worked in property management. I was so excited to move from the renters department to the condo associations department as it felt like a move up. What ended up happening is that I spent 60% of my time in HOA meetings. Ugh - talk about soul crushing! I would always end up sitting there thinking "You people seriously need a hobby!" :haha:

My mother insists that she loves living in a place with an association, even though she complains about the CC&R's all the time. I would never like living there because if I want to put a giant T-Rex sculpture in my front yard, I need to. :wink2:

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are so right. Especially in non resort areas like Kailua and Lanikai. They try very hard to chase off the tourists, first by not allowing commercial activities at the beaches and then by limiting street parking in the area. They want to come up with new rules limiting B & B's because they don't want the residential areas to be inundated with short term rentals.

Not sure but I think that Obama would also fall under the short term rental (lol) when he stays in Hawaii over the Christmas and New Year holidays. Not sure why nobody is grumbling when he rents in that area (Kailua).

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you, sometimes it feels like these people (HOA) are the only ones in the building, setting their own rules and expecting everyone else to conform to those rules. They seem to have their own little clique, everything has to be done their way. They have the majority on the board so they disregard any suggestions you may have (it has to be "their" suggestions, I made a suggestion once and they ignored it, yet 2 years later they implemented the suggestion and patted themselves on the back for "their" suggestion). These guys are like kids in a candy store, HOA money is theirs and they can spend it on whatever they want. We had a special assessment to fix some things, at the same time they also approved the upgrade of our elevators and had a special assessment for that. We grumbled, they could have waited on the elevators instead of soaking us with a double assessment. Their comment was "we are an exclusive condo so if you can't afford the assessments you should move to a condo that wasn't as exclusive". What a bunch of arrogant arses. :Þ

There used to be a "housing patrol" person (retired person with nothing else to do), she would go around and give us notices, the unit's front door was dirty so needed painting or else or they didn't approve of the awnings on our balcony or didn't approve of the lanai chairs we purchased for the lanai or said that we needed to clean our parking stall, etc. You get point. Luckily she passed away and we haven't been bothered with those "rules" anymore.

8. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a town where everything the city council does is for the tourist industry - we must be the bed and breakfast capital of Texas if not the United States. We have 2 bed and breakfast on our block of 18 houses and 1 house just sold and the next door neighbor is selling hers. So chances are we are adding 2 more. Most of the B&Bs consist of renting the entire house out. We live close to the town square where something happens every weekend. They drafted us into the historical society because our neighborhood is old - That same week we got a letter from the Historical society stating the things we could and couldn't do to our property. In ten years our property value has more than doubled - so with that our property taxes have doubled. I know I'll get smacked if I am not careful - -- I'll just say that I am being taxed out of my house we bought 15 years ago when it was affordable. In 2001 I paid about $800 - this year $2800 - so actually tripled and going for the quad.

There are bed and breakfasts everywhere -- Wineries are popping up everywhere, add the wildflowers and hills and antique shops etc. Main Street is protected from any chain stores - of course they bend that rule when they want to. The little Mom & pop stores are mostly gone. The only ones that can now afford the rent are the exclusive boutiques. - I am for keeping Historic Main Street unique, but we can't even get a Starbuck's on the outskirts of town. McDonald's and Whataburger fought for years trying to get in. --

No way our town council will ever discourage the B&B activity. I am not saying we should, if I could I would turn our little house/cottage to a B&B - but no way would my husband ever do that. We joke around at the hospital now that we need to go into business with a Hangover Heaven type bus/RV like Vegas has and follow the wine tours around. We get a lot of women(mostly) who come out for a girlfriend's weekend and then end up in the ER after jumping in the hot tub after the wine tours. Thought I would throw in a vegas connection.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.