1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf: Badlands

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by abrolsma, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm heading out end of March and want to get a couple rounds in. I saw Badlands has 3 9's - Two of which look extraordinary (Diablo and Desperado) and one that looks average. I'm basing this solely on the flyover plug in on the website. :) any insights? Is it a must play? Already booked Friday tee time at Paiute Wolf which I heard is very nice.

Thanks!

2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played there twice. Both times Desperado and Outlaw. Outlaw is average compared to the Desperado. Outlaw is playable. Desperado is tough. It's target golf but you can score if you keep the ball in play. I didn't get a choice on which 9's to play. The starter just assigned us to them. I've only played two courses in Vegas so I can't tell you it's a must play but Wolf is very highly acclaimed.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outlaw is considered the outlier, but Desperado is my least fave. Still all going to be fun.

Wolf is the deal. Vegas top 10 so easily!! Have fun.

4. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll get mixed reviews on Badlands, but it is one of my favorite courses in Las Vegas. I tell people that you have to think on just about every tee box. I like that. Risk and reward is very apparent here. It can be tight and unforgiving, that's for sure. I am usually an 8 or 9 handicap when I play it. I have struggled out there on occasion, so I can see how an even higher handicap might really struggle and not have a good time.

5. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wolf is a must - especially for a first-timer. As far as Badlands goes there are a few things to consider - condition can be a factor - sometimes they struggle a bit here (although I've been lucky and had no issues). Service can be hit-and-miss (not a big deal for me - golf is the first priority).

Lastly, difficulty can be a problem. Lots of forced carries (of desert) and not as forgiving landing areas/approach shots can not only be intimidating, but also may play a factor into the enjoyment of the course. To give you an example, my friend got frustrated (about a 25 handicap, mind you), and simply quit his round and choose to simply drive the cart and drink beer (actually, that sounds like fun!!). There are some not-so-kind target golf sections that golf balls find nasty spots. If you are a relatively straight hitter, not a problem (especially when you use the proper tee boxes). Also, they pack the course with lots of golfers, so be prepared for a longer round (another 'service' issue).

Luckily, I'm a lower handicap who hits the ball straight, so I found the course enjoyable. I liked Diablo the best, however, did not mind Outlaw (some really good holes (best of the 27 holes), then some boring mixed in).

One last thing - you can get some really good rates at Badlands - especially on sites such as golfnow, teeoff, etc..

Have fun!!

6. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks ken2v - I'm looking forward to wolf. Heard great things. Last trip played both courses in Primm and Tuscany. Wasn't a fan of any really. . Lakes was ok in retrospect.

Big Tip - I play to a 12 so was thinking I should play the whites and not drink a beer every 3 holes.. :) still likely to lose a few sleeves. :)

7. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dooner - thank you so much. It definitely looks difficult and I did notice they have 9 minute intervals for tee times which is pretty aggressive but not insane.. though given the difficulty I suppose it slows down play. I have to drive so I can't opt for the sit and drink option.. :) appreciate your insights ...

8. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snidely - me + target golf = drunk. :)

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not the world's longest hitter but I'm no slouch and I played Desperado off the tips two years ago and it was just too difficult for me; especially the par 3s. It's not just the forced carries but some of the landing areas are small plus they throw in some optical illusions on some holes. I've played Badlands twice and I'd play it again. But I hope to get on Diablo for once.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Badlands but I never went out of my way to play it. Mostly because of the revolving door of management over the years and how truly horrid service and conditioning could be one time and then you roll around again some time and it's OK. I will say it's one of those Vegas courses I've never found to have truly spectacular conditioning, but that's a function of $$$ as well as who is calling the shots, plus the design has something to do with that. And I LOVE #6 on Diablo. Always have. Anyway, given what's available in and around Vegas, Badlands to me is a play-it-some-time course but don't go back until you've tried a bunch of other stuff.

(To the OP, I am not trying to deter you from playing it, btw.)

And to me "Vegas" golf does include outliers, where most of the best courses are found, to boot. I'm a Californian, we'll drive two hours for dinner and come home so the car thing is not a deterrence. And of course I'm always in town with one of our buggies. So to me, Paiute is actually closer than our Costco and I think nothing of an hour to Coyote or even an hour-plus to Mesquite. St. George, sadly -- given how awesome are Sand, Coral and Entrada -- is not a day trip. Primm for us is typically a day in/day out venture if it's on our rota.

Anyway, it's all good -- Vegas golf. And I'm glad to be back doing it with more frequency and of course talking about it with all of you.

11. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that hole typifies the appeal of Badlands. How much to bite off? How far to roll through the fairway? Go over the second waste area, or lay up?
    Think think think. It certainly is not "grab the driver and rip it" off of too many tee boxes.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You ever played Palmilla, BT? Jack has a hole there, Mountain #5, same idea but just jacked up in all aspects. Awesome. Awesome.

13. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find it amusing that a dude named Big Tip put "bite off" in his post - because I am a child.

I've always enjoyed playing courses where you can't automatically pull the driver and walk up to the tee box. Sounds like Diablo is the ticket.. not sure how they wind up determining which 2 9's you play there but hope Diablo is one of them... fully expecting a 5 hour round so hoping I can keep my cool...

14. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip: a piece of advice or expert or authoritative information
    Tip: to give a gratuity to

Just WHAT are you thinking, you nasty man?:wink2:

Ken, no, I have never played in Mexico.

And the solution as to which nines you play is to tell them you want to play all three. We do that almost every time we play there.

15. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I found out my problem - I never lay up - that's why I'm on vacation! If I see green 'fairway', then I fire away. And, yup, hit every fairway at Wolf Creek, not having any idea what I was hitting to. I'd just drive up to the area and find my ball in a 10 foot landing strip - boy, I felt special (+ lucky)!

Oh, and on Diablo hole 6 the driver was boomed into the abyss - oops!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I found out my problem - I never lay up - that's why I'm on vacation! If I see green 'fairway', then I fire away. And, yup, hit every fairway at Wolf Creek, not having any idea what I was hitting to. I'd just drive up to the area and find my ball in a 10 foot landing strip - boy, I felt special (+ lucky)!

Oh, and on Diablo hole 6 the driver was boomed into the abyss - oops!

16. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do have a mind in the gutter. I suspect on a Thursday that shouldn't be a problem and a great idea! Thanks for the Tip! :)

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could break a 100 easily on Badlands.

Of course, then I would have to play the Back 9.

18. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Naw, you were correct. I was just giving you a hard time.

I have learned that it pays to advertise, thus the name!

:evillaugh

19. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

i hear you Dick Magnum:wave2:

20. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, Yup, that is my sometimes Vegas name.

Whatever happened to the "stays in Vegas" thing anyway! :grrr:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.