1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Trip to Vegas may be stopped, Major storm coming east.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jfw831, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well now, a major storm is coming my way, was to leave Philly airport Tuesday evening,7:31pm. I'm a little upset now. Total cost for me and the wife was $234.40,R.T.
    Wednesday night was to see Carrot Top, purchased discount seats, [email protected] each row c, near center, online. Was to spend the day at Fremont street. Thursday spend some time during the day around Harrah's, we're staying there, then hitting a nice place for dinner. Then flying out Friday morning. just a flyer, this storm is a real bummer. The flight is with spirit airlines. Was going to purchase their cheap trip insurance,covers up to $300.00, which covers us @2x$14.00 ea. Have 24 hours before flight to decide. Never ever been in this position before. What will Spirit offer if storm cancels or closes the airport? I have no problem reschedule, soon, same price. Damn this so called yankee clipper!

2. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many airlines will have travel waivers in place now. I know United does. This waives change fees for people switching their flights.

I am not sure Spirit does this but if I were you I would call them now and see if you can push it back to another date or maybe leave earlier.

3. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are most likely fucked flying spirit. You might be lucky to get a flight credit. I remember my friend flew back from vegas using spirit. Flight got cancelled for no reason. He bought a new ticket on another airline. I think he got flight credit after arguing with the managers

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always sweat this with our winter trips. I would buy the insurance sooner rather than later for that price.

5. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tuesday all day is supposed to be snowy with high winds on the East coast, so I don't think your flight will make it out.

6. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah this weekend is gonna suck for us...... JFW any chance of flying out Monday instead...... It would be worth paying an extra day for a hotel if you can get a flight out.

7. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit will probably charge you to call them and charge you when they tell you to eff off. Worthless airline.

I have a 9 am flight tomorrow from Hartford to Detroit to Salt Lake to Oakland (because I hate SFO!) which is the start of a two week trip which will see me in Walnut Creek, Salt Lake, Kemmerer, WY, Opal, WY then back to Hartford (for one night then off to Anchorage).

I should be OK as they are saying first flakes by 5 pm. I live 60 miles from the coast and they're expecting 73 mph wind gusts here and 18 inches of snow. Weather people are freaking out!

Weird thing is I saw bluebirds for the first time this winter at my feeder on Friday. Bet they wish they had a gift card to LL Bean!

8. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm as nervous as you are JFW. Mine leaves Wednesday morning from BWI. Looks like it'll wrap up Tuesday evening so I think you'll just be delayed a good bit. Last February I had a Spirit flight delayed too long for a layover, no insurance. They gave me a full refund, so there's hope.

9. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALL IS GOOD!!!! Tried to change on Spirit's web site, it kept charging us, a mess. Anyway we called, took 57 minutes, then we talked and we changed to next monday 2-2-15 to 2-5-15 thursday. No problems with spirit, wife said the lady was real nice, checked their site and everything has been changed with spirit. Man, glad thats done!! Cancel car rental and called Luxor and canceled carrot top tickets, -10.00 service charge. Bummer with thrifty car at $12.00 and change for 2 days. will have to watch all over and seek a new show. Spirit emailed me with the travel advisory and Yea, I thought they where going to charge us per minute on the phone. But no xtra charges, lady said the website was charging fee's and all. for any living in the mid atlantic, check your email, I feel this storm is going to be nasty, some airlines out of Philly have canceled already for Tuesday. Again, spirit didn't charge, just have your dates and old confir#, and wait it out,,,on the phone. Mother Nature knocked us down, but not OUT!! Vegas I'm coming!!!! Oh, couldn't get tickets to carrot top, not playing when we go next week, thats a bummer.

10. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh yea, did some home work on their insurance,, the carrier travel guard is good,,,,But with spirit, yes it's cheap, but only covers up to a total of $300.00,per ticket. which would of cover our tickets. But again that fine print must be read.

11. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fwiw..... I was gonna suggest that you just drive west. It appearsttyst the storm isn't traveling any farther west. Just up the coast. A flight out of Pittsburgh is doable any day this week. Glad you got it worked out. Mother nature better not mess with buffalo the week of march madness. Ill take a damn bus to Vegas on march 18th if I have too....

12. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From how everyone describes Spirit, it's sounds like talking to their customer service department is calling a 1-900 number.

13. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im also on the east coast (DC area) and leaving on Friday evening. Hope you make it out, this is my worst fear in the winter time.

14. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

I'm happy to hear that Spirit was so accommodating. We're flying out of BWI on Sat. morning and I am constantly checking the weather in Baltimore and here in NJ. We've been stranded in LV several times because of storms on the east coast (including during Sandy) but we weren't too upset about that!

15. daveko69

daveko69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave out of BWI next Tuesday. The 10 day forecast already concerns me. But those are never right anyway so I won't start worrying til about Saturday

16. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, those 10 day forecast. Myself checked earlier, storm was mentioned then, but on Monday, into night and gone Tuesday. No problem. Yesterday, damn weather station called this the storm of the century and my BLOOD pressure just went berzerk!! So much worry, really,,, for what,, it was Las Vegas,,,, thats what. Been there 5 times since 2003 or 04. Every trip there is just so different and enjoyable and it's been 3 years. Just glad I was able to get my self thinking right and rescheduling everything. Yes, Spirit was a concern, I admit, my wife did the talking, and to my surprise,,,, all went smooth. It's been snowing lightly here, Delaware. Going to head up Harrah's Chester, wife has a $70.00 free slot on mondays and Tuesday, then $120.00 on Wednesday or Thursday, then Friday. To bad she's at work.

17. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Chester Harrah's, and when you're craving LV, it just doesn't cut it lol

July 19th - July 24th
  18. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost had the opposite problem last night. Our return trip was on a redeye to Chicago. Received an E-mail during the Super Bowl that the flight was cancelled. After the game I called Frontier and waited on hold about 45 minutes before the recording gave an "Approx 75 minute wait time". We hung up and decided to drive to the airport.

The were able to give us the last two seats on a redeye to Washington Dulles, then a 40 minute wait before a flight to Chicago.

As the lady was doing all the paperwork, a couple next to me was being told that all flights are full to Chicago, Denver and Washington DC until Wednesday morning, and people were being but up at a Hampton Inn on Tropicana. Due to commitments at home (this was a very impulsive trip for us) that would have really been bad if we didn't get on that IAD flight.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.