1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Property Buffets

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by alburtis26, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alburtis26

alburtis26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are staying for a part of our trip at the Luxor. Our preferred breakfasts are very basic, eggs/omelet, bacon, piece of fruit, maybe french toast - nothing elaborate. Would it be worth it to go to another property for a breakfast buffet or (for these types of food) would they all be generally the same? Cost is not an issue - just don't know if walking next door to Mandalay Bay, or across the street to MGM (or driving to Mirage/Aria etc...) is needed for breakfast. If the quality of food is very different, we would probably go somewhere else. We just don't want to go somewhere for the name or for specialty items that we wouldn't eat anyway. We normally stay at the other end of the strip and only get to the south end after lunch or for dinner.

Thanks in advance!

Back again!
  2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would walk to the Excalibur and use their new buffet. We have stayed at the Luxor a few times and we would walk to Mandalay Bay, but if you only want basics I wouldn't bother. The buffer at Luxor is pretty dismal.

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, the Luxor buffet is "life sustaining". I define that as nothing great and nothing inedible.

I typically pass on the high end buffets for breakfast unless I'm not eating again until dinner.

It would be interesting to hear a review of the new buffet at Excalibur.

Well, since bswim ranked them in order, I have eaten at: (mLife buffets)

Bellagio
    Aria (2 times)
    MGM Grand (3 times)
    Mirage (3 times)
    Mandalay Bay
    Monte Carlo
    Luxor
    Excalibur

I have also eaten at Wynn, Caesar's and the Wicked Spoon (Cosmopolitan)

I would rank them as follows:

1st tier

Wicked Spoon, Wynn, Bellagio and Caesar's (pretty much tied for food quality)

2nd tier

MGM Grand
    Mirage
    Aria
    Mandalay Bay
    Monte Carlo

3rd tier

Luxor
    Excalibur

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have eaten at the following MLife buffets.
    MGM Grand
    Aria
    Mirage
    Mandalay Bay

MGM was by far the worst. I'd also rank it lower than Rio, PH, and Paris.

Have eaten twice at Mandalay Bay. First time was brunch and we weren't impressed. Went back last February for dinner and it was a good buffet for the money.

5. warpdrvr

warpdrvr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also would say to give the new buffet at Excal a try. We had the breakfast at Luxor a few weeks ago and it had gone WAY downhill from the last time we ate there 2 years ago. It used to be right at low end average, but it's now gone into the NO-GO zone for us. Luckily we had it on a MyVegas comp. Not only was food deplorable but the service was horrible as well. An unknown at Excal trumps a known bad buffet at Luxor.

6. john1516inny

john1516inny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have found Aria to be decent, desserts aren't too bad. Just a little pricey.

7. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just for fruits eggs bacon just stay at the luxor, why walk to get the same stuff elsewere.

8. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Aria buffet, for some reason, has the BEST scrambled eggs. It's the most random thing ever. I heard about it on the Vegas podcast, someone called in about them, and damn they were great, but i wouldn't drive to Aria and wait inline for them.

But, in all seriousness, I'd just eat at Luxor.. or just find a coffee shop. Then at least you can have fresh eggs any way you'd like..probably the same price as a buffet. Not sure if Luxor still have a coffee shop?

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luxor has that Pyramid café that is like a coffee shop. I ate there last june and it was just ok. Kinda spendy.

10. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Vegas several times and have tried the following buffets with comps or MyVegas rewards.

I'll list them top to bottom as my preference

MGM- everything was great, best mac and cheese I have ever had. Wife was disappointed with desert bar.

Mandalay Bay - I really enjoyed this buffet. Good variety very fresh.

Aria - wife liked it more than me ......... the fresh ice cream saved me from ranking it lower.

Bellagio - fell woefully short of what I expected. Maybe it was just an off day but we were disappointed.

Excalibur ..... not the new one. It gets a bad rap but in all honesty there is something on this buffet for everybody. I liked the prime on a yeast roll of all things. Its a busy buffet so it turns over a lot and stays mostly fresh,

Luxor - - avoid

Monte Carlo - pure garbage. We got up and left in SEPT after just nibbling on a few items. I posted a review about it - the thing I remember most was saying " Some of the food I saw on the serving line really made me question the thought process of what was going on behind the scenes. Funny thing is that Monte Carlo has some of the best places to eat at that end of the strip but GD that buffet is just awful.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does it have to be a buffet? Backstage Deli has all that and it's at the Luxor...

12. alburtis26

alburtis26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all. I think we will try Excalibur at least one day.

Back again!
  13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's hard to screw up breakfast. My Wife and I go to different places for breakfast simply to "change up" things, doing something different everyday.

14. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you only talk about breakfast, I would say all of them about the same.

15. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

For us it is easy for them to screw up breakfast. It seems that on most breakfasts that we have had, its their potatoes or anything over easy eggs that is cold. But I do love all the bacon or ham.

16. stelliebean

stelliebean Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buddy V's at venetian vs Veranda at Mandalay Bay/Four Seasons for Sunday Brunch. Anyone eaten at either of these two? Recommendations?

17. billduhcat

billduhcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the question is asking about buffets, but I really like the America coffee shop at NYNY for a south strip breakfast.

18. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at MGM about five years ago that included free buffets for two. We were there for 5 nights and by the 3rd day we only ate one meal at the buffet the the next three days. Last year I had some comps to use so we tried the brunch not expecting much and it was very good.

Mark

19. kansaisupra

kansaisupra Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have probably eaten at every buffet on the strip multiple times in the last 5 years.

I tried the new Excalibur buffet on Saturday and it was pretty decent. It was a brunch around 12pm. The decor, atmosphere is pretty nice. Way better then the old buffet.
    There are a few new items, crab legs was a nice touch and roast beef was decent. Other then that the food is pretty much the same. It does seems a bit smaller food selection wise than before. For your basic breakfast items, its fine. I think the best thing I like about Luxor/Excalibur buffet is you can pour your own drinks. There is a soda/drink machine to get whatever/whenever you want.

I would definitely play the myvegas.com game and redeem a 2-1 breakfast coupon. I dont think I would play full price for 2 people.

20. rayzor

rayzor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a buffet in NYNY I think its called Chin Chin it was really good,it wasnt a huge buffet but the items were high quality and very fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.