1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

If we looked at your playlist, what would we see for genres and decades?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The bulk of mine would be a fairly even split between classic '70s rock and '00s chill. Way down the percentage scale it would be modern country. Then there'd be a smattering of '80s wave and '90s "adult" and grunge, some current pop.

God, that's fuk'd up.

2. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I listen to a variety of things. I listen to a lot of sport talk radio regularly but also enjoy 90's hip hop/rap, more current rock like Avengend Sevenfold, some older rock like Guns N Roses, various classic rock bands, and can even handle things like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. Surprisingly, my first real concert was a country concert and I can't really stand that music.

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    most of my playlist is Vegas oriented...

Elvis,
    Frank
    Dino
    Prima
    etc...
    faith hill
    lots of songs from Vegas related movies
    too many to list, but I am sure you know the tunes...

out that in that laptop on the way to Vegas... cranked to the max on arrival.

but normally i rotate between 50's - 70' R&R... and country.... don't like biubblegum or disco crapola...
    80's were a waste

4. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I listen to anything. Stix, Rush, Bryan Adams, into rap. .nwa, easy e..to skrillex and calvin harris all the way back to Kansas my wayward son lol

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I have like 6000 songs in iTunes and a ton of playlists, its so varied depending on my mood...but somewhat in order of frequency I mostly listen to:

90s hip hop, r&b
    current day hip hop, r&b, dance
    80s new wave/synth pop
    70s classic rock
    80s-90s hard rock
    sometimes oldies stuff like billie holiday...

6. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I'm driving I listen to sports radio 95% of the time. Mike and Mike in the morning, Colin Cowherd over lunch, and The Buckeye Show on my afternoon drive.

I can tolerate pretty much any type of music, with the exception of screamo and death metal. I'd say I listen to 70% modern country, 20% alternative rock (Blink, Yellowcard, etc), 8% hip hop/rap (BoB, Kanye West, Eminem) and 2% classic rock.

7. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am all over the place. In order, I would have to reply…
    Classic Rock
    Motown
    R&B
    Pop
    Folk
    And the beat goes on…

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I listen to a lot of 80's post-punk type of stuff like Smiths, Echo, Church, REM, P Furs, Depeche Mode. Classic rock with a bluesy twist like Zeppelin, Allman Bros, Skynyrd. Classic reggae like Marley and Tosh. Some 60s/70s classic rock like Hendrix, Who, P Floyd, Dead and a lot of newer alternative stuff like Vance Joy, Modest Mouse, Cage the Elephant, Banks, Walk the Moon, Airborne Toxic Event. And Metallica and AC/DC.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a 56 year-old white guy, you'd be surprised at the amount of rap I listen to... Lil Wayne, Snoop, Akon, Ludacris, Eminem, Eve, City High, Biggie, Pitbull are some I have on my IPhone. I can also switch to Country at the drop of a hat... Brantley Gilbert, Lady Antebellum, Dirks Bentley, Jerrod Neiman, Brad Paisley, Bocephus, Florida Georgia Line, Sarah Evans. I also like Bruno Mars, Whitney, David Ruffin, Kid Rock lots of Motown stuff and I love 70's funk... Tower of Power, Graham Central Station, Sly & the Family Stone, Ohio Players.... Yellow Card, Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, All American Rejects, Killers and Panic at the Disco (Las Vegas bands), Magic!... of course AC/DC, UFO, Pat Travers Band, Journey, Boz Skaggs, Van Halen, anything Sammy Hagar.... And YES... I've even been know to bang my head to some SlipKnot and Metallica as well.

People are often surprised when they get in my vehicle!

10. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never calculated this. Looking at my collection of songs in Media Monkey...

1960's: 1 song (this is criminal, I thought I had way more)
    1970's: 25 songs (equally criminal)
    1980's: 230 songs (I thought I had way more, I love 80's New Wave and 80's pop)
    1990's: 1141 songs
    2000's: 2717 songs
    2010's: 1253 songs

Strange. The different genres of my songs are a big mix. I thought I had way more 60's-70's songs, as I love old soul/oldies/motown.

I think its because I prefer streaming on Rhapsody. I like playing complete albums, I just don't have the actual album in mp3 format.

edit: I knew something was off, I have a bunch of Elton John albums classified in the 1990's, likely due to re-releases on CD. Now I have to reclassify their album years.

11. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, it looks like my playlist starts WAY earlier than the respondents so far, or they've just forgotten how old some of their songs are.

Pre-war - all the old bluesmen like Robert Johnson, Son House, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and all the old John and Alan Lomax recordings on the Library of Congress "Treasury of Field Recordings"
    Post War - 40s and 50s: Big Bill Broonzy, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Elvis, Dean, Frank, Bill Monroe
    60s - Brit bands, (Kinks, Who etc), Soul, Surf pop, Bluebeat, Ska and Reggae
    70s - I turned 17 in 1976, so punk, punk, punk.
    80s - Post punk, indie, electro-pop, Hip hop
    90s - Brit pop, grunge, Rap
    00s - Rap, indie, pop
    10s - Just whatever takes my fancy. Very little modern pop chart music. More rap and indie. Most recent buy was the Young Fathers, a Scottish alternative hip-hop band.

