1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golden Nugget to Institute True Resort Fee

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by kingpasty, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oy....

3. Homeschool

Homeschool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well considering I check in this Wednesday, this will be interesting.....

4. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm guessing you already had your reservations? Let us know what happens with the charge. I've had my reservations for a while, just don't see how they can add a resort fee to rooms booked before the fee?:thumbsdown:

5. Homeschool

Homeschool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get in on Sunday but am at GG for the first 3 nights. Think I should discuss this with the front desk there when I get in on Sunday, to allow more time to rebook elsewhere if they try to tack it on, or just take it up with them Wednesday when I check in? I will not stay there if they try to get me to pay the fee. I suppose there's always the chance this will get resolved before Wednesday anyways, I'm guessing Monday will be a bad day to be a GN desk clerk if they do not honor reservations...

6. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just read that the fee will not be charged to reservations made before January 19.

7. Homeschool

Homeschool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good....I would hope not, it would take alot to undo that bad PR

8. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The link is pretty clear:

9. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love for Golden Nugget to try and explain the now diminished value of a Gold Club or Gold Rush Club room now that they have watered down the one benefit of free access to the gym. Yes, no access to the wet areas but now you will have to suffer with families bringing down little Jimmy who will play on the treadmills. What was once a pretty "okay" gym will now fall into the pit of meh. Did you read the ridiculous attempt they made to assert benefits? Free valet?

10. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bwaa Haaa haa. My favorite part is the free printing of boarding passes at the front desk. It is already backed up, having to wait forever to check in or out sometimes, this should really help.

11. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the saddest thing I've read all week. The GN has been our home in Vegas for years, and we've recommended it to dozens of friends. But I have to admit our last visit was less than remarkable. Now this? No bueno. Maybe it's really time to start looking for a new home base. Sigh.

12. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GN is probably the highest priced hotel downtown already. I find it easier to justify 25 for a resort fee on the strip vs downtown personally.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those bastards! Unlike The D I doubt they will be lowering their room rate to at least partially offset the outrageous fee. This may drive us back to the strip. The price differential is greatly diminished, and we can always take the bus downtown to gamble.

14. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree it's a god damn shame but it is the nicest property downtown and choking down $20/night in the future at GN is easy to stomach than $20/night resort fee at the freaking D or Gold Gate..

At least they throw in 2 bottles of water daily... That is way more than can be said for useless resort fees across the city. People will complain regardless. First it was GN nickel and dimes guest by charging for Internet.. And now this. Always something. A shame nonetheless.

15. Sallymander

Sallymander Freedom 55

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it looks like the new resort fee will pay for the Gold Tower renovations ...

Yes, the Golden Nugget is a nice hotel and yes they are the best hotel Downtown, blah blah blah, but now it doesn't seem "all that" wonderful to me any more. That's just it...it's the best Downtown and IMHO they have now priced themselves out of the Downtown market. When comparing to other Downtown properties, consider their higher room prices, new resort fee, the $25 fee for lounger at the Hideout pool :thumbsdown:, the fee for in-room coffee ($11 for 4 Keurig pods), a crappy loyalty program and high stakes tables why stay there any more?

My last trip to Las Vegas was a real eye opener...I stayed off-Strip at the Palms. For just a little bit more than it would have cost to stay at the Golden Nugget -- plus taking into consideration their $25 resort fee -- I enjoyed an included breakfast buffet, an awesome array of food choices (loved the Happy Hour at Simons :nworthy:), 2 beautiful pools with no lounger fee, reliable WiFi, good gaming, a generous loyalty program, an incredibly beautiful renovated room. They also have a free shuttle to the Strip and a shuttle to the airport ($8 fee). Guess where I'm staying next trip to Las Vegas? I'll visit Downtown but I won't be staying there.

16. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Valet and Parking are part of the Resort Fee. Does this imply that non-hotel guests will be charged for Valet and Parking? May be a dumb question; haven't parked in their garage for years.

17. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They better drop the room prices $20 to compensate.

18. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nugget is nothing special anymore.....

19. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to stay two different properties when I visit for a mid-trip change of home base and the Nugget was frequently in the rotation. Not anymore, if fact during my last trip early December I did not even go downtown for the first time in many trips.

Parking fees, resort fees, alcohol purchase hassles, etc. all have really diminished downtown's appeal to me. Too bad, the non-strip aspect of downtown was really was what I liked the most but now....

20. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not a dumb question, but since the fee doesn't start yet, it's probably too early to tell. It will be interesting to see if they do try to charge for this, otherwise it will make the list of "benefits" for the resort fee, obviously phony. It's silly to tell customers their fee is supposedly going towards something that others don't have to pay for! We will see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.