1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Goat Meat

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody ever tried goat meat. My supermarket carries it. I was thinking about trying a stew.

Yes, I know the Rolling Stones had a album name Goat's Head Soup.

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, it can be really good, but it's best in a "low and slow" recipe w/ a good african or Jamaican style curry

typcally mutton equals goat and not older lamb meat in us butchers counters

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they call it "Cabrito" in Mexico and I had it the last time I was in Monterrey. Slow roasted and excellent. Also had it in the Middle East and Africa. Wish it was served more often here in America.

I have eleven damn goats in the backyard but they are pets - not mine - my 29 year old daughter's and she doesn't live here anymore. I have to pay to feed them and the only thing they're good for is eating weeds, which is a heck of alot easier than the weedwhacker when you own 31 acres!

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I love goat meat. I eat it a lot in Indian goat curries. The best place to get good goat meat is any halal butcher shop. Buy a whole leg and let them chop it up. Cook it with the bones, they are a bit annoying when eating but they add a ton of flavor. Taste between bone-in goat meat and boneless is night and day. Serve it with basmati rice and plain yogurt. Lots of good times with some of my uncles who would cook up a huge pot of goat curry while getting ripped on Chivas or black label.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good. Thanks!

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, when I lived in DC I used to get a goat curry from the indian place for lunch. Yum! And when I was in Africa, a friend taught me to make a goat stew (again, yum!) My husband (who will eat most things) hates goats in general so won't let me bring some home in general to cook here, but yeah, low & slow is how you do it. And typically with some heat ;-)

8. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, goat biryani, goat doubles. Curry and slow cookin'.

9. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had cabrit in Haiti and where I was staying was the only meat in town...tried it once and stuck to the conch and snapper rest of the time.seeing seeing another goat behind the place getting it's throat cut right there either...

Found out that while driving in Haiti,if you hit a loose goat you are supposed to pay the owner a certain amount,but you get to keep the goat.:thumbsup:

But if you hit/bump an old lady to the grass chasing a goat in front of your car you have to take her to the clinic and then to the police station.Then drive to the police chiefs house to pick him him up and then back to the police station where you can see chains and handcuffs on the walls/floor in the back.
    Terms are negotiated..$40 to the woman and $40 to the chief and on our way 2 hours later..And after giving the scammer woman a ride back home.
    And very wary of the same trick crossing the same (only) route back..Midway between Port-Au-Prince to Cap Haitien.

So no Breeze no cabrit for me..Do try some Mamba (Peanut Butter) if available.Really good.Sorry to sidetrack your post a bit..

10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had goat meat in a stew in Vegas, I liked it.

11. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah it is big down here in Houston because of the large Mexican population.

A couple of the guys I work with cook it up on occasion and I have tried it a few ways and I wasn't a fan.

12. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goat is a tasty meat. If you like Mexican, see if you can find a nice birria place around you.

13. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A chef I know told me that world wide, goat is the most consumed red meat on the planet.

It is tasty, like Pleepeus many authentic Mexican dishes use it. Also in Asian and European dishes.

14. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is basically the goat stew we made in Africa (I was in Tanzania but my colleague who taught me to make it is Kenyan) http://www.adventuressheart.com/2015/01/kenyan-goat-stew.html

We had meat with bones so chopped to fit in the pot, lot of tomatoes, garlic, cumin - wasn't spicy hot but was very delicious!

My husband brought home a couple pigs (feral) from his Nov hunting trip in Florida- I might try this recipe with some of that meat (those pigs are VERY lean)!

15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have an annual World Goat BBQ Goat Cook-off in the sprawling metropolis of Brady, Texas. Never been and have never had BBQ goat but I heard it is really good.

16. joaks

joaks desert tortoise

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had some goat meat in a Mexican restaurant in North Las Vegas about 5 years back. It was some sort of authentic celebration recipe (so the waiter said). If I remember correctly, it was a tomato based soup/stew and had lots of small bones with the meat still attached. I was not fan, more so because of the effort to eat it (picking meat off the small bones) than the taste. I should have just ordered fajitas heh.

17. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have ate goat many times in middle eastern and african dishes. Very good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.