I spend 3 hours a day commuting by train, and I have my music on constant shuffle and love some of the juxtapositions you get.

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

As a somewhat FORMER musician -
    I span decades.
    A bit of "History Of Rock + Pop" thrown in --
    I don't listen to anything "current'.....I've listened to popular music "inside out"
    for decades......songwriting + recording..
    My ear hears "disposable" way too frequently --
    Most Popular Music is rehashed, with a smart new producer, adding the new sound magic !
    All that "B.S." being said --
    I've drifted into researching "Crooners"
    I'm digging up recordings of these guys all the way back to the 30's.
    IMHO,
    You can watch the antics of the newest Rock wannabes - with their outrageous behavior -
    and NONE OF THEM was more outrageous than CAB CALLOWAY !!
    His sound + act WAS crazy !!....GOOD !!!

13. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You would find the following in mine:
    60s & 70s Dylan & Stones + CCR...some Beatles & Simon/Garfunkel
    70s Jackson Browne, Eagles, Emmylou, Seger, Springsteen, Jimmy Buffet.
    80s Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, Shake Russell, Nanci Griffith, Lyle Lovett
    90s Toad the Wet Sprocket, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows, Wallflowers
    2000s? Not much other than the above artists' releases in this century... I do sort of like Mumford/Sons.

14. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly, I listen while putting in laps on the elliptical. For that, you need something upbeat:

Jimmy Buffett
    Beatles
    Eagles
    stuff like that, plus certain country artists, classical Spanish guitar, Bach, Mozart- the right selections

I like jazz, as well as classical piano music and singers like Sinatra, and listen to them at other times, but those do not work at the gym. Context matters.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at my smart phone at what's accumulated on it at this time, sorting by artist, I get ...

3 Doors Down
    Aha
    Asia
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Beau Brummels
    Black Keys
    Bob Dylan
    Bon Jovi
    Boston
    Box Tops
    Brill Bruisers
    Bryan Adams
    Calling
    Cat Power
    Counting Crows
    Danger Danger
    Dire Straits
    Doors
    Edgar Winter
    Epstein's Mother (local to LV)
    Fire Over Gibraltar
    Foo Fighters
    Fortunes
    Genesis
    Jethro Tull
    Joan Osborne
    John Hiatt
    Journey
    Kings of Leon
    Krystal Keith
    Led Zepp
    Leslie West
    Live
    Love
    Metallica
    Nickelback
    Night Ranger
    Ozzy
    Phil Ochs
    Poco
    Quiet Riot
    REM
    Rascals
    RHCP
    Rod Stewart
    Stones
    Scorps
    Seether
    Shinedown
    Steppenwolf
    Survivor
    Sutherland Brothers
    Tesla
    Volbeat

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  16. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A quick scroll thru iTunes shows a predominance of 60s & 70s rock, with a healthy overlay of jazz/country/folk/world music. Motown is heavily represented as well. The list would be a lot more diverse and about 12 times larger if I included vinyl, since I worked at a record store for years.

17. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Little bit of every genre EXCEPT country, Johnny Cash not included. I run my Spotify at work and if you walk by four times in an hour you might here Snoop Dog, House of Pain, Dead Kennedys and Tiesto in those 4 trips. I have certain artists I play enough they have their own lists like Clapton, Santana, Kid Rock, Pink Floyd, CCR and Rush and an entire playlist devoted to nothing but Metal bands with female lead vocalists like Lacuna Coil, Halestorm, Sirenia and Nightwish. Just no Country, except Johnny Cash and he don't count :thumbsup:

18. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    70's: A lot of Led Zeppelin and punk music
    80's: A lot of REM and the electronic music that grew out of seventies punk
    90's: A lot of hard rock and metal doing their best Led Zeppelin imitation
    00's: A lot of the variations on electronic and techno music

I Need Spa
  19. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost all of the genres already noted, plus Broadway/show tunes, which no one else has said yet ;-)

I love music from the 50s through today though I haven't liked pop (pop pop or pop country) for the past couple decades. Mostly enjoy old country (90s my fave but some 60s-80s plus current "alt-country" and Americana), old(er) folk music, "classic" rock from 70s & 80s (gak) and new wave from the 80s. Oh, and Christmas music. I will listen to Christmas music from November through mid- January. All kinds, from Tchaikovsky & Boston Pops to the crooners to country to the new stuff. Oh, Irish pub bands plus classic celtic music.

I too love some of the fun juxtapositions of pandora or my mp3 on shuffle. I generally prefer to have music I can sing along with (which is one reason I only listen to music at work when my office mate isn't here ;-)

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flogging Molly?

Try it, you might like it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.