1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant pilots vote to authorize strike

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like it may be a possibility down the road. Either way, this would easily keep me off any Allegiant flights until this squared away.

Moderator Note:
    Please don't turn this into a debate over union vs non-union or turn it political :thumbsdown:

2. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant passengers are the ones who should go on strike! LOL. It's really a tough thing as when your whole company is built on being an ultra low cost carrier that has to be carried all the way through to your employees. I can see it from both sides. I can also say that while initially I used to like the concept of having a super low fare, and then paying for the "add ons" I wanted, I no longer feel that way. For me, my vacation time (which my flight is an integral part of) is way to valuable to try and save a few bucks and have a terrible flight experience either coming or going). Therefore, I actually drive an extra 1/2 hour to an airport served by Southwest, where I pay more "up front" for the flight, but in the long run, because of the free baggage, etc, It isn't that much more in real dollars, but I have a much better flying experience.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terri flew Allegiant for the first time when she met me in Vegas last month. We have essentially zero other flight options unless we want to drive two-plus to Burbank. That's too bad because she faced multiple delays, essentially no input from staff on updates and of course the usual niggling penny-ante shit for which Allegiant is infamous.

4. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So if a strike were to happen, when does everyone think it would take place? How long does it take the National Mediation Board to respond to a request?

If they requested a release today and it took a week to respond, that would be January 26th. A 30 day waiting period would allow them to strike than at the end of February.

Would the union likely ask them to strike as soon as possible? Or would a strike likely be further down the road (April or May?)?

Just trying to figure out how unions operate and what the realistic timeframe might be a of a disruption in service.

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember People's Express? You had to drag your bags onto the ramp and walk up stairs to get onto the plane because they were too cheap to pay for the use of a Jetway. How'd that work out? Travelling by air sucks, particularly when you travel 125,000 miles a year in an airplane like I do. I'd never fly Allegiant with it's trash compactor seats and pay to stand up and stretch fees.

Maybe Allegiant wants to charge their pilots for their bags in the cockpit and $3 for a water?

Perhaps the pilots going on permanent strike would be a good thing for the industry? Just wondering....

6. Reel Investor

Reel Investor Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we flew Allegiant, it was indeed the cheapest option. But.... on the departure flight, it was delayed for nearly an hour. The pilot wasn't locked in the room yet and being seated near the front, I could hear his various conversations. He mentioned multiple times that there was an error and that it needed to be resolved before they could take off. There was some back and forth throughout the hour timeframe, with someone relaying to him that control (or whoever) told him to ignore the error and proceed. At this point, everyone who could hear the conversation was getting pretty nervous. Finally, the pilot came out of the cockpit, saying angrily that this plane wasn't going ANYWHERE until the errors was resolved, and that he wasn't putting himself or passengers at risk. He then left the plane. Shortly afterwards, it was announced we were being moved to a new plane, which took another hour to get in place and get everyone going.

In short, this company is willing to risk your safety to keep their flights in line. I'll never fly them again.

7. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that's scary.
    I know they're average fleet age is about 22 years old.

My sister-in-law lives up north of Seattle. She's always suggesting that everyone else in the family drive from south of SEA clear up to Bellingham to fly Allegiant because it's cheaper. By the time you factor in the baggage and carryon fee's they're no cheaper.

Oh and she always drives down to SEA when she flies anywhere, go figure LOL

8. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having been through this before this doesn't mean they're even close to going on strike.

When our contract end is about a month out, we have a strike authorization vote. According to our union bylaws they can't start printing shirts and picket signs until we hold that authorization vote. At least as far as my union, this is just a formality.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  9. fresnofishfan

fresnofishfan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Allegiant for Vegas only ,because its so cheap. I have only had one delay. It was a doozy, 4 hr delay coming home. Ill deal with the chance to save money on my boys trips to Vegas. Im 6 hrs out, so driving sucks for a 2-3 day trip. I hope they dont strike...

10. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the aircraft reached cruising altitude, the flight attendants came down the aisle to get an imprint of your credit card so you could pay for the ticket.

12. 34cents

34cents Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is our only direct flight option out of Rapid City and in the 7 years of flying them multiple times a year, have had only one lengthy delay. Typically we arrive 10-15 minutes early in Vegas.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't remember if that was the one, but there used to be a LGA-BOS shuttle where you paid on board. This was LONG before 9/11.

I always wondered what they would do if somebody could not pay. LOL, it's not like on the bus where they can throw you off at the next corner! :)

14. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @34cents - Yeah, that's why this is so bad and stressful for many people as Allegiant is many times the only option for many people because they tend to fly out of regional airports.

15. 34cents

34cents Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well we fly out next week so at least they shouldn't be able to strike before our flight.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, just for giggles, I pulled up the Allegiant web site. I was mainly curious if they would say anything about the strike. Also to see if they had second thoughts about NOT flying to LAS after (re)entering our market. (Nope, still shows only Florida.)

Anyway, plastered all over the front page was this, many times:

Apparently they are able to detect that I am using an ad-blocker, which our local systems geek installed for me both at home and at work. (It makes life on the web soooooo much nicer!)

When he gets in I'm going to show it to him. He swore the sites would not be able to tell it was installed. :)

Oh well ... so it goes ...

17. JennAndRob

JennAndRob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out friday on Allegiant- this will be my 6th time flying to vegas with them- No complaints at all ( knock on wood) My fare has always been exactly what i expected- we've never had a delay or a Plane malfunction issue. and the Pilots and Stewardess' were always friendly and did everything possible to make us comfortable- plane has always been clean- cools down nicely and always a fun crowd to fly with! I hope they don't strike but i hope they get their pay increase and i wish Allegiant would buy newer planes.. hearing they are average 22 yr. old scares me!

18. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only flied with them once so far. The flight out, didn't have any issues at all. Even landed about 20 min early. On the flight back, we were delayed about 30min, but that was because of a sick passenger, so no fault of their own. Do I like paying $2 or $3 for a can of Coke? No. But, on the trip back, I was able to bring on my own. So, no big deal. And, I knew what I was getting into before I got the tickets.
    I know that they've changed the plane flying out of Austin for my next trip, has 3 seats on both sides, instead of the MD80's 2 and 3. So, maybe they're starting to phase out their older planes?

Only them, and SW fly direct out of Austin. It's about $100 more for SW, so I figure it's worth it. But, if they start having issues to/from Austin, then I might look again.

And, I really hope they don't strike until after March... well, April 2nd really, that's the day I fly back.

19. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That looks like it's one of their 757 planes they got a few years ago so they could provide service to Hawaii. They also have some Airbus A319 and A320s that they picked up on the cheap from some European airlines. They are working on eliminating the MD80 planes, mainly because they are getting so much age on them and it's so expensive to do the overhauls on the engines after X number of miles (They just swap engines out with planes and parts from their mothball fleet to save on expenses.)

That and those MD80s are gas hogs. That's why the stopped service from Knoxville to Vegas. The planes were at least 90-95% full, but the fuel costs were eating them alive.

20. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am using them next month. What is a really shitty scenario is fly them out of Sioux Falls to Vegas and have my truck in Sioux Falls, then during my trip they go on strike and there are no other companies that fly into Sioux Falls. Oy

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.