1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sleep Number

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Publius, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I am shopping for a new mattress after my current one is just not comfortable anymore. Anybody have any experience with Sleep Number? I tried one out at the store and it felt good, but I want opinions from people before I make a huge purchase like this.

Out of all the mattresses I have slept on I still find the ones at Aria the best but I don't think I want to buy the one they use.

I'm looking forward to see what you all think

FlightSimExpo 2024
  2. joaks

joaks desert tortoise

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tempur is my choice. But I would take either one over their cheap knockoff versions or a traditional mattress.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've stayed at a few hotels/resorts that had Sleep Number beds, and while I get the idea, neither of us was that impressed. Of course, we're extra-firm types anyway so that might have something to do with it. We have two high-end traditional Cal King mattress/box springs combos in our two guest rooms but when it came time to put a new one in our room three years ago, we ended up going high-density foam, and after kicking tires on Tempur-Pedics decided first to roll the dice with the Novaform product sold by Costco. $600 vs. multiple thousands and no-harm no-foul with Costco's free test run program. We kept it. We've seen no deformation or sag in three years, and I'm a largo-sized person. If it goes in five or eight or whatever years, we swap out another and we're still money ahead.

YMWV, of course, as always is the case.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I slept on one for a week on a business trip and I hated the thing. If there's a sleep number for me, I never could find it. That said, I have friends who love theirs and talk about it like it's the solution to all the world's problems.

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have owned ours for two years and within the next month when we get our tax returns we are buying a new mattress. We hate it. If my wifes setting is at 35 and im at 45, I feel like I'm on a hill rolling down. I laid on a Restonic a week ago and that is what we are getting. Hopefully I can recoup roughly half of what the sleep number cost us.

6. hundth

hundth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Casper. I have one. It's a hell of a deal.

7. hundth

hundth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you decide to go that route I can get you a code for $50 off.

8. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Several years ago, a similar thread was floating around about the best hotel mattresses and we ended up buying a Palms mattress based upon what T2V posters had to say.
    It came delivered for a very reasonable price and has served us well since.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent a couple days in Louisville at a Marriott and it had one of those sleep number beds... mine was screwed-up, I didn't know how to use it properly or I'm just too damn BIG for it. I'd set the thing then go to bed and I'd wake up and it deflated to the lowest level!!!! Happened both nights!!!

Good luck with your selection... we just replaced a 12 year old mattress set with a really nice Sterns and Foster set and man we sleep GREAT!!!

10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have researched these beds at two different times about 5 years or so apart and each time it was the same result.
    When researching you will find the extreme on both ends of the spectrum as well as every spot in the middle.

The reviews range from freaking awesome to its an overpriced air mattress.

Common complaints are usually the mattress leaks, the pump doesn't last and the foam wears out too quickly.
    It isn't the last bed you buy its the bed you never stop paying for as nothing is completely covered. Everything is prorated so as the mattress, foam and pump fail you have to essentially buy it new and they only last a few years. The foam is the biggest issue of them all.

With that said you still find a lot of people who swear by them and happy they got them. If they were 100% bad they would be out of business.

With all the mixed reviewed we felt it was too much of a gamble to get one and land in the bad section of reviews.

11. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is the problem with the sleep number beds. It is like two air mattresses inside a cover. If you each stay on your own little spot it is great but as soon as you start to move around, you slide into the middle or roll onto the softer side. They have changed since I had mine, but the base on mine drooped in the middle so we were always rolling toward the middle and the foam on the sides deformed after a few years. I now have a mattress with a memory type foam top layer. Way more comfortable

12. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, I'll broach the subject of having sex on a Sleep Number. If you enjoy sex (who doesn't?), this is not the bed for you. You need to be all the way to one side to get somewhat comfortable. One knee seems to always go into a spot that makes you feel like you are going to fall over. Of course, when both of you are on the same side, that side compresses, which may be uncomfortable for the one on the bottom. Long story short, this bed sucks in the intimacy department big time.

I'm also in total agreement with mikeinctown's assesment. We dealt with ours for about 5 years, then sold it on CL and bought a mattress from Treasure Island.

13. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lmao! Exactly! I think they are made for old people who don't move once they lay down for bed.

14. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was prepared to take a serious hit on a bed...to the tune of $6,000. I thought the Sleep Number was just a glorified air mattress. I went with a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. The only problem? Sleeping through the alarm because I am OUT when I'm in that thing.

15. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We slept on one in my friend's house when we visited over the holidays. I was up all night-just couldn't get comfortable no matter how I set it. My friend, on the other hand, loves it. I like pillow tops and this just wasn't plush enough for me.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.