1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Main Street Station Room Noise

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by FullPay, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first time stay at Main Street Station, unless DTG comes through with some room comps soon. Any people have experience with noise levels in the room, particularly street or train tracks? Any good views or upgrades to ask for?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are in an even # room, then train noise is a factor to some. Get an odd # room with a low #. You'll be closer to Main Street and there is always some noise no matter what room you are in.

Honestly, the train noise never bothers me and we always have an even # room.

3. bsmithy2k

bsmithy2k Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't have a problem with the noise, but the windows only had shutters which did not do a good job of filtering out the morning sun.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We could hear the interstate but it wasn't loud enough to bother us.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Put them in the down position and run your hand down the slats. That seals it up pretty good.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did have a big problem with north facing rooms. They face the interstate and it did bother me. You get to hear all the trucks speeding by and beeping motorists. I will never take a north facing room again. I guess if you had a room on the lower floors the freeway noise may not be as bad but I won't take a chance with a north room as much as possible.

As for the trains, I would stay in the middle of the building in a high floor room. That way you aren't directly near the trains or the traffic on Main street. I did hear the traffic noise when I had a room close to main st, mostly ambulances and fire trucks but also loud trucks and garbage trucks, motorcycles and loud cars and it was enough of a distraction to me when I was sleeping.

7. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard people complaining about noise however I stay there at least once a year for the past 5 years and I have never had my sleep interrupted. I've slept facing noth, south up high and low. I guess by the time I get to my room I'm soo tired that unless a bomb goes off I won't hear anything anyway!

8. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MSS is such a cool place to stay, but among the worst in Vegas for noise-sensitive folks, and even the helpful “hand-flattening blind trick” doesn’t keep the room dark during the morning hours. I have a hard time sleeping in a hotel room unless it’s completely dark and virtually silent, so several years ago I got accustomed to using foam ear plugs and eye shades. It’s been my salvation in Vegas and just about any other big city I find myself in. On the other hand, my wife can sleep through just about anything, and she doesn’t even drink!

Cheers and good luck.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually are on the higher floors and the train noise is muted to us. Actually its quite comforting to hear, lol! I'm an early riser so it doesn't bother me and my Wife can sleep through anything......

10. Hawaiianmark

Hawaiianmark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Innaressing. Never had an issue with noise. Never even occured to me to think it.

Good points to use ear plugs and eye shades if that type of issue is a problem.

11. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have slept on both sides. I found the traffic side quieter than the train side, only because something happened on the tracks in the middle of the night that was so loud, it jolted me and my roommate wide awake.
    I don't know what caused the loud noise... an accident?
    Changing tracks???

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in the sticks. There's not a place in Vegas except perhaps Lake Las Vegas where I don't notice urban intrusions. We stayed at MSS many times over the years, and it was no better or worse than the swankeries of the Strip, where internal mayhem can be worse than all-night traffic. The shutters, Lilliputian bathrooms and cleaning practices were more bothersome.

13. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info, I stop into MSS every trip to gamble. Despite the issues listed I was willing to try a stay there, but I just got off the phone with a host at Downtown Grand who said he'd hook me up with the room nights. After 9 long years I'm heading back to the Lady Luck!

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, lilliputian. I had to rely on Merriam/Webster for that one.

15. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I just spend four nights there and had no problem with the light. I had an even numbered room and didn't notice any noise. I did keep the fan on all the time so maybe that helped drown some out?

16. justvisiting

justvisiting Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carefull Joe, We show our age when we not only know about dictionaries but have one at hand to use.

17. jmp6477

jmp6477 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had no noise problems on our last stay. I think there was more noise when we stayed at Bill's on the strip. My definition of Lilliputian would be my slot winnings over the years.....

18. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I agree with the winnings, lol.

Say, what kind of noise did you encounter at Bills? Party noise upstairs? Traffic noise? I was just curious, I heard that the place upstairs makes a lot of noise at night.

19. jmp6477

jmp6477 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly street noise. Also there was a banner attached to the outside wall and when the wind would blow it knocked against the wall. Very annoying, but still, always had a great stay at Bill's. We find MSS very similar. Going back for our second stay in June.

20. alexlifeson

alexlifeson High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lilliputian is brilliant! I wish that I had some of your word skills. I only understand numbers and equations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.